What has been your toughest class so far...or ever!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ironically, the most horrific class I ever took was sociology. Not because the material was difficult per se...it was just such utter bull**** that I think my willpower grew a lot from that class since I constantly felt the urge to call out the teacher on one of the many fallacies she taught us about the "science" behind sociology....oh well, I guess it's easy to prove something when there's no controls in experiments, no reputable sources and it's all subjective anyway.

Runner up would be calculus 1. I absolutely hated my teacher. She gave us the most ridiculously insane problems she could find for exams, was incompetent to the point where she routinely solved problems wrong in class and the class had to correct her, actually was seen getting help from a tutor in the math center to do the solutions for a practice exam, and the infuriating thing about her incompetence was that she was extremely narcissistic. I don't see how you can love yourself when you fail at what you're supposed to teach but she managed it quite well.

Got A's in both of them but I still hate those classes and one of these days I'm going to get around to making an effigy of them and then burning the goddamn things with thermite.

Members don't see this ad.

For me, probably any math more advanced than calculus...or upper div statistics. Seriously, stats just doesn't make sense to me.

Hardest class I've had so far though (which doesn't say much because I just started my 3rd year but...) is ochem. Not the subject matter, but the professor we had was...really...really...horrible.
I basically had to teach myself from reading the book and then go take her crazy tests. Yuckkk.

I know exactly how you feel! :scared:

Runner up would be calculus 1. I absolutely hated my teacher. She gave us the most ridiculously insane problems she could find for exams, was incompetent to the point where she routinely solved problems wrong in class and the class had to correct her, actually was seen getting help from a tutor in the math center to do the solutions for a practice exam, and the infuriating thing about her incompetence was that she was extremely narcissistic. I don't see how you can love yourself when you fail at what you're supposed to teach but she managed it quite well.

Is she a fresh grad or something? It's kinda odd that they'd let her teach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved linear algebra, loved orgo, LOVED fluids, loved thermo 1, TA'd Physics. I think all of those classes deal with more abstract ideas and theories and therefore require a high level of abstract thinking. I can do abstract but not much else :)

So I wanted to graduate on time and I thought I was some sort of math wiz, so I took Advanced Thermodynamics without having taken Advanced Differential Equations, ah the hubris of youth. I ended up getting a B or something which is utter crap because I spent so much time learning the math I totally flubbed the thermo parts. UGH. What a waste of time.

I hated EE2, its supposed to be a relatively easy course but our class average for the final was a 23%.

Oh and engineers out there, for our Dynamics final sophomore year, the teacher gave us a set of dynamics problems from the FE exam without any warning. Three of us were in tears by the end because all of the problems were so beyond the scope of the class. When two girls started crying the prof finally told us that he expected us to only start the problems and do the initial steps and that we weren't supposed to actually finish any of them.

I think there is an element of pure sadism woven into the structure of every single engineering class.

If the above statement does not make sense, I apologize, I should stop coming onto this board after a 12 hour shift.

Botany. I had a 99 average, but I hated the class so much sometimes I literally felt sick to my stomach before going to lab. Most horrible thing ever.

Major: Biology

Genetics was my hardest class because the teacher didnt teach us anything. so i started sleeping in class.:D i still got a B but i had to teach myself all of the material.

seriously?:rolleyes:
Seriously on account of it being an unexpectedly difficult class at a time when I wasn't really used to intense/intense-ish studying. There was no one in the class that received below a 4 due to the actual exam being a cake-walk relative to the teacher's tests.

Either multivariate calculus or physical chemistry. Both were super abstract and hard to grip.

Major: Biochemistry

My botany class was one of the best I had. It was fairly easy, and the lab was a giant chill session where we cut plant stuff open or walked around UNC's arboretum.

For all you engineers and physics people out there, I feel your pain. Every physics class I had was far tougher than the worst organic could throw at me. E&M was definitely the worst college course I had (and the fact that it was at 8 AM 3 days a week certainly didn't help), but astrophysics 2 was pretty rough, too. Lots of applied fluid dynamics and linear algebra and stuff. Yikes.

By the way, who else has ever taken astrophysics? Literally everyone outside of the two courses I took looks at me like I'm completely insane when I mention it.

Serial Murder

You want to talk about utter BS
this was 600 pages of utter BS...exam = memorize all the stats, theories, theorists and definitions in the text > 1000

This is a combination of advanced psychology, sociology and anthropology (to a certain extent)...aaah i just had the exam on tuesday... :p