What have you done so far? Undergraduations please post!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednow123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'd like advice on how well-rounded (or not :p) I am right now, and improvements/comments/HONEST opinions on my activities and grades-

Current Year: Freshman heading into sophomore year in college
GPA: 3.91 (put in the effort 1st year, hopefully I can do it again 3 more times lol, it can only get tougher :p)

Pre-Reqs left to complete: 1 year of inorganic chem w/lab 1 year of organic chem w/lab, 1 year of physics w/lab

EC's/other stuff :

I am currently taking/finishing up an EMT-B class and a Phlebotomy course. I was not able to volunteer until now because of medical reasons, so that really worried me. (EMT license will be used actively next summer for medical reason =/ )

By the end of this summer, I should have around 60-100 hours of volunteering at a Pediatric/Day-Care center close to home. I might get in a few hours working at a shelter, but that will be in the lower range of hours (20-30?)

That is all for freshman year up until the end of this summer. I won't post what I plan to do for sophomore year since that defeats the purpose of this topic, but just know that I will be using the certifications actively (not just for show-and-tell :p)

- So am I on the right track so far? It really disappoints me that I wasted an entire year not being able to volunteer due to personal medical reasons (which hopefully I can explain to the Admissions Committee, right?)

Post what you have done so far and offer advice/ideas to one another :) I think this can turn out to be a reallllly helpful topic. I'll be glad to help out too!

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think ive ever called anyone a gunner on this site but for some reason im really tempted to after reading this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I was hoping for serious posts lol, I don't even know what a gunner is yet but have read a lot of people posting about "trolls" so I'm guessing it's the same? I don't know :p

Can you please post something useful or something like how your schedule looked like :)

Man I was hoping for serious posts lol, I don't even know what a gunner is yet but have read a lot of people posting about "trolls" so I'm guessing it's the same? I don't know :p

Can you please post something useful or something like how your schedule looked like :)
click on my medapps

Oh wow, just what I was looking for :) I was really looking for the upcoming stuff so that I can see how my plans compare, and it just so happened to be right on there!

Okay. You don't need serious posts. Just spend time on MDapplicants.com and just go through tons of the "What Are My Chances" threads. And you can see how things are going for you.

The reason everyone is calling you a gunner is because the only ppl that post on here after freshman year are the ones that get a GPA between 0.1 and 3.2. Not 3.9 with a bunch of ECs.

You are FINE. Just keep doing well in class, try to get involved in research, and get ready for the ultimate equalizer - MCAT. If you get a 22 there, gunning wasted.

Man I didn't do anything for med school my first year except take the classes. It seems like you have some idea of what med schools are looking for, just don't forget to be yourself and find time for stuff you like too.