What if I choose the wrong school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allerian1004

Practicing Vampire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People keep asking me everday if I have chosen which medical school I'm going to attend. I don't know. I've been doing lot's of research on each school. Can I choose the wrong school? I am trying to decide between MCW and NYMC. (I also was accepted to U of MN TC and Rosalind Franklin, however I don't want to go to either.) Aren't MCW and NYMC about the same tier? I almost wish I wasn't accepted to both of those schools because it would make the decision so much easier. Originally, I was going to wait and decide when I got the financial aid packages but it looks like those come out after the May 15th deadline. Advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to choose the wrong school? For about 3 months, I have been trying to decide which school I am going to attend in the fall. I have done a lot of research on both (NYMC and MCW) and still can't decide. I was also accepted to U of MN and Rosalind Franklin but don't want to go to either. In the end, is it going to make a huge difference which school I choose? Also, do people usually have fin aid packages back before the May 15th deadline? I was hoping that might help me decide. Has anyone been really unhappy with your choice of med school?

I'm sorry if this got posted twice. I couldn't find it once it was originally posted so I made another one.

Members don't see this ad :)
make a list of pros and cons of both schools and give each aspect points (depending on how important they are to you....lie +1 or -2 points) add them up and see which schools "wins". you just gotta pick a school that most aligns with your own values and stick with it. but wherever you go, try to make the most of your experience there. don't look back thinking "what if" cus that's just going to leave you miserable.

People keep asking me everday if I have chosen which medical school I'm going to attend. I don't know. I've been doing lot's of research on each school. Can I choose the wrong school? I am trying to decide between MCW and NYMC. (I also was accepted to U of MN TC and Rosalind Franklin, however I don't want to go to either.) Aren't MCW and NYMC about the same tier? I almost wish I wasn't accepted to both of those schools because it would make the decision so much easier. Originally, I was going to wait and decide when I got the financial aid packages but it looks like those come out after the May 15th deadline. Advice would be appreciated.

MCW and NYMC are probably similarly "ranked", FWIW. But if that were your concern, you would go to U of MN (much better "ranking"), so don't worry about rankings... go where you really think you will be happiest.

Unless one is a PBL hell and the other is not, go with the cheaper (in terms of tuition, cost of living, etc). Other than PBL (God Curse All Who Devised It) it doesn't make a dime's worth of difference where you go especially as you seem to have no preference between the two or no strong feelings making you favor one over the other.

It doesn't matter. "Tier" is a meaningless word and on my blog, it is tagged as an inappropriate word. (You know, like "top-****" or "pas$ion.") You'd certainly be making a mistake to pick one based on a nebulous ranking scheme that has never been heard of outside of SDN.

Just commit to a school, cancel at the others to give three people who are biting their nails waiting for an acceptance anywhere some good news, and start enjoying the last few months of freedom for the rest of your life. It's selfish to hold onto those spots.

Stop worrying about the rankings. I'd be far more concerned about the relative locations of the schools.

BTW, Panda, scuttlebutt is that PBL is a Harvard invention.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you choose the wrong school, you'll still become a doctor.

Agreed. If you have done your research, you'd probably like both schools just the same. Take a second look at both schools, wait for fin aid packages to come out. If it's still that tough a question, flip a coin... and be thankful of the position you're in because half the people don't get one acceptance, not including the innumerable amount of pre-med washouts.

hey, wisconsin and ny i'd imagine are really different environments (geographically, socially, etc..) im from the east coast, so i'd favor nymc just cause i like and am used to the east coast atmosphere, weather, etc... ive never been to wisconsin, so i cant speak for it...:D

Have you considered the location of the schools? Would you rather be Milwaukee or just outside of Manhattan? Location is the biggest deciding factor for me.

Edit: I saw you're from Minnesota...would you rather be in the same environment or try something new? Also, how important is it that you're close to your family and friends?

why would you not go to U of MN? UMN >>>>>>>> NYMC or MCW.

I know that U of MN is ranked very well, but I've attended the U of MN before and didn't like it. I ended up going to a very small college where community was a huge part. I went to the U and hated it because of that. U of MN is indeed a great school. I just don't think it's a good fit for me. I have grown up in the midwest and went to school in Chicago. I would be comfortable in Milwaukee but NY would be something completely new and exciting. I wish that I had the financial aid packages. Although tuition for MCW and NYMC is the same, the cost of living is obviously very different. According to the websites, it sounds like you don't get packages until June. I thought you could only hold one acceptance after May 15th? I honestly wish that I could hand some of these acceptances away. Wouldn't that be amazing if you could designate someone to get your acceptance?

Nothing happens. :) My thought is that there's really not that much variation amongst medical schools, so the school experience will be the same either way. Location's vary, though, so I'd probably decide just based on where I'd rather live for the next few years. As for the UMN thing, the medical school is going to be a lot smaller than the whole university. Also, medical schools in general are completely separate things from the ugrads they're affiliated with -- I don't think you're giving UMN a fair shot if you're judging them based on your ugrad experience there.

I'm scared of the same thing, making the wrong decision, but then again, I made a nice little home out of Baltimore, so I am confident in my ability to fit in anywhere. Unless you have mad identity issues with your surroundings and people around you, I think you will be fine anywhere you go.

Also try rolling your hip over more and have your base foot turn more as a result, and using knife foot generally helps this as well.

I have many reservations about the U of MN. Many are personal. Some have to do with the hospital system they use. Most U of MN students do rotations at The Fairview system of which I am not a big fan. I'm sure that there are many students who would love to go to the U of MN. I just don't think I'm one of them.

Is it possible to choose the wrong school?

No. Assuming you are indifferent about the location, costs and all other things being equal, then it doesn't really matter. Buyers remorse is silly -- just pull the trigger and go to med school. Some of the best decisions you make in life will be toss ups.

No. Assuming you are indifferent about the location, costs and all other things being equal, then it doesn't really matter. Buyers remorse is silly -- just pull the trigger and go to med school. Some of the best decisions you make in life will be toss ups.

Truer words were never spoken. And the corollary, some of the best planned decisions in life qang aft aglay.

Truer words were never spoken. And the corollary, some of the best planned decisions in life qang aft aglay.

I see you also drank deep from the pitcher of kook-aid.

Stop worrying about the rankings. I'd be far more concerned about the relative locations of the schools.

BTW, Panda, scuttlebutt is that PBL is a Harvard invention.

yea, right. Rankings dont matter at all.
Yea I guess harvard students dont have a better shot at a more competitive residency program (in general) than someone from rosalind franklin or a school in a similar tier. Sure, that sounds about right. Or it could be people from lower tiered schools who hope that this statement is true.

;)

I've been wondering the exact same thing lately. The good news is, you will never know if you made the right choice or not. There is no way to find out if you would have liked it better at the other school. Just pick one and move on.

yea, right. Rankings dont matter at all.
Yea I guess harvard students dont have a better shot at a more competitive residency program (in general) than someone from rosalind franklin or a school in a similar tier. Sure, that sounds about right. Or it could be people from lower tiered schools who hope that this statement is true.

;)

I don't know how many times we have to say this, the advantage of going to a top-**** school are vastly over-rated when it comes to matching. I went to about as low-**** a school as is possible and we sent people to Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Mayo, and the like for residency in everything from Family Practice to Neurosurgery.

Harvard sent more people by percentage into primary care than my school so I guess we ruled and they drooled.

Who you are is vastly more important than where you go.

Besides, the OP is not trying to decide between Harvard and Johns Hopkins. Seems like he's dithering about a distinction without a difference. Heck, I've never even heard of any of his choices. They're not exactly household names.

Heck, I've never even heard of any of his choices. They're not exactly household names.

You've obviously not paid much attention to the Allo Class threads (I know, I know, no reason to). ::p MCW needs it's own sub-forum in there for all of our threads. :D We're probably not household names because a lot of us spend waaaayyy too much time on SDN (especially around exams). :rolleyes:

Edit: btw, MCW is a very fun school, with very nice people. I really like it, and I'm glad I went here.

:thumbup: I agree with the above post. If you've checked everything else, you've got to go with your gut. Then, once you've made your choice, go full out and never look back.

You can, in fact, wait until you get your financial aid packages. Just contact both schools and say that you're waiting on financial aid, and they will let you hold on to those acceptances until you get your packages. If they distribute their aid packages so late, that's their fault, not yours. Just make sure they know that that's why you're still holding on to both acceptances. However, I'm honestly not sure that it will make much of a difference - both will probably give you lots of loans and the amount you'll need to take out will probably end up being the same amount that you can already access on their website. So you should really make an effort to decide now, rather than waiting for financial aid.