1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

What happens to the 'unmatched'?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by LR6SO4, Mar 13, 2002.

1. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dirty word hey? I'm just wondering what happens to those people who fail to obtain a match in their desired specialty. Do they complete a transitional or preliminary year and reapply? Do a research year? Choose another specialty? I am looking at ophtho and I know that the chances of matching after your senior year are grim...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Same thing with rads. If you don't match your senior year, I'm told, it's much more difficult to land a match the following year. Once you are tainted meat, nobody wants to take a bite. I might go into family medicine if radiology is not in my fate. I know they are very different fields, but I'd be happy doing either one of them.

4. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LR6SO4:
    [QB]Dirty word hey? I'm just wondering what happens to those people who fail to obtain a match in their desired specialty.[QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They all get laparotomies performed on them with only rocuronium flowing through their vessels.

5. Sevo

Sevo Senior Member
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LR6SO4:
    <strong>Dirty word hey? I'm just wondering what happens to those people who fail to obtain a match in their desired specialty. Do they complete a transitional or preliminary year and reapply? Do a research year? Choose another specialty? I am looking at ophtho and I know that the chances of matching after your senior year are grim...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">More often than not, most applicants go into family medicine or internal medicine.

However, this year, it might be easier to walk into categorical general surgery at a community program. I wouldn't advise doing that unless you really were certain that you could tolerate a surgery residency.