What if I don't get into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This honestly scares the absolute **** out of me, what good is my bio degree if I don't get in, I don't want to be stuck working in some lab or something like that. There is no other profession I really want to go into other than dentistry. It feels like I am putting all my chips in one basket. I'm only a freshman but realizing how hard undergrad can be, I worry what if I don't get the grades I need and end up rejected to dental schools? Then I am literally screwed...

Members don't see this ad.

You're correct, a bachelor's in biology presents limited job options.
But with the guidance of the information available to you on SDN, you should be able to get in, one way or another.
Just take care of your grades at this point and eventually ECs, and the rest will come.

Reactions: 1 user
You're correct, a bachelor's in biology presents limited job options.
But with the guidance of the information available to you on SDN, you should be able to get in, one way or another.
Just take care of your grades at this point and eventually ECs, and the rest will come.
Yea I am definitely striving for a 4.0 my first semester. I got a 100% on my first chem 105 exam so that felt good, but my first bio exam I'm not sure how it went, I'm sure I got at least a B, and hope I got an A but I don't know yet, maybe I'm just beating myself up too much over one exam, and hey a B isn't bad, but I NEED AN A, especially in an intro level bio class, anything less than an A is not acceptable and will just make me go crazy. I mean I'm confident I can get an A in chem, ehtics and psychology should also be A's, but we'll see about bio, kind of premature talking about grades considering even if I get a B on the first exam I could still bump the grade up to an A.

Also does calculus count towards science gpa? I have A's in both calc 1 and calc 2 so that would be nice if they do count toward science gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah if you don't get in one year apply the next. Even if dentistry doesn't work out ultimately, that doesn't mean that you should just quit life and that you're stuck in a corner with you "limited" biology degree. Do a masters in bio. Major again in something else. Travel the world.

Yeah if you don't get in one year apply the next. Even if dentistry doesn't work out ultimately, that doesn't mean that you should just quit life and that you're stuck in a corner with you "limited" biology degree. Do a masters in bio. Major again in something else. Travel the world.
Thing is, if I don't get into dental school and it ends up not being the career for me, I wouldn't want to do something in healthcare, I would rather do something in business/finance. But dentistry tops business/finance. So should I maybe major in one of those while still taking pre-dental pre-reqs so I have my options open?

This honestly scares the absolute **** out of me, what good is my bio degree if I don't get in, I don't want to be stuck working in some lab or something like that. There is no other profession I really want to go into other than dentistry. It feels like I am putting all my chips in one basket. I'm only a freshman but realizing how hard undergrad can be, I worry what if I don't get the grades I need and end up rejected to dental schools? Then I am literally screwed...

Looks like I'm not alone. This scares me too.:scared:

Thing is, if I don't get into dental school and it ends up not being the career for me, I wouldn't want to do something in healthcare, I would rather do something in business/finance. But dentistry tops business/finance. So should I maybe major in one of those while still taking pre-dental pre-reqs so I have my options open?

This is something you can do. You can major in anything as long as you take the required courses to get into dental school. But to me though, not only do you have to take all the classes that you need to graduate with a business/finance degree, you also have to take the required science classes for dental school which means more credit hours. The more credit hours you take during undergrad the more tuition you have to pay. This is why I just major in biology just to kill two birds with one stone while saving money. But yeah I'm scared with being a stuck with a biology degree.

This is something you can do. You can major in anything as long as you take the required courses to get into dental school. But to me though, not only do you have to take all the classes that you need to graduate with a business/finance degree, you also have to take the required science classes for dental school which means more credit hours. The more credit hours you take during undergrad the more tuition you have to pay. This is why I just major in biology just to kill two birds with one stone while saving money. But yeah I'm scared with being a stuck with a biology degree.
Exactly, if I get my schedule worked out right and do well, I could graduate in 3 years with a bio w/liberal arts emphasis degree and all dental pre-reqs done. In the end, I just want to be a dentist. If I don't get into dental school it just kills my plans and I have no direction in life. I go from making 150k+ to wanting to kill myself.

You're in luck, math does count toward your science GPA :)

Exactly, if I get my schedule worked out right and do well, I could graduate in 3 years with a bio w/liberal arts emphasis degree and all dental pre-reqs done. In the end, I just want to be a dentist. If I don't get into dental school it just kills my plans and I have no direction in life. I go from making 150k+ to wanting to kill myself.

Oh man! :eek: This is immature.

Members don't see this ad :)

what you do if you don't get it? you apply to alot of schools (be smart about your selections) have the right GPA/DAT and you should get in.

If not... apply again next year.

First, it may be too early to be worried about getting into dental school right now. Cross that bridge when you get to it and just worry about getting the grades you need for now. Secondly, getting in isn't all about the grades. Sure you will have a much better chance with a higher GPA/DAT but at the end of the day it's going to be your motivation and dedication that will get you in with sub-par stats (not that you will have sub-par stats but just to put your mind at ease). That's not to say you should slack off and just party all through undergrad but showing the adcoms that you have done your best and are dedicated to becoming a dentist will eventually get you in; maybe not the first cycle but eventually you will get in.

You could be a pharmaceutical sales rep with a background in bio and an interest in business. Or a dental sales rep. That is, if you apply 4+ times and don't get into dental school.

Change your major into something thatll allow you to eventually find work and at the same time youre doing this major take all your pre-reqs for dental school (take some during summer if you think itll be too much for you during the regular semesters).

For example you could change your major to education and simultaneously work up to be a teacher of some kind as a back-plan and strive for your main goal of going to D school. Another example change it to business or finance and lay down the path to being an accountant or whatever other job you could get with business/finance major.

If I could go back in time to my freshman year this is what I would have done, and education major is way easier than what I did (chem). If I did that my GPA wouldve def been higher than what I have now and my chances of acceptance wouldve been much better. But Im a stubborn man, even if I did have a back up plan in place I would still keep on applying until I finally got accepted b/c this is all I really want.

Man calm down. There have been people who got in with 3.0 gpas or 17 DATs. Just be sure to keep sGPA and oGPA over a 3.6 and get a 20 on the DAT, do good EC's, shadowing, volunteering, and show that you're a human being and you will be fine. It isn't that hard to get have a good GPA in college, you just have to put the work in.

If you don't receive any acceptances on your first attempt, figure out what went wrong by posting your stats here and calling the Adcoms, and ask them how to improve your app for the next cycle. Eventually you'll get in one way or another.

.....then you've answered your own Q.

Undergrad makes high school look like a joke. Dental school makes undergrad look like a joke. Use that for motivation.

Undergrad makes high school look like a joke. Dental school makes undergrad look like a joke. Use that for motivation.

Well looks like dental school will be a struggle(I am extremely lazy, but kind of getting out of it now in college).

On another note got a 80% on my first bio exam :( I don't know if I will be able to recover to get an A, need at least 96% on each of the remaining 3 exams but we will see. Even if I manage to get a B+/A- I have plenty of classes to make up for that, not to mention I got a 100% on my first chem exam so I do think I will be able to get an A in that, and plus I have A's in both calc 1 and 2 to boost my sGPA. Probably worrying too much over this one test, I may have lost this one battle, but I am still in great shape to win the war.

Well looks like dental school will be a struggle(I am extremely lazy, but kind of getting out of it now in college).

...you didn't think dental school would be hard? :confused:
...and you didn't think that succeeding in a career would be hard? :confused:

Focus on your grades for now and get involved in a community service activity or two. They don't have to be dental related, but its nice if they are. I'd start shadowing sophomore year. I'd take the DAT after your sophomore year, too. Just focus for now on getting adjusted to school--lazy just ain't gonna cut it. You think you can graduate in 3 years with that sort of an attitude? Oh no. Keep your head up, but also consider the reality of this situation. It is not easy to get into dental school. Even folks with top marks struggle.

...you didn't think dental school would be hard? :confused:
...or you didn't think that succeeding in a career would be hard? :confused:
Lol, well obviously I know it's going to be hard, I mean undergrad is even hard, but but comparing the two saying undergrad is a joke makes it seem like it will be really hard.

Lol, well obviously I know it's going to be hard, I mean undergrad is even hard, but but comparing the two saying undergrad is a joke makes it seem like it will be really hard.

If you are dedicated and a hard worker, you will be able to rise to the challenge. Every semester, my load gets tougher, and I have a little freak out at the beginning and say to myself, "How will I EVER get this done?!" And then I do. You gain experience and maturity, and things work out. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort, though!

It's good that you already have an idea of what you want to do with your life. I knew I wanted to go into healthcare when I went to college, but I hadn't narrowed it down to dentistry. So, you're already ahead in the ballgame in that regard. You have got to work HARD, though. Things will only get harder, but remember, you will also get better at studying, multitasking, managing your time, etc. Don't lose sight of the end goal.

If you are dedicated and a hard worker, you will be able to rise to the challenge. Every semester, my load gets tougher, and I have a little freak out at the beginning and say to myself, "How will I EVER get this done?!" And then I do. You gain experience and maturity, and things work out. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort, though!

It's good that you already have an idea of what you want to do with your life. I knew I wanted to go into healthcare when I went to college, but I hadn't narrowed it down to dentistry. So, you're already ahead in the ballgame in that regard. You have got to work HARD, though. Things will only get harder, but remember, you will also get better at studying, multitasking, managing your time, etc. Don't lose sight of the end goal.
True that. I just need to study harder and that is going to be my biggest issue transitioning from high school and my lazy work ethic. The fear of failing however is a huge motivator for me right now, but still need to study harder, no reason not to get an A in all my classes this semester and just pissed I probably won't get a solid A in bio 105

Bio 105... Do you go to school in NC?
Edit: Just checked your post history. I was thinking we maybe went to the same school, but probably not. :)

Lol nope, the basic intro level bio class is called bio 105 here, same as chem, chem 1=105

Oil and natural gas. I got an interview for SWN next week (no schools yet though). My buddy from high school that never went to college made 125k last year. He told me I would be making more than that if I got hired! Only negative is I may have to travel far sometimes when I work but they pay for everything.

To me a bio degree is kinda like 4 wheel drive on a truck. May never need it but when u do you'll be glad u got it.

Oil and natural gas. I got an interview for SWN next week (no schools yet though). My buddy from high school that never went to college made 125k last year. He told me I would be making more than that if I got hired! Only negative is I may have to travel far sometimes when I work but they pay for everything.

To me a bio degree is kinda like 4 wheel drive on a truck. May never need it but when u do you'll be glad u got it.

I don't know if I agree with that...it's not the fact that you have a bio degree that gets you a job working in the oil industry...

I agree with OP, there aren't many opportunities that a bio degree is actually useful for, maybe a few that it's acceptable for.

My brother is the co-owner of his practice and everyone on staff (including the on-call ortho that teaches at the dental school my brother went to) has told me I should at least minor in business. Their rationale has been "If you want to succeed as dentist, you need to know how to run a business. Between payroll and overhead and insurance and everything else, if you can't manage your profits and keep patients coming in, you'll crash and burn."

So maybe you should just minor in business, rock your minor GPA and take the GRE when you are close to graduating so you can get a Master's in business if dental doesn't work out.

I worry what if I end up rejected to dental schools?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcIvIladNnQ[/YOUTUBE]

Do your best to get good grades for now and have faith in yourself.

By the time you finish your degree, you could well decide you'd rather be an astronaut.

You might want to try Economics. Take an intro class and see if you like it. I think it's interesting and it definitely has good job prospects, I'm only in HS though, could always change my mind. With Econ, it's usually better than business at getting the prereqs in, and you can still get a job in business/finance with an Econ degree.

You might want to try Economics. Take an intro class and see if you like it. I think it's interesting and it definitely has good job prospects, I'm only in HS though, could always change my mind. With Econ, it's usually better than business at getting the prereqs in, and you can still get a job in business/finance with an Econ degree.

An economics degree will not prepare you to run your own small business. The whole reason past posters were suggesting a business degree was because it could help a pre-dental student get more acquainted with how to run a small business.

I do agree that in college people should experiment with many different types of classes that are interesting to them, because many people do change their majors and figure out they have a passion for something they did not originally consider. However, that is a separate point.

An economics degree will not prepare you to run your own small business. The whole reason past posters were suggesting a business degree was because it could help a pre-dental student get more acquainted with how to run a small business.

I do agree that in college people should experiment with many different types of classes that are interesting to them, because many people do change their majors and figure out they have a passion for something they did not originally consider. However, that is a separate point.

OP said he would want to work in the business/finance industry if dental school didn't pan out. He wouldn't be running a practice. An Econ degree will definitely work for getting a job in that industry. At some schools Econ is offered through the business school; I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to take some basic entrepreneurship and small business management classes if you're already enrolled in the business school.

I'm still undecided too. I might like Econ, Business, maybe even International Relations or PolSci. Can't even decide whether I want to go to dental school or medical school yet either.

why can't it be as simple as 1. figure out what you wanna do and 2. try your best at it...if youre extremely lazy, go cold turkey and stop watching tv, deactivate facebook, stop partying, bascially stop having fun (at least for a little while, maybe three weeks, and then ease off the hermit lifestyle as you figure out how much less than 100% you need to put in to get an A)...i call it the lazy man's method of overachieving...patent pending

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgnweaZj04[/youtube]

You're a freshman haha don't worry so much just yet. You have all the opportunities to succeed so put the work in and you'll get the results you want.