Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What happens to the 'unmatched'?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by LR6SO4, Mar 13, 2002.

1. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member

Dirty word hey? I'm just wondering what happens to those people who fail to obtain a match in their desired specialty. Do they complete a transitional or preliminary year and reapply? Do a research year? Choose another specialty? I am looking at ophtho and I know that the chances of matching after your senior year are grim...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pags

pags Senior Member

Same thing with rads. If you don't match your senior year, I'm told, it's much more difficult to land a match the following year. Once you are tainted meat, nobody wants to take a bite. I might go into family medicine if radiology is not in my fate. I know they are very different fields, but I'd be happy doing either one of them.

4. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LR6SO4:
    [QB]Dirty word hey? I'm just wondering what happens to those people who fail to obtain a match in their desired specialty.[QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They all get laparotomies performed on them with only rocuronium flowing through their vessels.

5. Sevo

Sevo Senior Member
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LR6SO4:
    <strong>Dirty word hey? I'm just wondering what happens to those people who fail to obtain a match in their desired specialty. Do they complete a transitional or preliminary year and reapply? Do a research year? Choose another specialty? I am looking at ophtho and I know that the chances of matching after your senior year are grim...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">More often than not, most applicants go into family medicine or internal medicine.

However, this year, it might be easier to walk into categorical general surgery at a community program. I wouldn't advise doing that unless you really were certain that you could tolerate a surgery residency.