What happens when an OMFS resident quits after getting an MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted659902

what the title says... do most 6yr programs require you to complete the entire residency or withdraw the MD degree? Assuming this isn't the case, can the said resident with an MD now pursue a medical residency?

Members don't see this ad.

what the title says... do most 6yr programs require you to complete the entire residency or withdraw the MD degree? Assuming this isn't the case, can the said resident with an MD now pursue a medical residency?
Theoretically, yes? But that was the longest, most debt inducing method of clearing the MD I've ever seen.

Might as well finish out, then complete a second residency if you have an itching for something else. Just hope you have the grades and board scores for it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
It would be a lot easier to fix your med school application than it would be to rank top 15% in your dental school, crush the cbse, usmle 1&2, and complete four years of 100 hour work weeks and two for the MD. If you did the MD and dropped I think most programs have you finish it within the second through fourth years of the 6 year which is still a ton of work. Not to mention you will get scrutinized and it will be a hug red flag to your new residency interviewers for you to have dropped/quit your old residency.

If you want to practice medicine do yourself a favor and go to med school. If you don't have the stats for MD school go DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t see how they would rescind your degree

There are going to be OMFS residents who quit, it is bound to happen occasionally. You're in Med school, you find out you like something else more than teeth, and you leave teeth behind. It's like a divorce, you move on. I do not see how it will be a negative for the student when applying to medical residency, as the dental residency app and match process are separate and different. The med PD's will not understand the dental end of things, and will just assume you moved on. With both licenses, you may be able to own some dental practices to make money, or at least be an administrator for corporate with two degrees, while doing you medical residency.
I personally don't see the big deal from a resident point of view. It's a pain in the neck for the OMFS PD, to replace a leaving resident, but it happens, and there is always a warm body out there who can take up the slack. It is certainly the longer road, but as with anything else, life happens and things change. With two degrees, there may be some unique opportunities, two income streams which are really not related.

If a dental student had genuine interest in OMS, applied and got accepted to a 6-year MD program, and in medical school, decides that they are more interested in a medical field, then more power to them.
Only you will know what you like and don't like, and no one can force you to go wake up, go to work and be miserable if you are doing something you absolutely hate.
But knowingly entering this field so you can leave a program without completing is unfair to the program and others who are trying to get into this field.

Reactions: 3 users
When I signed my OMFS Residency contract (about 5 years ago), it said that if I don't finish the entirety of the 6 year residency (MD-combined), that the medical school will not support an application towards another residency.
So, the idea is: you must finish the residency and they won't help you with the medical match if you stop after getting your MD.
I would imagine that it would be impossible to get into a medical residency without the permission and support of your medical school. Residencies will look for a Dean's letter that talks about your tenure as a medical student, and I'm pretty sure that the Match program requires your medical school to identify you as a graduating resident.

It would really suck for our program if a resident drops out after getting their MD. The program needs our senior residents - for coverage in the clinics and on call. I think the arrangement is only fair.

Reactions: 1 users