What if a specialty becomes obsolete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah maybe so, but there are still procedures involved there and it's harder to automate that. Automating "differential diagnosis" and prescriptions seems really easy and that amounts to much of primary care--family med and medicine at least. NPs yeah there is some truth to that, but why not totally roboticize it. Anyway this is something I want to pursue, lemme know if any of you guys have leads on robodoc

This calls for Dr. Toilet, the ultimate robodoc! He'll replace us all someday...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0fU6Kq4xU[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad.

Mr. Ump brings up a very good point. Shredder has his work cut out for him.

Regardless isn't anyone going to point out that that baby boomers are going to keep all of us scrambling to keep them running into their 90's. Nobody is going to be out of work unless the free world economy itself collapses. And then its all the primary care doc's that will have the upper hand again.

All the rage you will hear in the residency forums about this or that specialty doing this or that procedure or who controls this or that patch of turf is not to be mistaken for being out of a job. Its only important insofar as what your work will be like when you will be practicing which will be exceedingly difficult to predict for the cutting-edge technological specialties.

I have a friend working on some of the research for the development of the next generation of CT machines which involve real time imaging of metabolite markers. Who knows what that will mean for a particular specialty's menu of procedures. But being obsoleted by technology hasn't happened to date if anything it creates opportunities.

People thought infectious diseases were an arcane consideration not so long ago.....whoops. As tired said, plenty of work for all of us.

Thanks for the responses guys. Im just beginning to learn about the history of the medical field and was just curious to see if something like this has ever occured. I guess the general thought here is that changes will occur gradually and doctors will have time to adapt.