What has to be complete for Amcas to send your application to schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I planned on having my entire application done by september 1st. My PS is complete, I have filled out the application, I am wating for 1 professor to upload her LOR to Amcas. And I am requesting my transcipts be sent next wednesday. Amcas should recieve my transcripts by 8/15. How long does it take them to process it? Does everthing have to be recieved and processed ( LOR's & transcripts) for AMcas to send my info to schools, so that they can invite me for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. I planned on having my entire application done by september 1st. My PS is complete, I have filled out the application, I am wating for 1 professor to upload her LOR to Amcas. And I am requesting my transcipts be sent next wednesday. Amcas should recieve my transcripts by 8/15. How long does it take them to process it? Does everthing have to be recieved and processed ( LOR's & transcripts) for AMcas to send my info to schools, so that they can invite me for an interview?

LORs are independent of the application verification process.

The verification process is queued once your application is submitted and all of your transcripts have been received. Because your application will be put "in line" expect a delay of up to 6 weeks for verification. (That's why many people on SDN submit early, to avoid the "long lines".)

AMCAS will send out your info to school after you submit your application, but schools vary as to when they will take any action. (pre/post verification). You've got a long way to go before you're in potential interview teritory...

Yes, I do believe your app has to be verified before they will send any information to schools. You can submit to amcas before you have transcripts and letter of rec, but they won't review before the transcripts are in.

Members don't see this ad :)
This stuff is confusing and frustrating! Ok so if they recieve my transcripts and procces them in lets say 3 weeks, will the verification process start after they process my transcripts, or will the verification process be complete when they get finish processing my transcripts? The school im applying to has an 10/15 deadline, and the application has to be verified for them to consider it.

This stuff is confusing and frustrating! Ok so if they recieve my transcripts and procces them in lets say 3 weeks, will the verification process start after they process my transcripts, or will the verification process be complete when they get finish processing my transcripts? The school im applying to has an 10/15 deadline, and the application has to be verified for them to consider it.

So, as you may or may not know, most medical schools in the United States operate on a "rolling admissions" basis, which means they process applications in the order in which they were received (review your completed application dossier and determine whether or not you are eligible for an interview).

AMCAS verification consists of 1) receiving your transcript that was sent to them by your educational institutions, 2) waiting for you to submit your application (filled out all sections, EXCLUDING LOR), 3) reviewing the academic history section and comparing it with your submitted transcripts and making changes as necessary. Step 3 is known as "verification" and takes 4-6 weeks during peak times (now). In regards to LORS, LORs should be completed on AMCAS at some point (either before or after submission) so that medical schools can download LORS from the AMCAS system (since most schools only accept AMCAS LORs)

After your application has been verified, your information will then be sent to medical schools. Each school has a different timeline for when they review your application, but more or less, most schools (if not all) REQUIRE: a primary application, completed secondary application (they send this to you after they receive/review your primary), LORS, and secondary application fees. After review of your completed dossier, they will determine whether or not you will be granted an interview.

To be honest, I feel like it would behoove you to submit your AMCAS application ASAP because submitting any later than this may result in a "late" application--because you'll be towards the middle or latter half of the application cycle, and spots may have already filled up in the class.

Once they receive your transcripts, you must SUBMIT your application so they can begin the "verification" process of comparing your submitted transcripts to your SUBMITTED AMCAS application. To how many schools are you applying?

Why are you waiting so long to request your transcripts? Are you waiting on some grades that will bump up your GPA significantly?

It may not have been worth it to wait this long.

You can submit before AMCAS has received your transcripts or your LORs. However, AMCAS won't put your application in line to have your coursework reviewed until your transcripts arrive. It should only take them a few days to mark your transcripts received once they arrrive, but it will take up to 6 weeks for them to verify your coursework.

Schools will know immediately after submission that you are applying. However, most schools wait until your application is verified before sending you a secondary. A few don't wait though and will send their secondary quickly

In simple terms:

Once you press SUBMIT on your application AND your transcripts have been received, it will take another 4-6 weeks afterwards for verification. ------> become Complete

Med schools don't evaluate your application until you are complete.

If you SUBMIT your application and have your transcripts received by 8/15, it won't be until Late September/Early October until med schools will even look at your application