What History Class????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrSexyLatinDr

Single and looking =o)~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need to take a history class as a G.E. requirement, but I dont know which one to take, I am not a real history fanatic. I have two options, either History 17, which is a survey of American society from colonial beggining to 1865. The other one is History 18, which is a study of the people of the United States from reconstruction to present time. I was just wondering which one would you guys pick. Also, I am not even applying to med school yet, but on interviews do they ever ask you any history related questions? If so, which class would be better to take? Well guys, thanks for your assistance.

Eduardo :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was never asked about history, exactly, but I was constantly asked why I chose to take the humanities courses that I took, what I liked about them, what was interesting, etc. One of my interviews revolved almost entirely around Dostoevski, stemming from a Dostoevski course I took.

I'd take history 17. You'll learn about muskets :D

Come on Guys, Any ideas? I need to make a decision please!

Eduardo:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the class that interests you more, that way you may have a greater desire to learn about the material, which may lead to a better grade. Sadly, the grade is always important when applying to medical school.

UrSexy-
This summer I'm taking what in your case would be History 17; I want to get my history requirement out of the way [I am definitely not a history fanatic either], and that is all they are offering. To me though, 18 just seems more interesting... it seems that in my history classes in high school we never made it out of the prehistoric times. Good luck deciding.

I personally would make the decision based on the professor. You don't HAVE to take either class, so go with the best instructor. The success of a history class hinges on engaging delivery, ability to draw you into the subject matter and make it come alive, and a good professor can make anything interesting. If you don't know anything about the professors, ask your friendly history/art history/american studies majors for recommendations. They will know who got them psyched up about the cotton gin, and who couldn't even get through the Gettysburg Address without yawning.

Personally, I think the History 18 course would be much more interesting. Pre-civil war history can be very dry. Plus, a knowledge of 20th century history will be much more relevant to your life.

That said, a good professor can make any class worthwhile. I once took a course on medicine in medieval europe, which would have been totally lame, but the prof. was awesome, so the class was great! My advice is to talk to people who've taken both or either course to get their impresssions.

Medicine in medieval Europe lame? I would have loved it. Of course, I am a medieval/renaissance studies minor as well as being premed, so as it is, everyone is always asking me if I'm going to use leeches.

In regard to the class, its impossible to say without knowing the professors and how the courses are run. If you want to take the easier class, as around at your school as to which that is. If you want the better class, ask that too. With the right professor, you may discover an interest you never knew you had.

I got my lowest grade in History to 1865 =P Of all the courses to get my lowest grade in, its a introduction level GE history course, bah!!!! Before you take either, I'd try to get as much info on the professor that will teach either course as possible. You could know everything there is to know in that history class, but if the professor/TA doesnt like your essay style, you'll be screwed out of an A =P (My TA section has nearly 140 students, he gave out 2 A's =P ). Trust me when I say that you want to save those B's/C's for other classes BESIDES a GE history course, itll make your life easier.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by UrSexyLatinDr:
•Ok, I need to take a history class as a G.E. requirement, but I dont know which one to take, I am not a real history fanatic. I have two options, either History 17, which is a survey of American society from colonial beggining to 1865. The other one is History 18, which is a study of the people of the United States from reconstruction to present time. I was just wondering which one would you guys pick. Also, I am not even applying to med school yet, but on interviews do they ever ask you any history related questions? If so, which class would be better to take? Well guys, thanks for your assistance.

Eduardo :) •••••Are you a freshman :confused: What's wrong with you...you always take a class with a professor with whom you can get an easy A :D Your overall gpa will matter helluva lot more for med school admission than a particular [history] class.

Muchas Gracias for your responses. Anyone else? :D

Eduardo

Well, as far as the material goes, I'd opt for the more modern course, because of the relevancy factor that banannie mentioned. But it is important to figure out who's teaching each class -- even the most interesting material can be made horrible by a bad teacher, and vice versa. And, as has been mentioned, you don't want to get into a class where the TA or prof delights in flunking people and never gives any A's. Interviewers usually do not ask history questions (although I do remember hearing about an interviewer at Duke who liked to stymie people with geography questions), although current events come up a lot.

Yes, go with the better professor. But material-wise, I would pick History 17. I am an immigrant and have always been fascinated by the democratic foundations of this country. Look around the world and you'll be amazed at how incredibly lucky we all are to live in the longest continuous democracy in human history. How was this country built? Why a democracy instead of a monarchy? How do we build a system that respects that will of the majority but also protects the benefits of the minority? Can we replicate this system in another country?... History 17 will cover these fundamental questions, I hope. Moreover, you will learn about the Civil War, which I think was one of the two most important political events of the 19th century--the other being the Meiji Restoration.

Thanks a lot guys! You guys are awesome!! :clap:

History 18!!!! The Colonial stuff just isn't as interesting as it sounds! :)