What i wish I had learned before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdLongshanks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am facing my first test on Friday. A teacher told us today that "It's a marathon, not a sprint." I replied to some of my classmates later - "No, it's a Bataan death march"

I greatly fear this test. I am so far behind that I am afraid I won't even fail good enough to recover.

There are some courses that I wish that I had taken before medical school

Firstly, Anatomy, anatomy, anatomy. It's hard to memorize the innervations of the muscles of the back and throat when you are struggling to keep a clavicle and scapula straight. Simply knowing the surface muscles and a few of the major bones, nerves, veins, and arteries would help. You will probably laugh when you read this, but I just discovered yesterday that the jugular was a vein - I thought it was an artery.

I'm ok in all of the other classes. Histo is hard, but it is an expansion of all of the biology classes in undergrad - Cell bio, immunology, zoology, etc. It would be foolish, though, to go to medical school having taken none of these classes.

In my school Biochem is extremely easy. I have heard that other schools are different, but I can do acid/base stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

I am facing my first test on Friday. A teacher told us today that "It's a marathon, not a sprint." I replied to some of my classmates later - "No, it's a Bataan death march"

I greatly fear this test. I am so far behind that I am afraid I won't even fail good enough to recover.

There are some courses that I wish that I had taken before medical school

Firstly, Anatomy, anatomy, anatomy. It's hard to memorize the innervations of the muscles of the back and throat when you are struggling to keep a clavicle and scapula straight. Simply knowing the surface muscles and a few of the major bones, nerves, veins, and arteries would help. You will probably laugh when you read this, but I just discovered yesterday that the jugular was a vein - I thought it was an artery.

I'm ok in all of the other classes. Histo is hard, but it is an expansion of all of the biology classes in undergrad - Cell bio, immunology, zoology, etc. It would be foolish, though, to go to medical school having taken none of these classes.

In my school Biochem is extremely easy. I have heard that other schools are different, but I can do acid/base stuff.

I completely agree. If I could go back and do anything differently it would be to take anatomy in undergrad.

Is your school pass/fail or do you have grades/rank? I felt the same way before my first exam (and even after it) but something you should remember is you aren't alone in that feeling. If your grades rely at all on how well the rest of the class did theres a chance you will do better than you expect.

Thanks Ed for your perspective. I wonder a lot what courses I should take beyond just the pre-reqs... I'll be finishing my Bachelors in the spring; no hard sciences whatever. The only biology I had was Anatomy/Physiology with lab. Of course, I'll be coming with a background in radiology as a radiology tech and sonographer. I've got a good base in the bones, vascular, and organs, I'm pretty weak in the muscles and nerves. I've been considering what biology courses to add to the pre-reqs for the best benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree. If I could go back and do anything differently it would be to take anatomy in undergrad.

Is your school pass/fail or do you have grades/rank? I felt the same way before my first exam (and even after it) but something you should remember is you aren't alone in that feeling. If your grades rely at all on how well the rest of the class did theres a chance you will do better than you expect.
I took anatomy in undergraduate (detailed). It didn't help...at least for me. There is just too much to know in such a short time in medical school. Most people have a few scares in the first two years....poor test scores, falling behind, doubts, but they generally make it if they want to.

Thanks Ed for your perspective. I wonder a lot what courses I should take beyond just the pre-reqs... I'll be finishing my Bachelors in the spring; no hard sciences whatever. The only biology I had was Anatomy/Physiology with lab. Of course, I'll be coming with a background in radiology as a radiology tech and sonographer. I've got a good base in the bones, vascular, and organs, I'm pretty weak in the muscles and nerves. I've been considering what biology courses to add to the pre-reqs for the best benefit.

Here's my take. In rank order of importance. And in rebuttal to the notion that taking courses in medically related courses doesn't help. B/c it can be hard to judge how much something is there in the framework of your cognition. Compared to someone else who doesn't. Especially when it is hard the 2nd or third time anyway. And because the medical school equivalent makes some of the u-grad stuff look anemic.

1. Anatomy--took it twice over 6 years before medical school. the skeletal framework of knowledge was there. Even if I didn't know anything cold or rote. Extremely useful given the speed and volume of it in medical school.

2. Biochem--much easier with repetition. I still don't know the enzymes of pathways. But I've met them at cocktail parties enough times to remember....the guy with glasses and the honking laugh...yeah ok...what about him.

3. Physiology: Stuff like lung and renal phys is a lot easier upon repeating it. As is the ion channel steps in conducting tissues.

4. Immunology. Never took it. Wish I had. It's always popping up in relation to microbio, biochem, physiology, cancer biology, pharmacology. It's a sneaky complex topic. There was a full year 2 semester course that I could have taken in undergrad. would've been a clutch move. Because just because some scientist mentioned on slide 87/163 on that one first year course that the type 1 sensitivity reaction is such and such....doesn't mean i remember anything about it. And they mention it as if you know it already in 2nd year. Don't sleep on immunology.

5. Microbio. There was some microbiology labs this year wanting to teach me about the gram stain and some other lab techniques. Slipper trot to the bagel store and coffee oclock later I'm still in my pj's laughing at the the thought of going to that session. And a 5 credit course in micro with lab means I could do it while laughing.

Take them all the 1-2 years before coming to med school and you'll be ready to perform much better than you would otherwise. If that's passing. Then it's passing while taking a day off to make love and throw the frisbee.

Reactions: 1 user
No matter how much you've prepared, you still need the skill to move through information rapidly. While I agree it would help out for a month or two, extra classes will have no impact on an 8-10 year medical education.

skill > knowledge.

Thanks Nasrudin, I'll keep that in mind as I theorize my future schedules. I did a few marathon marches during infantry training in the marines, I'd like to hope I can keep my first two years of med school more like that and less like a Bataan death march. :thumbup:

I'm rooting for you Ed!

Took a human anatomy course in college. 6 units, taught by a professor who teaches at the med school, with cadavers. 5 hours of class and 6 hours of lab per week.

Just took my first med school anatomy test today. It did not help.

The thing that I'm learning about med school is that I will never feel truly ready for an exam. I walked into the exam knowing probably half of what I "should" know, and I was fine. There's just too much information. You have to decide what to learn and what to not learn and hope for the best.

Hang in there Ed, we're pulling for you. :)

Thanks Nasrudin, I'll keep that in mind as I theorize my future schedules. I did a few marathon marches during infantry training in the marines, I'd like to hope I can keep my first two years of med school more like that and less like a Bataan death march. :thumbup:

I'm rooting for you Ed!

Cool. You represent the situation I was talking about. I would have thought the assumption of....I have to take some classes--which ones will help me...was more obvious.

It's not that I don't understand what these other med students are saying. But again. It's reductive absurdity to assert that the skill of gaining knowledge does not blend into the knowledge base itself. False semantic dichotomies are easy to make.

And stroking the battle worn ego for the plebes is all too easy.

I am trying to be helpful. Many people struggle mightily to pass their medical school classes. Spreading out the material over 4 years instead of two with multiple angles on it in repetitive layering.

Can f'n help.

Or kiss your own bicep in the mirror. And tell everyone wassup. On the premed boards.

To reiterate. In case the tone of my post gets mistook for something else.

We have a mountain of information to ingest whole before us. Those of that think repetition is not important over there. Those that can use common sense to posit that it might over here with me.

Now. To use a military motif to assure you I don't intend to cause you wasted effort or mislead you.

At the other end of this bootcamp. We will all be the same. More or less in the same boat.

What i am saying is for whom would this be a better experience. The triathlete from a disciplined background. That knows how to shoot and maintain a weapon. Or the momma's boy who has been playing video games for 2 solid years past high school.

And once again. Since when is repetition not an essential component of memorizing a mountain of anything.

If you think it doesn't help, then you your awareness of your own meta-cognition and an ability to empathize with your struggling classmates for the purpose of steering the next batch of recruits onto safe ground is outweighed by your own photo ops at the top of the mountain.

Reactions: 1 user
No matter how much you've prepared, you still need the skill to move through information rapidly. While I agree it would help out for a month or two, extra classes will have no impact on an 8-10 year medical education.

skill > knowledge.
I agree. There is no medical class that I wish I had taken prior to medical school, perhaps with the exception of medical terminology. There is likewise no clinical rotation that I wish I had taken prior to internship, perhaps with the exception of doing an easy elective at this hospital so that I'd have already known the system, including the EMR.

For those of you who are premeds and wondering how one person can say that taking all of the med school classes twice helps immensely while the next says it basically doesn't help at all, it's because we have different conceptions of what it means to make medical school "easier." I would define making medical school easier as "what would allow you to do well in medical school with the least amount of angst and wasted time." Classes like anatomy and histo are sheer memorization. Memorizing tons of useless minutiae once is painful enough. Having to do it twice would be twice as bad, and it's not going to give you a high enough return in terms of what you get back for the amount of time and effort that you put into it.

Keep in mind too that you would likely be taking these classes with a bunch of other premeds, all of whom are gunning for those As the same as you are. As long as you pass, no one cares what grade you get in your med school anatomy class (if your school even gives you a grade at all). But every med school is going to care what you got in your UG anatomy class when a suboptimal grade drags your AMCAS GPA down a point or two. Every time you take one of these "med school lite" classes, you are exposing yourself to an increased risk of tanking your UG GPA.

So, what should people who want a "leg up" do? I suggest not taking any medical school subjects. Spend time with your family. Go on cool trips. Volunteer. Visit museums and parks. Take off a whole week to do absolutely nothing except watch old movies and Law & Order reruns in your PJs. If you must take a class or two, then take ethics or psychology or a foreign language, all of which would be immensely more helpful for medical practice than anatomy or histo would be.

But, if you're not going to follow that advice, and you want to know, ok, really, what college classes would most help me the first two years of medical school, then focus on taking classes that are principle-based rather than memorization-based. In the long run, you will get a lot more bang for your buck. Because unless you have a photographic memory, which the vast majority of us do not, you will remember basic physiology principles long after your brain has dumped all of the memorized anatomy minutiae.

Here, then, is my short list in terms of classes that give you the most gain for least pain:
  • Medical terminology: it would have been nice being able to read my handouts and textbooks without having to waste time looking up every other word. Relatively easy class and not a med school subject, so can conveniently be taken online and/or audited. Not that you'll remember every word you see, but you can have some basic familiarity with medical terms for a relatively small investment of time and effort.
  • Physiology: almost entirely principle-based, very high yield for medical school, very high yield for Step 1 of the boards. You will remember a lot of what you learn, and it will give you some foundation even though it will likely be wholly insufficient for med school purposes unless you take a med school physio class
  • Pathology: also very principle-based, extremely high yield for medical school and Step 1. You should take it after physio, and preferably with a lab.

Classes that could be helpful, depending on how they're taught:
  • Pharmacology: The med school version of this class can be very memorization-intensive, but the grad school version I took was much more principle-based. The amount of overlap was limited, so you can't count on it giving you a huge leg up for medical school. However, having a knowledge of basic pharm principles is definitely high yield, both for medical school and for Step 1.
  • Other classes that fall into this category are biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, embryology, microbiology, immunology, and neurobiology. Look for classes that emphasize principles, and steer clear of classes that are largely memorization. You may have better luck with MS level classes for this purpose.

Classes that are a ton of pain for very limited gain:
  • Anatomy: massive memory dump after every exam. Boring as all get-out. Low yield for Step 1. Low yield for clinical rotations. Significant risk of lowering your GPA depending on how the class is taught and graded. You basically get the same benefits of a medical terminology class for a lot more work, stress, and time.
  • Histo: same as anatomy

Classes that are a ton of pain for very limited gain:
  • Anatomy: massive memory dump after every exam. Boring as all get-out. Low yield for Step 1. Low yield for clinical rotations. Significant risk of lowering your GPA depending on how the class is taught and graded. You basically get the same benefits of a medical terminology class for a lot more work, stress, and time.
  • Histo: same as anatomy

Q, I am just nibbling at Anatomy while you have finished the whole enchilada. So I may later discover that you are correct. For right now, I can't see it. My problem (which I should be working on instead of posting on SDN) is that knowledge in anatomy is cumulative. The more you know, the easier each additional fact becomes to memorize. For example, if I had an overall knowledge of layout of the neck, I would have an easier time memorizing the branches of the vagus. As it is, I am probably going to skip that little set of facts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my take. In rank order of importance. And in rebuttal to the notion that taking courses in medically related courses doesn't help. B/c it can be hard to judge how much something is there in the framework of your cognition. Compared to someone else who doesn't. Especially when it is hard the 2nd or third time anyway. And because the medical school equivalent makes some of the u-grad stuff look anemic.

2. Biochem--much easier with repetition. I still don't know the enzymes of pathways. But I've met them at cocktail parties enough times to remember....the guy with glasses and the honking laugh...yeah ok...what about him.

3. Physiology: Stuff like lung and renal phys is a lot easier upon repeating it. As is the ion channel steps in conducting tissues.

4. Immunology. Never took it. Wish I had. It's always popping up in relation to microbio, biochem, physiology, cancer biology, pharmacology. It's a sneaky complex topic. There was a full year 2 semester course that I could have taken in undergrad. would've been a clutch move. Because just because some scientist mentioned on slide 87/163 on that one first year course that the type 1 sensitivity reaction is such and such....doesn't mean i remember anything about it. And they mention it as if you know it already in 2nd year. Don't sleep on immunology.

I'm with you on the meeting the facts at a cocktail party thing.

Immunology is especially important, also. I took immunology last semester and find it very useful in histo. They are going over connective tissue and they just mention that some cells of CT are mobile - mast/plasma/eosin./basoph./neutro/lymphocytes/macrophages. Macrophages are called histiocytes in CT. End of sentence. Because I had immunology, I know what they are talking about. If I had never had it, I would be thinking. What in the lake of fire are they talking bout?

Just wanted to say thanks to all the posters... this thread gives a great overview of why or why not to take/worry about UG classes. For me, I'm not getting a BS in biology, but will be taking a few upper level courses; it's nice to narrow down some that may give the most benefit. Thanks again!

Q, I am just nibbling at Anatomy while you have finished the whole enchilada. So I may later discover that you are correct. For right now, I can't see it. My problem (which I should be working on instead of posting on SDN) is that knowledge in anatomy is cumulative. The more you know, the easier each additional fact becomes to memorize. For example, if I had an overall knowledge of layout of the neck, I would have an easier time memorizing the branches of the vagus. As it is, I am probably going to skip that little set of facts.
I guess I should also give the caveat that my personal experience is with an allo curriculum and the allo boards. From what I've seen when comparing notes with friends who attended osteo schools, their curriculums seemed to emphasize anatomy more than mine did, and for all I know, your boards may also have more anatomy on them than ours do. That being said, I still think one round of anatomy was plenty painful enough for me, never mind two rounds.

As for the vagus, wait, it has branches??? :smuggrin:

Well then. If choking down whole. Quick and done the dirtiest. Then ok.

But. Not everyone is playing with same deck. Some can dirty deeds on the cheap. And make it look easy.

Myself. I was up against the ropes. Head between my arms. Wondering how...beyond all comprehension...how someone could give a crap about all this scientific trivia. And the only thing that kept me on my feet. Was having seen these types of punches. When I was a younger more ambitious fighter. I saw the scientists feet shift. And I knew where the hits were coming from. And I rolled accordingly.

Had I not seen them coming. It might have meant goodnight. Sweet dreams. Vaya con dios.

ed,
if it is any consolation i think i felt the exact same way before my first anatomy exam. i was :scared: out of my mind.
i passed the written, not the practical but still passed the unit...phew.
and i adjusted my studying for the second unit....made a huge difference.

you will survive, even if it does not seem like it now. and one day soon anatomy will also be in your rear view mirror and you will be thanking every power that is that you passed and you never have to do that again :)

gl :luck:

ed,
if it is any consolation i think i felt the exact same way before my first anatomy exam. i was :scared: out of my mind.

you will survive, even if it does not seem like it now. and one day soon anatomy will also be in your rear view mirror and you will be thanking every power that is that you passed and you never have to do that again :)

My lab test is Tuesday, but it looks like I will do about the same on this unit that you did. I had already adjusted my study methods, but I didn't figure out how to study for this subject till a couple of days ago, and it wasn't soon enough -- Well, I didn't fail it, anyways. Family practice here I come......

My lab test is Tuesday, but it looks like I will do about the same on this unit that you did. I had already adjusted my study methods, but I didn't figure out how to study for this subject till a couple of days ago, and it wasn't soon enough -- Well, I didn't fail it, anyways. Family practice here I come......

one test will not kill you

if you need study tips, pm me i am happy to provide you with what worked for me since anatomy was my darth vader last year

hang in there.....i swear it DOES get better!!!!

one test will not kill you

if you need study tips, pm me i am happy to provide you with what worked for me since anatomy was my darth vader last year

hang in there.....i swear it DOES get better!!!!

I've got the Netters smart phone app. it shows you regions of the body and lets you tap on things to find out the names. This is probably the best way to get familiar with a region BEFORE they start lecturing on it. That should help me.

Nasrudin's course advice above is gold. Exactly what I would have / did found helpful! Ed, good luck on your test. I think anatomy is far and away the worst part of first year.

I've got the Netters smart phone app. it shows you regions of the body and lets you tap on things to find out the names. This is probably the best way to get familiar with a region BEFORE they start lecturing on it. That should help me.

Try the Visible Body iPad application! It allows you to see all structures in 3D and to rotate them infinite ways zoom in/ out, and functional info at your finger tips.

http://www.visiblebody.com/ipad_what_is_it

how did you adjust your study for the second unit??
ed,