What hobbies do you want to explore once you're making big Doctor money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I asked my fiancé about it and he told me to stop being a sex crazed teenager

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

must mean you have ugly friends

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You know they call those small airplanes doctor killers

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile

I believe that's because many doctors go on to pick up flying as a hobby later in their career. One doctor hypothesized that they die because they think they know everything. This is not the case with me. I have been flying since I was 11 and been licensed since age 18 (now 26).

Also, there is one particular small plane commonly known as the "doctor killer" which is the V-tail Bonanza.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You know they call those small airplanes doctor killers

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile
Actually they call them doctor's coffins.
Is it really that "common" of an occurence? Was thinking of finishing up my license as well.
Yes, it is very common. I guarantee you'll know at least a few people in your career that die "doing what they loved."

I believe that's because many doctors go on to pick up flying as a hobby later in their career. One doctor hypothesized that they die because they think they know everything. This is not the case with me. I have been flying since I was 11 and been licensed since age 18 (now 26).

Also, there is one particular small plane commonly known as the "doctor killer" which is the V-tail Bonanza.

Lol my dad used to fly that exact plane in his spare time. My mom made him stop flying it after they saw a similar plane plummet from the sky in a ball of fire on the news.

I feel like glider flying would be pretty cool. Relatively safe from what I hear...less things to break...

If you guys are medical students now, you never will be making big doctor money due to Obamacare and the impact on the insurance companies, unless you go into cash practices such as plastics, derm, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
If you guys are medical students now, you never will be making big doctor money due to Obamacare and the impact on the insurance companies, unless you go into cash practices such as plastics, derm, etc.

Could you elaborate on why exactly you think that is the case?

With all due respect I find it hard to believe every physician who accepts insurance will not make a good income thanks to obamacare. Maybe not 500k or something, but a reasonable salary.

I'd like to see my single malt scotch whisky collection grow. So expensive.

Cooking foods/meat other than $2 chicken breast from walmart with fresh ingredients...seafood/red meat just isn't in the budget...and being able to afford tubs and tubs of protein powder for the GAINZ

Traveling more than once every 5 years would be nice too.

Thought about rebuilding muscles cars

Saw a 70' chevelle crusin' down the street today...beautiful.

Reactions: 2 users
Is being old a hobby? Because I'm a realist and realize I'll be 45 before I'm living the "doctor life."

But I'll be so busy I probably won't even have time for real hobbies. My career will be my hobby. Chances are it will be the same for you.

Reactions: 4 users
Is being old a hobby? Because I'm a realist and realize I'll be 45 before I'm living the "doctor life."

But I'll be so busy I probably won't even have time for real hobbies. My career will be my hobby. Chances are it will be the same for you.
45 is old...least it better not be cause I'll be in my 40s when I get to residency

45 is old...least it better not be cause I'll be in my 40s when I get to residency
Being as 45 is the age at which my mother, aunt, and grandfather all passed away, I'd say 45 absolutely is old.

Cooking foods/meat other than $2 chicken breast from walmart with fresh ingredients...seafood/red meat just isn't in the budget...and being able to afford tubs and tubs of protein powder for the GAINZ

Traveling more than once every 5 years would be nice too.

Saw a 70' chevelle crusin' down the street today...beautiful.

Dude farm raised tilapia. Like $2-3 per fillet and delicious if cooked right!

Thought about rebuilding muscles cars

Always dreamed of that. My step dad and I tried to rebuild this 79' Corvette when was in highschool, but it turned way to expensive and we sold it.

Vowed that when I'm making the big doctor money in my cash only combined derm/plastics practice on Miami Beach I'd go find the car and buy it back.

upload_2016-4-19_16-32-13.png

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree. The VAST majority (>90%, read that somewhere) of general aviation fatalities are due to pilot error like skipping something on the checklist, CFIT, flying into marginal conditions without the proper training, or forgetting to check the fuel level before flight. Flying will be safe if pilots remain patient and diligent with their training and flight prep. Physicians who get the minimum required training and then purchase a Bonanza or SR22 and think they can handle it in a pinch are often the ones who get complacent and encounter problems.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree. The VAST majority (>90%, read that somewhere) of general aviation fatalities are due to pilot error like skipping something on the checklist, CFIT, flying into marginal conditions without the proper training, or forgetting to check the fuel level before flight. Flying will be safe if pilots remain patient and diligent with their training and flight prep. Physicians who get the minimum required training and then purchase a Bonanza or SR22 and think they can handle it in a pinch are often the ones who get complacent and encounter problems.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just like you don't buy a supersport 1000cc bike for your first motorcycle.

I would like to build a library with a electrical fireplace inside. The only thing that would be in there would be books, book shelves, a large rug, a leather reclining chair, and the fireplace. I would also like to get into creating art and nature photography.

All I see here are a bunch of people who will have a very difficult time getting disability insurance once you've finished residency. If you want to fly a plane or race cars, don't expect anyone to ever insure you. I went on one hot air balloon ride with my wife on our honeymoon and the disability insurance I purchased actually has an addendum for it on my contract.

Big two story library with wall-to-wall bookshelves for me!

Also, prostitutes without stds. Gotta upgrade once you have doctor money.

Thought of another one. Learning to fly fish would be pretty cool, especially since I plan to live up in Appalachia, which is teeming with brook and rainbow trout.

All I see here are a bunch of people who will have a very difficult time getting disability insurance once you've finished residency. If you want to fly a plane or race cars, don't expect anyone to ever insure you. I went on one hot air balloon ride with my wife on our honeymoon and the disability insurance I purchased actually has an addendum for it on my contract.

Let me just start living my life based on how easily I can get insurance....

You must be a ton of fun at parties

Reactions: 5 users
Could you elaborate on why exactly you think that is the case?

With all due respect I find it hard to believe every physician who accepts insurance will not make a good income thanks to obamacare. Maybe not 500k or something, but a reasonable salary.

SDN loves doom and gloom talk. Physicians will be fine.

You must be a ton of fun at parties

You don't have to like what I'm saying. Sometimes the truth hurts, ya know? The big bad doctor man just showed up and ruined your fantasy. Talk to me when you have a family to support. A plane crash won't likely take you out, but that lower back pain when you're 45 might, and you'll be wishing you had some disability insurance then.

You don't have to like what I'm saying. Sometimes the truth hurts, ya know? The big bad doctor man just showed up and ruined your fantasy. Talk to me when you have a family to support. A plane crash won't likely take you out, but that lower back pain when you're 45 might, and you'll be wishing you had some disability insurance then.

Totally get what you're saying and insurance is for sure important but to hold back in life for your policy. If you love flying planes, fly a damn plane because time goes quick. But congrats on nervously walking a straight and narrow to your grave. Hope I have the courage to follow in your footsteps.

Somewhat as an aside, I highly doubt you're big or bad based on your risk aversion. More like nerdy and beta.

join the fight against terrorism + cruelty. i think i wanna be like a really mean batman.

first, kidnapping terrorists in the middle east and europe from Hamas and ISIS. slowly dissect their bodies for pleasure while they're still alive. then kidnap all the organizers of Yulin. if they like to beat animals then we can all as pre-meds and med students beat these cowards with bats, acid and wires. then we'll save the animals and bring them to loving homes. finally we will all identify the corrupt professionals in medicine and cheating pre-meds but not be so brutal. we will just strip them all naked and tie them to a post for 24-48 hours depending on their corruption.

Totally get what you're saying and insurance is for sure important but to hold back in life for your policy. If you love flying planes, fly a damn plane because time goes quick. But congrats on nervously walking a straight and narrow to your grave. Hope I have the courage to follow in your footsteps.

Somewhat as an aside, I highly doubt you're big or bad based on your risk aversion. More like nerdy and beta.

Sorry I ruined your fantasy. You probably think a lot of things are nerdy and beta, when I was 19 I did too. Enjoy your false bravado, I was once like that too broseph.

Sorry I ruined your fantasy. You probably think a lot of things are nerdy and beta, when I was 19 I did too. Enjoy your false bravado, I was once like that too broseph.

I believe you ruined someone else's fantasy but hey reading is overrated.

None of my hobbies require doctor money.. okay cycling might
It'd be nice if I could afford a brand new road bike, and a mountain bike lol.. I have a used hybrid though, and it's fantastic so no complains.

My hobbies:
Hiking
Cycling(one of two where making six figures could help me do more, and get more gear)
Fishing
Coin collection, Silver collection

I want to get into guns too.. Right now I barely have enough for a shotgun.. I'm trying to save all my money for eventual app cycle... and MCAT prep which starts next summer! jesus christ..
wow.. I don't think I can afford to spend 400 on a gun this fall... hmmm

Being as 45 is the age at which my mother, aunt, and grandfather all passed away, I'd say 45 absolutely is old.
Genetics are a *****. Most people in my family live to their 80s, regardless of how much they smoke, drink, or eat, so I'm hoping I'm as lucky cause I'm not going to be done with a fellowship until I'm 39.

join the fight against terrorism + cruelty. i think i wanna be like a really mean batman.

first, kidnapping terrorists in the middle east and europe from Hamas and ISIS. slowly dissect their bodies for pleasure while they're still alive. then kidnap all the organizers of Yulin. if they like to beat animals then we can all as pre-meds and med students beat these cowards with bats, acid and wires. then we'll save the animals and bring them to loving homes. finally we will all identify the corrupt professionals in medicine and cheating pre-meds but not be so brutal. we will just strip them all naked and tie them to a post for 24-48 hours depending on their corruption.
Ugh, Ben Affleck Batman? No thanks.

Tax takes almost half your income, paying off debt and the house, supporting your family... you're really not left with as much as you think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

My parents makes under 100,000/year combined. Tell me more about how ****ing poor you are.

I'm already a musician, but when I'm an attending my equipment and at-home recording space will be seriously upgraded.

My parents makes under 100,000/year combined. Tell me more about how ****ing poor you are.

And in the grand scheme of things you're still very lucky. Which makes that original poster's comment that much more ludicrous.

I never saw him write poor. He said it's just not as much as y'all think it is.

And my parents (high school grads) have a combined salary under $100K (and 5 kids and in NY), but my dad's $80K salary becomes $100K in pay with all his benefits included. Like they match everything he puts into his retirement account 1:1, so his retirement fund grows by $30K/yr (plus the interest it accrues) and he is retiring between 55-57 with likely more more than I will be able to retire with and at a younger age. So salary isn't the whole story. I did the math just out of curiosity and if my NP sister retires at 55, I will have to make at least $300K to be able to match her earnings by 55 (plus she will have benefits that a doctor may not get and many employers I've seen charge more for health insurance the more you make, etc).

What the guy was saying is that, yes, doctors do well for themselves, but all things considered, they aren't coming as far ahead of others as some pre-meds think they are. And people farther along in their career are justing trying to keep us grounded, so we don't end up disappointed on the other end.

I never saw him write poor. He said it's just not as much as y'all think it is.

And my parents (high school grads) have a combined salary under $100K (and 5 kids and in NY), but my dad's $80K salary becomes $100K in pay with all his benefits included. Like they match everything he puts into his retirement account 1:1, so his retirement fund grows by $30K/yr (plus the interest it accrues) and he is retiring between 55-57 with likely more more than I will be able to retire with and at a younger age. So salary isn't the whole story. I did the math just out of curiosity and if my NP sister retires at 55, I will have to make at least $300K to be able to match her earnings by 55 (plus she will have benefits that a doctor may not get and many employers I've seen charge more for health insurance the more you make, etc).

What the guy was saying is that, yes, doctors do well for themselves, but all things considered, they aren't coming as far ahead of others as some pre-meds think they are. And people farther along in their career are justing trying to keep us grounded, so we don't end up disappointed on the other end.

Anyone making half a million dollars has no right to complain about finances. They are making >10 times the median.

Anyone making half a million dollars has no right to complain about finances. They are making >10 times the median.
Ah, I only read the part that you quoted, which I thought was just making a good point on how doctors don't actually make as much compared to many other professions as some people believe they do and that we shouldn't expect to be able to buy big toys. But if his dad is over $500K then he belongs to a class of doctors that do make big bank (and his original post sounds more like arrogance than complaining to me)

Ah, I only read the part that you quoted, which I thought was just making a good point on how doctors don't actually make as much compared to many other professions as some people believe they do and that we shouldn't expect to be able to buy big toys. But if his dad is over $500K then he belongs to a class of doctors that do make big bank (and his original post sounds more like arrogance than complaining to me)

Hell, 500k is likely approaching the upper percentiles even among doctors.

Investments in triple bottom line companies that will change the world

Gonna build my own recording studio and sign hot new artists when I'm not working and release fire mixtapes and albums and live off of the money my parents got stashed for your boy after I'm done with residency.

#Started

Eating. Currently dying under the weight of my current loans so eating things that are not beans/whatever is on sale and having agency to get nice ingredients is going to be so odd.

Also fun gym classes and maybe a yoga membership. I had an intro one and it was magical, but $100/month for a yoga membership is insanity at this point in my life.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, and not sure if this is really a hobby, but it'd be good for new doctors to learn about how to manage their money. Start by reading a book like White Coast Investor.

I'd like to play video games on my expensive gaming computers. Watch some shows like Gray's Anatomy, General Hospital and House... not to mention having a personal library and a large, beautiful house too with possibly a BMW.