what helps your dexterity/sim lab skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheClutch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in December and I have a semester of whatever I can do before starting dental school. I'm planning to work a lot but at the same time I want to do something to train my hands and develop some skills.

What do you recommend? Should I get a wax-up kit and play with it? Start carving a soap? I tried to sign up for jewelry making classes but it got canceled. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
See if you have a local dental lab (preferably full service) that will let you learn from the ground up
pouring, trimming and mounting models, ditching dies, processing dentures and partials. Use their
high speed to practice class one preps on plaster molds (flat floor, perpendicular walls, 5mm depth).
Then do the same indirect (through a mirror). Keep in mind that your clinical will still have to be done
the schools way irregardless of what you may experience in the lab.

See if you have a local dental lab (preferably full service) that will let you learn from the ground up
pouring, trimming and mounting models, ditching dies, processing dentures and partials. Use their
high speed to practice class one preps on plaster molds (flat floor, perpendicular walls, 5mm depth).
Then do the same indirect (through a mirror). Keep in mind that your clinical will still have to be done
the schools way irregardless of what you may experience in the lab.

Irregardless isn't a word.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Dr.Ohio
@DavesNotHere, don't be a jackass

ohio is right... i was with a lab bf school and it was money! i knew how to wax teeth, trim casts, set denture teeth, etc bf starting. you'll learn a little bit about dentistry, but you'll save a TON of time in your lab classes doing once what some folks will do for a week multiple times.

on another note, if you cant do the lab thing, try and get on with a local dentist and see if you can work there and assist or what not. just be sure to tell them you're leaving in a few months. some dents dont want to waste their time but some will be glad to let you get as hands on as you're willing to do.