What happens to the 20,000 people who dont get in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I don't get in on my first try, I'll try to get a job in engineering and reapply the next year. If I don't get in the second time, I'll probably continue as an engineer, get my PE cert, then get my MBA so I can work toward upper-level management or start my own engineering company or do consulting. MD may be my goal, but it's not like my life will end if I don't get in (although I think I have a pretty good chance!)

Members don't see this ad.

The first time i didnt get in, i died. i think the second time i didnt get in, i died twice (first time in a wheat thresher accident, second time under "suspicious circumstances" involving a Uhaul truck and an air compressor - not what you think), and adcoms danced around on my grave singing "hallelujah!"

luckily i had the foresight to apply to one of those one year master's degrees, before playing in the wheat fields. we'll see what happens this time.

Nooooooooooo! Please stop propagating this!

Most physician-scientists are MDs, not MD/PhDs. Even if you just want to do basic science research, an MD is still better than a PhD because you'll command twice the salary for the same job! I've spent a number of years in research and this is a sad fact :(

Please don't tell people that want to do research that they should do a PhD or even an MD/PhD. Training will be faster and more lucrative with an MD only.

At some point in time you absolutely need mentorship and substantial formal training in research, which is not provided with standard MD training and will add years upon years. In the end, the time argument will balance out.

IMO, getting an MD with no desire for clinical practice and just research is a crazy man's choice. Keep in mind that an MD (or MD/PhD) that just runs a lab will earn the same amount as a PhD. It is the clinical component that warrants dollars. A PhD is still a phenomenal career choice if just research is your thing. If you might be thinking about research, but are unsure, the MD option is probably better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nooooooooooo! Please stop propagating this!

Most physician-scientists are MDs, not MD/PhDs. Even if you just want to do basic science research, an MD is still better than a PhD because you'll command twice the salary for the same job! I've spent a number of years in research and this is a sad fact :(

Please don't tell people that want to do research that they should do a PhD or even an MD/PhD. Training will be faster and more lucrative with an MD only.

what basic science job is that, exactly?

At some point in time you absolutely need mentorship and substantial formal training in research, which is not provided with standard MD training and will add years upon years. In the end, the time argument will balance out.

That's what the NIH thought when they originally started funding the MSTP programs. Then after they started looking at the outcomes (i.e. people that actually went into research following medical training), they discovered that the full MD/PhD route was no better than the programs that provide only 1 year of research training apart from medical school (i.e. Howard Hughes, Doris Duke, CRTP, etc.) Now the NIH has started questioning the need for MSTP at all. The similar outcomes is one of the primary reason that Cleveland Clinic has a curriculum with one extra year built-in.

Surprisingly, if you go straight through the standard MD curriculum and do research during residency (without adding any extra time), you will have a number of research faculty positions available to you because there simply aren't enough MD's looking for these spots. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of MD research faculty had no "extra" training beyond what it took to get them board certified in their specialty.

In regards to the fact that MD/PhD is "free" (which you didn't mention, but it always comes up). That fact is nice, but the NIH has loan repayment programs if you end up going into research, so you should be set there. Or you can go to Cleveland Clinic which is free :D

IMO, getting an MD with no desire for clinical practice and just research is a crazy man's choice. Keep in mind that an MD (or MD/PhD) that just runs a lab will earn the same amount as a PhD. It is the clinical component that warrants dollars. A PhD is still a phenomenal career choice if just research is your thing. If you might be thinking about research, but are unsure, the MD option is probably better.

From my own experience, I think these are common misconceptions.

An MD for research-only is a smart choice, not a "crazy man's choice." I would argue that the PhD is the crazy man's choice. Putting yourself through an uncertain, subjective curriculum without a pre-set timeline is pretty bold. Then afterward, you're often expected to do a post-doc, etc. It's also easier to acquire funding as an MD. A while back, I remember seeing some stats that show MD's are ~5-times more successful in the grant-application process.

The PhDs that I met at the NIH (and this goes into the next part of your post), are frustrated that they didn't do an MD instead because they aren't commanding the same salary. The NIH pays a premium for MDs (they are on a different pay-scale), even if they're doing the same work and not doing any clinical work at all. Even if they were doing clinical work, the NIH doesn't collect any money for it (patients are actually paid) so it wouldn't matter to them. Outside of the NIH: if you're an MD and you want to do straight research, I've seen people finagle their way into seeing patients in clinic 0.5 days/week so they can spend the rest of their time doing research. 0.5 days/week isn't going to kill anyone and if you don't like seeing patients, there are avenues in medicine where you don't have to see them at all (path, rads, etc.)

It seems unfair to PhDs and quite frankly, it is, but it is a fact and should be known by anyone considering a research career.

Some things you are saying are true. Yes, you can absolutely go into research after only obtaining your MD. I want to make it clear from the beginning that I am not arguing with that point. MDs can be phenomenal researchers. That being said, there are a few big things I disagree with.

That's what the NIH thought when they originally started funding the MSTP programs. Then after they started looking at the outcomes (i.e. people that actually went into research following medical training), they discovered that the full MD/PhD route was no better than the programs that provide only 1 year of research training apart from medical school (i.e. Howard Hughes, Doris Duke, CRTP, etc.)

Yes, not all MD/PhD students end up splitting their time between research and clinical medicine, but there is a BIG difference between the students going into research from longer programs and the students going into research after one incorporated year or a research fellowship after earning an MD only. If you go through an MD/PhD program, you are required at many schools to apply for grants a certain number of times, crank out a certain number of publications, and present your research publicly at least 1-3 times per year. The students who have done that will have more experience, and I would argue that that experience will be vital for them when it comes to establishing their own labs. You just can't gain experience like that in one year.

Also, PhD programs are valuable because they actually focus on things like statistical analysis and critical reading of scientific articles - things that medical school and research fellowships often largely ignore. I have known many MD-only PIs over the years who absolutely cannot pull the same thing from papers or run the same statistical tests that I could by the end of my masters year. While that may not be true of everyone, it is a huge detriment to the PI and to their lab.

Surprisingly, if you go straight through the standard MD curriculum and do research during residency (without adding any extra time), you will have a number of research faculty positions available to you because there simply aren't enough MD's looking for these spots.

The residencies that allow substantial research, with or without adding extra time, are not as common as you probably think. These spots are hard to come by, and in some fields there are not even enough of them from MD/PhD students to find. If the students with PhDs and many publications aren't guaranteed one of these spots - even if they have amazing stats - what guarantee is there for the MD only students with much less impressive research resumes?

It's also easier to acquire funding as an MD. A while back, I remember seeing some stats that show MD's are ~5-times more successful in the grant-application process.

I've never seen any stats like this. Most of the ones I've seen suggest that grant approval odds are fairly even between MDs, PhDs, and MD/PhDs. While this may look on the surface as if it proves your point, remember that many grants are for clinical research also. MDs are obviously ideally qualified for that type of research, and those are the projects MDs usually try to fund with their grants.

The NIH pays a premium for MDs (they are on a different pay-scale), even if they're doing the same work and not doing any clinical work at all.

I don't know anything about this. Do you mean that these MDs are hired to work in existing labs, as postdocs of sorts or that they found and fund their own labs? Either way, I can't imagine that the NIH would be able to afford anything much more substantial than a standard research salary...certainly nothing comparable to the salary that comes from clinical work.

Outside of the NIH: if you're an MD and you want to do straight research, I've seen people finagle their way into seeing patients in clinic 0.5 days/week so they can spend the rest of their time doing research. 0.5 days/week isn't going to kill anyone and if you don't like seeing patients, there are avenues in medicine where you don't have to see them at all (path, rads, etc.)

A couple of points about this. You cannot keep a personal clinic afloat by working one day a week, and many teaching hospitals are not going to want you if you cannot commit more time than that. Yes, there are ways to work part time in medicine, but why would one day or less even be worth it? As for path and rads - if you want to land a rads residency, with lots of research time and no additional years added on...good luck.

Choosing a research career is a beast...but the problem isn't the PhD degree, it's the set of hoops that are intrinsic to research itself. If you go into research, you will spend countless hours pandering to reviewers and submitting and resubmitting grant applications. You will make much less money than you could have made elsewhere, and sometimes, you just might hate your life. None of that will change if you earn an MD instead of a PhD, and if your only goal is non-clinical research, why on earth would you even want to go through 4 years of medical school + a research year + residency + a probable research fellowship to begin with? Just get a PhD and the extra research training that comes with it.

Last edited:
So it looks lke people really like this tread. There are alot of people out there thinking te same things i am.

If you can't get into med school I doubt your going to get a PhD in a science from any decent place.

All of my friends who I consider really smart are going towards PhD's. I don't think I have the brute intelligence that is required to get a PhD in a science, fortunately with medicine if you can study efficiently you dont need to be outrageously brilliant like science PhD's.

It can be tough working so hard for so long and then have a committee feel like you came up short. Luckily, there are programs like post-bacs at NIH, masters programs, etc. that you can have as a backup in case your dream of med school doesn't happen as soon as you'd like.

i hear that they just sit and cry while eating big macs at mcdonalds when they cant get in the third time, then they finally just give up and go to PA school

i hear that they just sit and cry while eating big macs at mcdonalds when they cant get in the third time, then they finally just give up and go to PA school
big macs are gross

Some things you are saying are true. Yes, you can absolutely go into research after only obtaining your MD. I want to make it clear from the beginning that I am not arguing with that point. MDs can be phenomenal researchers.

Glad we agree on that considering that MOST physician-scientists are "MD-only."

Yes, not all MD/PhD students end up splitting their time between research and clinical medicine, but there is a BIG difference between the students going into research from longer programs and the students going into research after one incorporated year or a research fellowship after earning an MD only. If you go through an MD/PhD program, you are required at many schools to apply for grants a certain number of times, crank out a certain number of publications, and present your research publicly at least 1-3 times per year. The students who have done that will have more experience, and I would argue that that experience will be vital for them when it comes to establishing their own labs. You just can't gain experience like that in one year.

The information that I gave above about the MSTP's having the same outcomes was from an administrative perspective. No one's arguing that the training is equivalent between the two paths, just that you are equally likely to get to the same place with either route. I, for one, would choose the quicker route as I feel I can pick these things up once I gain a faculty position. Just by being proactive in medical school, I have had multiple publications and have given platform presentations at international conferences. If you're motivated, you can do these things without having to add extra years onto your curriculum.

Also, PhD programs are valuable because they actually focus on things like statistical analysis and critical reading of scientific articles - things that medical school and research fellowships often largely ignore. I have known many MD-only PIs over the years who absolutely cannot pull the same thing from papers or run the same statistical tests that I could by the end of my masters year. While that may not be true of everyone, it is a huge detriment to the PI and to their lab.

Collaborations can and will be established with labs who can perform the things you cannot. Sadly, you'll be surprised how much you forget of your medical knowledge a year after you learned it. You'll master a specific discipline and will need to refer to others on the rest. I was once fantastic at statistical analysis, but have forgotten a great deal of it. However, if I have things I need to analyze, I have 'friends' who can help me out. No one can master everything, unfortunately. And with the rapid development of laboratory equipment, half of what we use now won't be used in 10 years so lifelong learning is a necessity anyway.

The residencies that allow substantial research, with or without adding extra time, are not as common as you probably think. These spots are hard to come by, and in some fields there are not even enough of them from MD/PhD students to find. If the students with PhDs and many publications aren't guaranteed one of these spots - even if they have amazing stats - what guarantee is there for the MD only students with much less impressive research resumes?

I can't speak for every specialty, but I'm applying for Radiation Oncology in the coming match. Every program that I've looked at has 6-12mo of dedicated research time. That amounts to 1/8th - 1/4th of my residency training (not including internship) which I think is pretty generous. Between 1/3 and 1/2 of RadOncs take an academic appointment after residency so I don't think a lack of research time is impeding their goal of becoming a physician-scientist.

I've never seen any stats like this. Most of the ones I've seen suggest that grant approval odds are fairly even between MDs, PhDs, and MD/PhDs. While this may look on the surface as if it proves your point, remember that many grants are for clinical research also. MDs are obviously ideally qualified for that type of research, and those are the projects MDs usually try to fund with their grants.

Those stats were for RO1 grants. As a matter of fact, MD/PhD's make up ~2% of the applications and are awarded ~10% of the money. MDs do almost as well and PhD's do the worst. I wrote these stats down during a lecture from a guy that sits on the board of extramural funding for the NIH.

I don't know anything about this. Do you mean that these MDs are hired to work in existing labs, as postdocs of sorts or that they found and fund their own labs? Either way, I can't imagine that the NIH would be able to afford anything much more substantial than a standard research salary...certainly nothing comparable to the salary that comes from clinical work.

Yes, if you are an MD employee of the NIH (i.e. government employee) and not a contractor, you WILL be paid more than your PhD counterparts and are eligible for loan repayment up to $35,000/yr. It doesn't matter whether you work for the lab, run the lab, or fetch coffee for the lab. True, you aren't paid as much as an MD in private practice, but that's the nature of research in general and you make about as much as at other academic institutions.

A couple of points about this. You cannot keep a personal clinic afloat by working one day a week, and many teaching hospitals are not going to want you if you cannot commit more time than that. Yes, there are ways to work part time in medicine, but why would one day or less even be worth it?

What generally happens is that your research is in a given field, let's say IBD. Then you opt to see the IBD patient's one day per week. This isn't your "personal clinic." It belongs to the University and they pay all overhead, etc. You just see the IBD patients once a week and do IBD research the rest of the time. It seems like a funny arrangement I know, but the way these things come about is that the University really needs a clinician and you really want to do research full-time so it becomes a game of push-me-pull-me until an arrangement is reached. Obviously the researcher won in this case :laugh: (BTW, this is a true story).

As for path and rads - if you want to land a rads residency, with lots of research time and no additional years added on...good luck.

It's called the Holman Pathway and it's in desperate need of applicants! (http://theabr.org/ic/ic_other/ic_holman.html). 2 FULL YEARS OF RESEARCH BUILT IN! I also thought it was too good to be true at first. My PI is a graduate of the program. You know what's better? You're eligible for NIH loan repayment while you're in it!

Choosing a research career is a beast...but the problem isn't the PhD degree, it's the set of hoops that are intrinsic to research itself. If you go into research, you will spend countless hours pandering to reviewers and submitting and resubmitting grant applications. You will make much less money than you could have made elsewhere, and sometimes, you just might hate your life.

Agree with what you've said here. But I think it's human nature to hate your life at certain points along the way. I think the intangibles make a career in research worth it. But it's not for everyone.

None of that will change if you earn an MD instead of a PhD, and if your only goal is non-clinical research, why on earth would you even want to go through 4 years of medical school + a research year + residency + a probable research fellowship to begin with? Just get a PhD and the extra research training that comes with it.

You only need to do the 4 years of medical school + residency (arguably) if you know research is what you want to do. Why do it? Because you'll be paid more and have an easier time obtaining funding!

sauce, you make a phd sound useless and running a lab sound as easy as being excited about it. why don't people just run labs right out of undergrad? a phd gives you perspective. despite what you say, working on a project for several years is not a waste - sure, it seems esoteric and you may never do that work again, but what you learn is how to go after the right hard problems....and they take time. the holman pathway does not make up for a phd, nor does a year of research in medical school. there is no shortcut (your theme) for good science.

i also feel an md can make a great scientist, but on average, i truly believe the phd will have an easier time starting and running a basic science lab...and advancing a field.

Members don't see this ad :)
sauce, you make a phd sound useless and running a lab sound as easy as being excited about it. why don't people just run labs right out of undergrad? a phd gives you perspective. despite what you say, working on a project for several years is not a waste - sure, it seems esoteric and you may never do that work again, but what you learn is how to go after the right hard problems....and they take time. the holman pathway does not make up for a phd, nor does a year of research in medical school. there is no shortcut (your theme) for good science.

i also feel an md can make a great scientist, but on average, i truly believe the phd will have an easier time starting and running a basic science lab...and advancing a field.

well put

If you can't get into med school I doubt your going to get a PhD in a science from any decent place.

All of my friends who I consider really smart are going towards PhD's. I don't think I have the brute intelligence that is required to get a PhD in a science, fortunately with medicine if you can study efficiently you dont need to be outrageously brilliant like science PhD's.

Maybe not from a top 10, but I've met people who go get their PhD to further bolster their application for MD/PA/Pharm school...

Maybe not from a top 10, but I've met people who go get their PhD to further bolster their application for MD/PA/Pharm school...

And, IMO, one of the dumbest ways to boost. >5 years plus an advanced degree just to get you into medical school? Nuts.

There are plenty of good reasons to get your PhD, and then decide that you want to get an MD as well, etc. Just not many good reasons to use a PhD as a "booster" to get in somewhere else.

i am also pretty sure average age for md and md/phd obtaining first ro1 is similar, so the idea of getting into research quicker doesn't seem too relevant. If you look at a lot of the straight mds who are doing good basic science research they all probably did basic science postdocs (hence taking extra time anway).

Why do so many choose law school as a back up to med school? As I understand it they are very different careers. Or am I stupid?

I didn't get in my first time, with a 3.97 (BS in chem) and a 28 mcat and good health exp and ECs. I reapplied the next year (this year), also to DO schools, with the same gpa and a 30 mcat, and still didnt get into md schools, so i chose to go to a DO. Not exactly what I wanted but at least its not the Caribbean.

And as far as what one guy posted in which if you can't get into med school you most likely won't be able to do a PhD, I disagree. I feel I would have easily gotten into a PhD program but that's just not where my passion is. The standardized tests for each program test different things and you may rock the subject GRE but not do well on the MCAT. Experience has a lot to do with it too. You may not get into med school bc of lack of health related experience, but that doesn't mean you aren't capable of getting into a PhD program. Just one situation at least.

I didn't get in my first time, with a 3.97 (BS in chem) and a 28 mcat and good health exp and ECs. I reapplied the next year (this year), also to DO schools, with the same gpa and a 30 mcat, and still didnt get into md schools, so i chose to go to a DO. Not exactly what I wanted but at least its not the Caribbean.

And as far as what one guy posted in which if you can't get into med school you most likely won't be able to do a PhD, I disagree. I feel I would have easily gotten into a PhD program but that's just not where my passion is. The standardized tests for each program test different things and you may rock the subject GRE but not do well on the MCAT. Experience has a lot to do with it too. You may not get into med school bc of lack of health related experience, but that doesn't mean you aren't capable of getting into a PhD program. Just one situation at least.

What are you not telling us?

Your scores and GPA should land you interviews at many allopathic schools. Either you didn't apply to enough schools, interview horribly, or tried to stay regional for some reason.

???

Lets see, I tried 3 times and while I got a few interviews I didn't get in. While doing that I actually went back to my old career as a software engineer and kept doing that even after everything flamed out since the money was good and I like computers. Actually after everything I'm completely jaded about the process and didn't bother to retake the MCAT or anything. (Mostly because one of my interviewers thought it was wicked cool to insult me behind my back which I later found out about. When that's your only window into what the people involved with admissions are really like it's pretty hard for me to think anything except that a huge portion of them are complete dirt bags.)

Unfortunately I got laid off recently so now I'm basically taking care of my mom. (Who unfortunately got recently diagnosed with ALS. She isn't too bad right now but I know it's going to get worse.)

What are you not telling us?

Your scores and GPA should land you interviews at many allopathic schools. Either you didn't apply to enough schools, interview horribly, or tried to stay regional for some reason.

???

To be honest, I try to just think I'm unlucky. There isn't anything I'm not telling you. And you asked if I interviewed horribly, well, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have but I never even got any interviews from any allopathic schools to begin with. I applied to 12 MD schools each year, mostly to schools in the midwest (not to ridiculously hard schools either). My pre-med advisor didn't know what to tell me, he was just as surprised as me. If I can get interviews and get accepted to every single DO school I applied to, you'd think I would get at least one MD interview/acceptance. But in the end, the only thing that bothers me about DO is the fact I might have to explain to people what DO means lol.

Why do so many choose law school as a back up to med school? As I understand it they are very different careers. Or am I stupid?
So that you can gain political power and eventually bring down the system that rejected you. MWAHAHAHAHAHA. Well, seriously, though. I think that's probably what I would have done.:lame:

@thesauce: How old are you that you remember Groo the Wanderer? Love it.:D

MDs do get paid more than PhDs doing the same type of research. It's true, at least in the industry.

Respect to all MD researchers out there, but I believe PhDs are in general better scientists. This is an opinion, yes.