What happens when ADCOMs cannot reach out the LOR writer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotGoblinsales10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say the LOR writer put their phone number on the letter, but changed their phone numbers and med schools could not contact them. What happens now?

Easy rejection ("I don't have to worry about this one applicant, I have many others who may have an LOR where I can contact the writer")?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing because they don’t contact them.

This is going to sound weird, but one of the Drs. at the hospital I scribe at told me that the local medical school called him to ask additional questions on the applicant.

I can't verify its accuracy, but assuming they attempt to speak to the letter writer, what happens if the writer cannot be reached?

Members don't see this ad :)
If they don’t answer then the adcom will have to use what information they have to make a decision. I imagine your friend’s was an exceptional circumstance or that the letter writer was somehow affiliated or known to the school. I’m not saying it’s never happened, but it’s unusual without a reason to contact them. I imagine any of the adcoms can weigh in on this.

Let's say the LOR writer put their phone number on the letter, but changed their phone numbers and med schools could not contact them. What happens now?

Easy rejection ("I don't have to worry about this one applicant, I have many others who may have an LOR where I can contact the writer")?
@PotGoblinsales10

If someone wants to contact a letter writer, they'll figure it out; letter writers also provide their addresses or other official contact information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your application will be fine and continue to proceed.

I wonder what would be a reason that the school would need to contact the LOR writer? If it's a missing signature or letterhead, they usually would contact the applicant to ask their LOR writer to reupload the letter.

They contacted my letter writer to inquire more about me. My letter writer is an instructor at the school though, so maybe they felt more inclined to contact them since they were part of the same institution after all.

There's this thing, and it's called google.