PhD/PsyD what i dont understand in Kahneman's book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devastatingroy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Kahneman's "thinking ,fast and slow", and here's one thing that has been bothering me
for two days , and I just don't understand it. Hope that someone can help me.
__quote________________
The evidence that we have about good feelings, cognitive ease, and the intuition of coherence is, as scientists
say, correlational but not necessarily causal. Cognitive ease and smiling occur together, but do the good feelings actually lead to intuitions of coherence? Yes, they do. The proof comes from a clever experimental approach that has become increasingly popular. some participants were given a cover story that provided an alternative interpretation for their good feelings: they were told about music played in their earphones that "previous research showed that this music influences the emotional reactions of individuals." This story completely eliminates the intuition of coherence. The finding shows that the brief emotional response that follows the presentation of a triad of words(pleasant if the triad is coherent, unpleasant otherwise) is actually the basis of judgement of coherence. there is nothing here that system 1 cannot do. emotional changes are now expected, and because they are unsurprising they are not linked causally to the words.
how does the experiment prove to us that good feelings induces intuitions of coherence, not the other way around. and how does the "music of the earphone..."statements have to do with that conclusion.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently reading Kahneman's "thinking ,fast and slow", and here's one thing that has been bothering me
for two days , and I just don't understand it. Hope that someone can help me.
__quote________________
The evidence that we have about good feelings, cognitive ease, and the intuition of coherence is, as scientists
say, correlational but not necessarily causal. Cognitive ease and smiling occur together, but do the good feelings actually lead to intuitions of coherence? Yes, they do. The proof comes from a clever experimental approach that has become increasingly popular. some participants were given a cover story that provided an alternative interpretation for their good feelings: they were told about music played in their earphones that "previous research showed that this music influences the emotional reactions of individuals." This story completely eliminates the intuition of coherence. The finding shows that the brief emotional response that follows the presentation of a triad of words(pleasant if the triad is coherent, unpleasant otherwise) is actually the basis of judgement of coherence. there is nothing here that system 1 cannot do. emotional changes are now expected, and because they are unsurprising they are not linked causally to the words.
how does the experiment prove to us that good feelings induces intuitions of coherence, not the other way around. and how does the "music of the earphone..."statements have to do with that conclusion.
Reading that quote is the opposite of cognitive ease and gives rise to an unpleasant feeling. :p
On a more helpful note, if I wanted more clarification of this I would go to the authors original article for further explanation and clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
Homework question....?
read about Kahneman's name in the book "superforecasters" and then bought "thinking ,fast and slow". while reading, I'm really interested in how the psychologist design their experiment to prove a point, especially how they distingguish between "related" and "causal"......

Reading that quote is the opposite of cognitive ease and gives rise to an unpleasant feeling. :p
On a more helpful note, if I wanted more clarification of this I would go to the authors original article for further explanation and clarification.
think you for your advise. Kahneman didn't elaborate on this one , just a bunch of "German psychologist" did this experiment , no citations or footnotes.:(.
but yeah, I shall do more searches and try to find the original articles .

read about Kahneman's name in the book "superforecasters" and then bought "thinking ,fast and slow". while reading, I'm really interested in how the psychologist design their experiment to prove a point, especially how they distingguish between "related" and "causal"......

We don't design experiments to prove anything. We find supporting or opposing evidence for a hypothesis.

Reactions: 1 user
We don't design experiments to prove anything. We find supporting or opposing evidence for a hypothesis.[/QUOT
thank you for reminding. and particularly how does the experiment supports the hypothesis here, is what really matters .:)