What, if anything, would convince you enough to not become a doctor?

mikil100

7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I've had many though experiments to see what would cause me to not want to be physician. Barring physical illness, I'm not really sure I would pass up the opportunity. Even if I won the lottery and had no need to work forever, I would want to be a physician. On a side note the thought of winning it big in lottery, to me, sounds depressing. Of course enough to cover living expenses and loans would be nice ;)

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
On a side note the thought of winning it big in lottery, to me, sounds depressing. Of course enough to cover living expenses and loans would be nice ;)
You think winning the lottery is....depressing??

Personally, I'd much rather win the lotto than run a big company.

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I think if I knew that all doctors would be replaced with robots within 10 years, I would come up with a different plan.

Reactions: PREMEDitated22

tea guzzling traveler

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
For me, if all you could do was touch a button on a screen and never interact with the patient, I would probably look for a different career. I really like the satisfaction of interacting with a person, and I think I would appreciate the privilege of a physician to help them through potentially tough spots. Without that personal interaction, I doubt medicine would be anywhere near as satisfying.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I think if I knew that all doctors would be replaced with robots within 10 years, I would come up with a different plan.
I think if I knew that all doctors would be replaced with nurse practitioners within 10 years, I would come up with a different plan.

FTFY

salemstein

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If the me from 20 years in the future somehow came back and warned my present self: "Don't go down that path. CHANGE WHILE YOU STILL CAN!"

Maruko

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
What, if anything, would convince you enough to not become a doctor?

for me, it would be if I were more than 34 years old by the time of application OR if I would graduate with more than $500k loans...

Lyoness

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
If med school alone was more than 10 years without undergrad or residency. Ain't no body got time for dat.

mikil100

7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
Status
Medical Student
You think winning the lottery is....depressing??

Personally, I'd much rather win the lotto than run a big company.
Well, not depressing. Like I said, a small amount would be great. However, if I won a large amount, I'm not sure I would like to "inherit" the wealth, as opposed to earning it for myself.