What if I don't apply to my in-state school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_DVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a new thread a couple of weeks ago about getting into NC State. If I decided not to apply to my in-state school, do you think that the schools which I do apply to would question me concerning this in an interview? Would it look bad on my part not to apply to my in-state institution? As of right now, with the stats that I have, I think I have a strong chance of getting in at Iowa, Oklahoma, Tennessee or Virginia-Tech.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools don't know where else you applied unless you choose to tell them during interviews, so you won't get asked why you chose not to apply to your IS. You're more likely to be asked why you're interested in attending that particular OOS institution, and you might want a better reason that "I thought I had a better chance of getting in". :)

Unless you have some strong reasons for not wanting to attend your IS, I'd highly recommend applying even if you think your chances of getting in are low. You never know, you might get in, and the cheaper tuition is not something to turn away lightly.

Thank you for your reply. I would definitely put a lot of thought into answering why I applied to a certain school before I attended an interview there lol. I may end up applying in-state, but honestly I really think I have a better chance at this point elsewhere. Also, I was under the impression that every school you apply to could see your application to other schools, as well as the personal statement that you submit to each school(hopefully not).

Members don't see this ad :)
I had assumed that they would see on VMCAS which other VMCAS-using schools you applied to... Is that not true? I seem to remember there also being a question that asked what other schools you're applying to that don't use VMCAS. But maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Thank you for your reply. I would definitely put a lot of thought into answering why I applied to a certain school before I attended an interview there lol. I may end up applying in-state, but honestly I really think I have a better chance at this point elsewhere. Also, I was under the impression that every school you apply to could see your application to other schools, as well as the personal statement that you submit to each school(hopefully not).

Well, your VMCAS app is going to be the same for each school so I guess in that respect they can see your application to other schools (if the other places you applied are visible, I'm not really sure).

But the supplementals won't be available to anyone else other than the school that it's for.

Given that you didn't apply, I think they would be less concerned than if you did. Applying to your IS and attending there for cheaper tuition gives them a greater reason to think you may turn them down if you're also accepted to their school. This was pretty clear during my K-State interview. So I don't think you have much to be concerned about.

You won't get interviewed at oklahoma if you're out of state.

Last year schools could see where else you applied. Not sure if it has changed for this cycle, but I know for sure last year they could.

Also, Hopeful_DVM, I know it may seem like you won't get into NCSU, but really I would just apply. There's no interview so really the only thing you would be losing is money (which I don't mean to trivialize, but that application fee is paltry when compared to tuition). Also their head of admissions changed this year, so it's a new year in terms of how they run admission so you never know how this year's will go. Doesn't hurt to try!
ETA: but now I'm thinking you might have missed the supplemental deadline? Not sure if I remember right, but I think it was October 2nd. So my suggestion may be irrelevant, sorry

Last year schools could see where else you applied. Not sure if it has changed for this cycle, but I know for sure last year they could.

Also, Hopeful_DVM, I know it may seem like you won't get into NCSU, but really I would just apply. There's no interview so really the only thing you would be losing is money (which I don't mean to trivialize, but that application fee is paltry when compared to tuition). Also their head of admissions changed this year, so it's a new year in terms of how they run admission so you never know how this year's will go. Doesn't hurt to try!
ETA: but now I'm thinking you might have missed the supplemental deadline? Not sure if I remember right, but I think it was October 2nd. So my suggestion may be irrelevant, sorry

Thanks dalmationdoc. I am not applying anywhere this cycle, it will be next cycle before I begin the application process. With the head of admissions changing, it is possible that the admissions formula for next years cycle will change as well. I have also been considering applying to Ohio State, however I am somewhat confused about their pre-reqs that are suppose to change next year maybe, do you know anything about this?

I was questioned in my interview about why I wasn't going to my IS school, more specifically why should they let me in when most people attend their IS school, so be prepared for the question if you get an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks dalmationdoc. I am not applying anywhere this cycle, it will be next cycle before I begin the application process. With the head of admissions changing, it is possible that the admissions formula for next years cycle will change as well. I have also been considering applying to Ohio State, however I am somewhat confused about their pre-reqs that are suppose to change next year maybe, do you know anything about this?
Oh sorry, I totally knew you weren't applying this year... I have anatomy brain at the moment, the test is monday.

Oh I definitely encourage you to apply to OSU, it's amazing here! You know they have talked to us a bit about the program and admissions future, but I can't remember anything about pre-reqs. But generally if a school does change pre-reqs they give a warning before it goes into effect so they don't screw over anyone (for example NCSU did this a few years back) so it likely wouldn't apply to you.

I was questioned in my interview about why I wasn't going to my IS school, more specifically why should they let me in when most people attend their IS school, so be prepared for the question if you get an interview.

What was you answer if you don't mind me asking? Did they think it was a good one?

Awesome, because VMCAS told me that college designations are not revealed...

OP:
I took a look at your other thread, and it looks like your main concern is grades. Hoping for input from others on this....but don't schools typically prefer OOS students to have really good GPAs? It was always my understanding that accepted OOS students tend to have higher GPAs than the accepted IS students at the same school.
http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions.html so pretty much like that table. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you, I guess I'm just not understanding why you'd choose not to apply to your IS in favor of OOS schools based on that (if your reasoning is solely your GPA

Also, I have a pretty strong feeling that I will never get into my IS. I am still applying in hopes of getting IS tuition. Even if you think your chances are slim, the possibility of having less debt is not something to ignore.

Given that you didn't apply, I think they would be less concerned than if you did. Applying to your IS and attending there for cheaper tuition gives them a greater reason to think you may turn them down if you're also accepted to their school. This was pretty clear during my K-State interview. So I don't think you have much to be concerned about.
I might need you to rephrase this, if you don't mind. Did the school make it seem like they're more like to deny OOS applicants if they see they also applied to their IS school?

Well, I guess I should say that it's NCSU that told me this. One of their adcoms said it looks bad if you apply to too many schools (something about not being confident in yourself and not really wanting to go to their school) and that they can see the list. Since I didn't hear it directly from VMCAS I guess I shouldn't say I know for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that schools receive just a pdf of your entire application (minus the section listing all the schools you've applied to). I remember last year after I submitted and paid, I had a page listing each of the school names, with a little circular button next to the school name that allowed me to download the packet that had been sent to that particular school. It had the name of that specific school listed at the top of each page, and had all of your application parts in it other than that list of schools.

In any case, I applied to a TON of schools last year, but it was never mentioned in any of my interviews.

Well, I guess I should say that it's NCSU that told me this. One of their adcoms said it looks bad if you apply to too many schools (something about not being confident in yourself and not really wanting to go to their school) and that they can see the list. Since I didn't hear it directly from VMCAS I guess I shouldn't say I know for sure.
I've heard that too, that too many schools makes it look like you don't care where you go, as long as you get in somewhere.
VMCAS told me that your designations are not revealed during the application process, and that schools can request additional info on applicants after April 15th. I could have misunderstood that though...

I was under the impression that schools receive just a pdf of your entire application (minus the section listing all the schools you've applied to). I remember last year after I submitted and paid, I had a page listing each of the school names, with a little circular button next to the school name that allowed me to download the packet that had been sent to that particular school. It had the name of that specific school listed at the top of each page, and had all of your application parts in it other than that list of schools.

In any case, I applied to a TON of schools last year, but it was never mentioned in any of my interviews.
This year's VMCAS debacle revealed that the PDF we can download after submitting isn't what the schools receive. So it is possible that they do get a page of our other designations.

Reactions: 1 users
I might need you to rephrase this, if you don't mind. Did the school make it seem like they're more like to deny OOS applicants if they see they also applied to their IS school?

One of my interviewers was Canadian and knew that Canadian schools charge less than a 1/4 of what the K-State tuition was, so she put me on the spot.

"If you were accepted to a school up there as well as Kansas State, where would you go?"

So I do think how you handle such a question can impact your score. You don't want to go "Oh, definitely up there where it's cheap!" or "Oh definitely K-State, I love K-State!" either...so some degree of finesse is needed.

One of my interviewers was Canadian and knew that Canadian schools charge less than a 1/4 of what the K-State tuition was, so she put me on the spot.

"If you were accepted to a school up there as well as Kansas State, where would you go?"

So I do think how you handle such a question can impact your score. You don't want to go "Oh, definitely up there where it's cheap!" or "Oh definitely K-State, I love K-State!" either...so some degree of finesse is needed.
"Based on the economy and current job market, I'd like to not be in as much debt." :p

"Based on the economy and current job market, I'd like to not be in as much debt." :p

I definitely made it about which school provided the most opportunities for my interests, but at least most of the time if they ask about an IS you won't have such a tuition gap that will make things as awkward.

Yeah, I got asked why I wasn't going to Penn in my Auburn interview. Couldn't really say I was rejected at the time (I did have an actual answer to give them), but definitely have a convincing answer.

I've heard that too, that too many schools makes it look like you don't care where you go, as long as you get in somewhere.
VMCAS told me that your designations are not revealed during the application process, and that schools can request additional info on applicants after April 15th. I could have misunderstood that though...

Heads up, even if they don't get a list, many schools ask where else you applied/have interviewed during interview.

OP:
I took a look at your other thread, and it looks like your main concern is grades. Hoping for input from others on this....but don't schools typically prefer OOS students to have really good GPAs? It was always my understanding that accepted OOS students tend to have higher GPAs than the accepted IS students at the same school.
http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions.html so pretty much like that table. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you, I guess I'm just not understanding why you'd choose not to apply to your IS in favor of OOS schools based on that (if your reasoning is solely your GPA

Yes, my concern is the grades in the required pre-reqs. I have overall gpa of about 3.6-3.7, but i screwed up a general chem class and it brings my required science gpa down. If i apply to NCSU the way they calculate the required gpa will bring mine down to around or just a tad below the required 3.3.....This is not the case at other schools, for instance VT where general chem is not even calculated into the required gpa.

OP:

Also, I have a pretty strong feeling that I will never get into my IS. I am still applying in hopes of getting IS tuition. Even if you think your chances are slim, the possibility of having less debt is not something to ignore.

Yes, my concern is the grades in the required pre-reqs. I have overall gpa of about 3.6-3.7, but i screwed up a general chem class and it brings my required science gpa down. If i apply to NCSU the way they calculate the required gpa will bring mine down to around or just a tad below the required 3.3.....This is not the case at other schools, for instance VT where general chem is not even calculated into the required gpa.

Last I heard Ohio State is looking closely at their prereq requirements, possibly may be adding a phys requirement and cutting down some others. Not sure when all this is going to happen/if it's going to happen though, so don't take my word for it. I definitely second dalmatiandoc though. I absolutely love it here.

What was you answer if you don't mind me asking? Did they think it was a good one?
Must have been good cause I got in!

My answer was specific to my situation.
I basically (kind of made it up/thought it up on the spot) explained why Penn (the school that asked) was a better fit, cast some slight aspersions on UCD (the IS school), and explained that the financial difference wasn't all that much for me. But TBH, I am a very good interviewee, and pretty good at BS-ing almost anything, so you might want to think it out ahead of time.

I did end up picking Penn so maybe I even convinced myself!

Last I heard Ohio State is looking closely at their prereq requirements, possibly may be adding a phys requirement and cutting down some others. Not sure when all this is going to happen/if it's going to happen though, so don't take my word for it. I definitely second dalmatiandoc though. I absolutely love it here.

I think they have already decided to change it going by what is listed on their website. It say pre-reqs for 2015-2016 admissions cycle. Look towards the middle of the page.
http://vet.osu.edu/education/prerequisites

I think they have already decided to change it going by what is listed on their website. It say pre-reqs for 2015-2016 admissions cycle. Look towards the middle of the page.
http://vet.osu.edu/education/prerequisites
I guess they did give warning like I thought, I just didn't realize that was now :p

Thanks for posting that. It's very interesting to see how they're changing it.

I agree that there is some amount of finesse to not come off as bluntly unprofessional, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with directly answering the question. If you can support why you'd go to K-state as a first choice, definitely say so. If you won't choose k-state over cheaper tuition, it is okay to say, "financial factors will influence my final decision." They know that is true for 99% of people, so they just want to know if there is something special they should know about.

At one OOS interview, I was asked about my instate and I told them my instate had found me ineligible for admissions this year. I told them the truth, and that I was disappointed and originally not even planning to attend this interview, but have been really impressed with this school after touring and talking with faculty. They seemed quite pleased with my honesty and I was accepted.

Every adcom has their own unkown wishes for a candidate, but in general if you state the truth in a professional matter and end with a positive, you'll be good to go and probably better than stumbling through something they know you're making up.

Last edited:
So....you are willing to take on thousands and thousands more dollars worth of debt that you will struggle to pay off as an OOS student, rather than even try applying to your IS school or at least taking a semester/year to improve your grades in one class? Are you high? Did I miss something here?

Are you positive this is correct?

Organic Chemistry / 8
After completion of General or Introductory Chemistry,
a two-semester sequence in Organic Chemistry with laboratories is required.

Therefore, General chem IS required and does count in your GPA, at least in the cumulative GPA

Cumulative GPA: Grades earned in all college course work attempted, including repeated courses and graduate work, are considered in the calculation of the cumulative GPA. "Freshman rule" or other forgiveness policies on low grades are not accepted or used by this college

and most likely the science GPA as well.

Required science course GPA: Includes the prerequisite science courses listed above

Where did you find this information? My gen chem grades were most definitley included when I applied, although it was several years back

So....you are willing to take on thousands and thousands more dollars worth of debt that you will struggle to pay off as an OOS student, rather than even try applying to your IS school or at least taking a semester/year to improve your grades in one class? Are you high? Did I miss something here?

I haven't completely ruled out applying to my in-state. This is a "what if" scenario.

Are you positive this is correct?

Organic Chemistry / 8
After completion of General or Introductory Chemistry,
a two-semester sequence in Organic Chemistry with laboratories is required.

Therefore, General chem IS required and does count in your GPA. Where did you find this information? My gen chem grades were most definitley included when I applied, although it was several years back

General chem grades are NOT included in the required science gpa at VT. This information is available by calling the admissions office or on VMCAS website.

Well excuse me. I stand surprised and corrected. Things must have changed in the past few years.

I still think not even bothering to apply IS is idiotic.

Last edited:
I haven't completely ruled out applying to my in-state. This is a "what if" scenario.

Your what if has been answered. Schools can't see where else you have applied. I'm just trying to understand why you are considering not even trying.

You are not even applying till next cycle. You have plenty of time to improve things that need improving. You sound like you are accepting potential failure before you even try. Do not consider the financials of this lightly. Even if it takes an extra cycle or two to get into IS, it will save you thousands in debt. Don't go running off for the "easiest" acceptance and ignore the financial implications.

I agree that there is some amount of finesse to not come off as bluntly unprofessional, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with directly answering the question. If you can support why you'd go to K-state as a first choice, definitely say so. If you won't choose k-state over cheaper tuition, it is okay to say, "financial factors will influence my final decision." They know that is true for 99% of people, so they just want to know if there is something special they should know about.

At one OOS interview, I was asked about my instate and I told them my instate had found me ineligible for admissions this year. I told them the truth, and that I was disappointed and originally not even planning to attend this interview, but have been really impressed with this school after touring and talking with faculty. They seemed quite pleased with my honesty and I was accepted.

Every adcom has their own unkown wishes for a candidate, but in general if you state the truth in a professional matter and end with a positive, you'll be good to go and probably be stumbling through something they know you're making up.

Well, yes of course honesty is the best policy, and I don't think I implied that if you did love the school, not to back it up....and I believe stumbling through something rehearsed is the obvious thing not to do.

However, I think there are ways around saying certain blunt truths like that you weren't originally planning on attending the interview while still being honest and giving them your personal thoughts. Saying that you were unsure of attending the interview begs the question of why you even applied in my opinion, but different people will see things differently.

I think we agree the point is not to be fake while not always being overly blunt. Obviously it's up to the interviewee to figure out what they think works best for them.

Your what if has been answered. Schools can't see where else you have applied. I'm just trying to understand why you are considering not even trying.

All of this has been explained.

You are not even applying till next cycle. You have plenty of time to improve things that need improving. You sound like you are accepting potential failure before you even try. Do not consider the financials of this lightly. Even if it takes an extra cycle or two to get into IS, it will save you thousands in debt. Don't go running off for the "easiest" acceptance and ignore the financial implications.

For me getting in on the first attempt would be worth the extra money over having to wait for 2 or more cycles.

For me getting in on the first attempt would be worth the extra money over having to wait for 2 or more cycles.

uhhh... 1 year of time vs. saving possibly over $100,000... how many people can say that they saved $100,000 or more by simply being patient and working hard to get where they needed to be?

uhhh... 1 year of time vs. saving possibly over $100,000... how many people can say that they saved $100,000 or more by simply being patient and working hard to get where they needed to be?

That likely is not even fully counting the extra interest that will accrue over the years that it takes to pay back...

Coming from a 2nd time applicant (as in I'm applying for a second time this year), I urge you to rethink this statement. I get the whole "the sooner I get in, the sooner I get out and start my life." Trust me. However, take a look around you. Based off of this statement alone, I wonder if you have any financial sense or any idea how bleak the job market seems NOW (not even considering where it will be in the next few years). I will never sit here and tell you I'm a financial wiz or an expert on jobs/economy, but there is absolutely no reason you should think getting in on your first try is worth double to triple the debt of your IS.

This is the kind of thing that seems to make sense at first, but in 25 years you will be in agony over.

Even if you have to retake classes, you are still better off waiting!

I ended up taking my only acceptance, despite the pretty drastic jump in tuition. Part of it was the desire to just get going so I could be done, but I also had some pretty heavy GPA repair ahead of me to be competitive for my IS and was eyeing a residency which is another three years. I don't like to think about the size of my loans compared to what my IS would have cost, but I also didn't have any other debt on my shoulders and have a spouse who is willing to support us. I don't at all disagree with the previous thoughts on the matter, but I also think it's a decision that should be made on an individual basis.

Like WTF said, it doesn't make sense not to apply to your IS. You say you think you have a good shot at certain OOS schools but the truth of the matter is, vet school admissions is not at all dependable and your chances cannot at all be reliably extrapolated from previous application cycles' data. If you think your application is weak, apply broadly and intelligently but throw your hat into your IS pool in the off-chance that you do get in and can save yourself the tuition costs.

Yes I will certainly be applying to my in-state if I have the required science gpa at that time.

Coming from a 2nd time applicant (as in I'm applying for a second time this year), I urge you to rethink this statement. I get the whole "the sooner I get in, the sooner I get out and start my life." Trust me. However, take a look around you. Based off of this statement alone, I wonder if you have any financial sense or any idea how bleak the job market seems NOW (not even considering where it will be in the next few years). I will never sit here and tell you I'm a financial wiz or an expert on jobs/economy, but there is absolutely no reason you should think getting in on your first try is worth double to triple the debt of your IS.

This is the kind of thing that seems to make sense at first, but in 25 years you will be in agony over.

I have thought deeply about the tuition increase of going to an out of state school, which is certainly not something to take lightly. For me the job market is not terribly bleak, as I have a huge interest in Large Animal Medicine, as well as government(USDA etc.) I know that there are some who will say that there is no drastic need for Large Animal Veterinarians. But, this is not the case in the area in which I live. The sole large animal practitioner in my county gets so many calls that he can't even get to them all.

I have thought deeply about the tuition increase of going to an out of state school, which is certainly not something to take lightly. For me the job market is not terribly bleak, as I have a huge interest in Large Animal Medicine, as well as government(USDA etc.) I know that there are some who will say that there is no drastic need for Large Animal Veterinarians. But, this is not the case in the area in which I live. The sole large animal practitioner in my county gets so many calls that he can't even get to them all.
Can your area support two large animal vets financially though? Enough to make up for hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt difference if you end up OOS, enough to justify not even applying IS? Are you even sure you would end up in your area? Or that the need for another vet would even still exist by the time you graduate? A government job is far from a guarantee as well, the money is good but the competition is fierce. And what if your interests change when you are in school? You really aren't being logical here.

Yes I will certainly be applying to my in-state if I have the required science gpa at that time.

Some as in the AABP itself?

The AABP issued a report in 2011 stating that parts of rural America are underserved by veterinarians not because of a shortage of willing practitioners but because it simply isn't possible for large animal veterinarians to make a viable living in these areas. - http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/no-veterinary-workforce-shortage-study-finds

The is a need for large animal veterinarians. Absolutely. However, the economy in many if not most rural areas right now cannot support the number of rural/ambulatory vets it would need. The fact that he is getting so many calls doesn't mean anything - how much money is he making from these calls? Can that county support more than one vet in terms of how much people will pay for services? If that amount of calls for split in half, could two vets survive on what is already likely a mediocre salary for one?

You are also assuming you will get a job in the county in which you live. Either that, or you plan to start your own ambulatory service directly out of school?

USDA jobs, or any jobs outside of general pactice, are also not nearly as common as you may think. If it isn't slaughterhouse or feedlot inspection, you're likely going to need additional training. Take it from someone who was force fed the whole "there is a need for vets in research/govt/nontrad stuff" bull**** for years and is now having to acquire years and years of training post vet school at crap pay to be competitive in the non-general-practice sphere.

tl;dr summary is, especially in the economically shaky realm of vet med, you can't rely on any sort of "guaranteed" (or even "very likely") job prospects (forecasting 4+ years in the future I might add) in order to justify taking on SIGNIFICANT additional debt when it may be avoided, even if that is by delaying matriculation for a year or two in order to have a much better chance of going IS. Especially if a big reason you would want to get in sooner would be that it would cost extra to apply for another cycle or two. That is a drop in the bucket.

Last edited: