bogatyr

15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2004
Status
This is a long way in the future, but I always feel it good to plan ahead.

1. When your commitment is up, will the military pay for you to move to your next job? I realize that is kind of a silly question, but what if your last year is in Landstuhl?

2. Also, my wife recently spoke to an ex-military physician spouse who said that in their last year of obligation they didn't receive any of their physician bonus pay/specialty pay, etc. Is that true? Or is she crazy? Thanks.

DrBloodmoney

Pathology
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
At a microscope
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
bogatyr said:

1. When your commitment is up, will the military pay for you to move to your next job? I realize that is kind of a silly question, but what if your last year is in Landstuhl?
Yes they pay for your ETS move

bogatyr said:
2. Also, my wife recently spoke to an ex-military physician spouse who said that in their last year of obligation they didn't receive any of their physician bonus pay/specialty pay, etc. Is that true? Or is she crazy? Thanks.
She is a lunatic

About the Ads

R-Me-Doc

Now an X-R-Me-Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Status
bogatyr said:

1. Some of the "old timers" may correct me on this, but I believe the situation is that the military will pay to relocate you to a distance equivalent to the distance to your "home of record." That's where you are officially a resident of as far as the army is concerned. Think of it as your official "state of residence" (i.e., where you are registered to vote, licenced to drive, own property, pay state income tax, etc). It's usually, although not always, where you were living when you came on active duty, but you can change it over time as you move around.

When you ETS (that's Army language for "finally get the hell out"), the Army will pay for your last move to your new home OR back to your home of record, whichever is cheaper. For example, let's say that when you get out of the Army you're stationed at Ft Bragg NC, your new civilian job is in San Francisco, but your home of record is St Louis. Since the distance to St Louis is shorter, you'd only be covered as far as St Louis and have to eat the difference. So I guess the idea is to maximize the distance to your home of record.

2. She's not crazy, just mildly deluded. You will get MOST of your bonuses, but whether you get all of them depends on when during the year you leave. Every year of your payback time you will have to sign a new service agreement to get your bonuses; one of the major doc bonuses (either ISP or MSP, I forget which one) runs from July to July, so if you expect to get it during your last year, you're obligated to stay on active duty until 30 June. This is OK for most docs because they began their active duty with residency on 1 July. However, the other major bonus is paid based on an October to October period, meaning that if you want to get it, you are obligated to hang around for an extra 3 months or so. So, since I plan to flee ASAP (and also plan to do a civilian fellowship starting in July), I can't obligate myself to stick around until October, so I kiss about $15,000 goodbye.

RMD 1-4-23

mommax3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2004
Visit site
Status
Yeah, for DH to have gotten the specialty bonus during his last year, he would have had to stay in an additional four months past his committment.....NO WAY. As a result, we took a 25K paycut this year. :eek: So although DH will have served in his specialty for a full four years, he was only paid three specialty bonuses.

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
bogatyr said:

The ISP is the bonus that is specialty specific. Mine was $36,000. The instruction for paying this bonus is worded in such a way that you cannot get it until the October after you finish your residency...next fiscal year or 3 months after completing your training.

Well, most people finish their training sometime in July....and obligations usually end in July....so the last year of your service can either be without your ISP or expect 3 extra months.

I opted for a $36,000 pay cut for my last year to get out 3 months earlier. Although it sucked, it was a no brainer for me.

This is the military's way of managing their costs

bobbyseal

Boat boy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
militarymd said:
The ISP is the bonus that is specialty specific. Mine was $36,000. The instruction for paying this bonus is worded in such a way that you cannot get it until the October after you finish your residency...next fiscal year or 3 months after completing your training.

Well, most people finish their training sometime in July....and obligations usually end in July....so the last year of your service can either be without your ISP or expect 3 extra months.

I opted for a $36,000 pay cut for my last year to get out 3 months earlier. Although it sucked, it was a no brainer for me.

This is the military's way of managing their costs
So if you come on active duty as a staff physician in July and then leave 4 years later in July, four Octobers will pass giving you 4 Specialty bonuses. So, what's the problem? You spend 4 years with the navy and get 4 bonuses. I imagine I'm missing something.

Another question, how long does it take to make O4? ie how many years outside of medical school?

R-Me-Doc

Now an X-R-Me-Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Status
bobbyseal said:
So if you come on active duty as a staff physician in July and then leave 4 years later in July, four Octobers will pass giving you 4 Specialty bonuses. So, what's the problem? You spend 4 years with the navy and get 4 bonuses. I imagine I'm missing something.

Another question, how long does it take to make O4? ie how many years outside of medical school?

OK, let's take a hypothetical year-by-year:

Four years of active duty covers 1 July 2000 - 30 June 2004.
Therefore, first bonus covers Oct 2000-Oct 2001
Second bonus covers Oct 2001-Oct 2002
Third bonus covers Oct 2002-Oct 2003
Fourth bonus covers Oct 2003-Oct 2004. OOOOPS! WAIT A MINUTE! Your commitment ended and you left the military on 30 JUNE 2004!!!!! So unless you are willing to stay in until October, YOU DON'T GET THAT 4th BONUS!!!!!!

Remember, there's another bonus that IS paid July-June, so you will get 4 of those, but not the specialty MSP.

As for making O4, unless you are prior service, you will get O4 six years after finishing med school.

RMD 1-4-17

bobbyseal

Boat boy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
R-Me-Doc said:
OK, let's take a hypothetical year-by-year:

Four years of active duty covers 1 July 2000 - 30 June 2004.
Therefore, first bonus covers Oct 2000-Oct 2001
Second bonus covers Oct 2001-Oct 2002
Third bonus covers Oct 2002-Oct 2003
Fourth bonus covers Oct 2003-Oct 2004. OOOOPS! WAIT A MINUTE! Your commitment ended and you left the military on 30 JUNE 2004!!!!! So unless you are willing to stay in until October, YOU DON'T GET THAT 4th BONUS!!!!!!

Remember, there's another bonus that IS paid July-June, so you will get 4 of those, but not the specialty MSP.

As for making O4, unless you are prior service, you will get O4 six years after finishing med school.

MD 1-4-17

Ah, I see. The Bonus for time worked between Octobers. So, based on your above set up. Would your first bonus get paid on Oc 2001?

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
bobbyseal said:
Ah, I see. The Bonus for time worked between Octobers. So, based on your above set up. Would your first bonus get paid on Oc 2001?
In general, your ISP will be paid in October....There are exceptions, like if you come on AD in March, then it is just delayed by 3 months....bottom line, there is a good chance you will not be eligible for your last ISP, MSP unless you want to incur 3 or more months of obligations....

There are exceptions...meaning if your PSD screws up and gives it to your early.....I know that has happened before. Those folks luck out.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
militarymd said:
In general, your ISP will be paid in October....There are exceptions, like if you come on AD in March, then it is just delayed by 3 months....bottom line, there is a good chance you will not be eligible for your last ISP, MSP unless you want to incur 3 or more months of obligations....

There are exceptions...meaning if your PSD screws up and gives it to your early.....I know that has happened before. Those folks luck out.

So, when I come on active duty as a staff in July would I be eligible for that year's ISP? Would I be getting the full amount during that October? Or would I have to work a whole year plus until the following October to get my first ISP?

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
bobbyseal said:
So, when I come on active duty as a staff in July would I be eligible for that year's ISP? Would I be getting the full amount during that October? Or would I have to work a whole year plus until the following October to get my first ISP?
Most likely you will get it in October, committing you until next October. If you're lucky, you will get it in July, committing you until next July....therefore not incurring an extra 3 months of obligation to get your last ISP.

Everyone thinks that the ISP is automatically yours....not so....read the instructions on the ISP....You only get it if your CO thinks you should have it....the CO has the authority to deny it from you if he/she thinks you don't meet standards for whatever reasons.

I know of an orthopedic surgeon and general surgeon who were denied because of body fat.

kingcer0x

Re-Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
R-Me- As for making O4 said:
I thought it was 5... and only if you do a military residency...?

Does that count as in the zone since the 03 to 04 promotion doesn't depend on your OPR?

bobbyseal

Boat boy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
militarymd said:
I know of an orthopedic surgeon and general surgeon who were denied because of body fat.
Thanks for the info. It makes sense now.

That's pretty funny that the tubbies got denied. I guess I am going to have to keep running.

About the Ads