What I Wasn’t Meant To Do in Medical School

I'm not entirely sure what this article was about or what the title had to do with the text, but I'd work to find a way to stop worrying about your parents' and friends' reaction to your specialty/fellowship/employment decisions. It's your career, not theirs.

For some personalities, serious decisions requires serious consideration and testing your own wants. I relate with the author to an extent in that when I'm faced with very important life decisions, I both recognize the natural trajectory I am on as well as the the value of thoroughly testing the hypothesis. If I was in the author's shoes with a life long goal of EM and an emergent desire for peds that overrides all others specialties, I will also not doubt but honestly question and dig dig. This, at minimum, involves consulting friends and families I trust, especially those with different opinions. So I can appreciate the authors discernment and also recognize that he/she took seriously her past, her priest, and her loved ones.

By the end of the article, she answered it her carefully made choice clearly "Medical school...challenges you in more ways than one" and "don't let the transformation you see in yourself scare you". I hope she will find great training in pediatrics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the previous poster, I was actually thinking about something else when reading the title.

I've never met anyone in my school that regularly puts in 14 hour days studying on Saturdays as the author claims. I would burn out in the 1st semester. Or maybe she only studies on Saturdays? Maybe she went to a way more hardcore school.

I've never met anyone in my school that regularly puts in 14 hour days studying on Saturdays as the author claims. I would burn out in the 1st semester. Or maybe she only studies on Saturdays? Maybe she went to a way more hardcore school.

She went to Ross.

Oh! Ha, I though that was some weird inside joke. I didn't know there was a Ross U medical school. I hope all their students aren't this neurotic.

Oh! Ha, I though that was some weird inside joke. I didn't know there was a Ross U medical school. I hope all their students aren't this neurotic.

I think they have a much harder time matching into residencies than US graduates, but I seriously doubt they're consistently pulling 14 hours of productive studying on Saturdays.