What If I Dont Make It???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Docs...here's my question...
I'm doing my baccaluareates in Biochem...

Say...u know..hypothetically..that I dont get into med school....what else can I do with a BS in Biochemistry???? Besides research, I hate research...Any further studies....??

Members don't see this ad.

And that is why you you should major in something you have interest in doing rather than major in biochem/bio/physiology just for med school...

Many of my friends are biochem majors, and there are many opportunities open to them. Besides research and medicine, many go to law school (knowing biochem is extremely helpful in certain fields such as intellectual property law) or business school (biotech firms love MBAs who know their science as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
MinnyGophers said:
And that is why you you should major in something you have interest in doing rather than major in biochem/bio/physiology just for med school...

ya...but look at the statistics online of people that got in....most did some type of biology related degree...

Well, if you don't get into medical school, you could consider PA school, pharmacy school, getting an NP, nursing, optometry, dentistry, podiatry, Caribbean, etc.

danman said:

Say...u know..hypothetically..that I dont get into med school....what else can I do with a BS in Biochemistry???? Besides research, I hate research...Any further studies....??

Biochemists work in labs. They do research (academic or for profit) or they teach. You can continue on and get another degree -- medicine, law (patent), maybe business (pharm), and add other facets to your career. But absent that further study, you will be stuck in a lab.
That is why, as the prior poster indicated, if you don't love science, major in something you find interesting. It will sometimes leave you more non-lab-related options.

danman said:
ya...but look at the statistics online of people that got in....most did some type of biology related degree...

That is because 60% of people applying are biology/biochem majors, but that doesn't mean that they are the ones who end up doing the best. Actually, statistics say otherwise.
You seriously should NOT major in biology/biochemistry if a career in those fields hold no interest to you. And if you don't even enjoy those classes, you might end up hurting your GPA more than if you chose a major that you enjoy.

If you don't get into med school the first time around, most likely you'll have to go post-bacc, or do something with your BS before you apply again.

danman said:

Actually, I think of the people who did other majors, a much higher percentage who apply get in. The fastest growing group in med schools over the last decade or two are non-sci majors. It is poor reasoning to think you need to be a bio major because most of the other applicants still are. Only do it if you love it.

danman said:
There was a similar thread earlier today in which a fellow poster noted that pre-meds are the lemmings of pre-professional academia. Indeed this is true. Do you really want your application to be the spitting image of every other one that an adcom sifts through? Good luck with that.

You can research, oh wait you hate that...Join the priesthood. They are about as fanatical and secretive as doctors are. You should fit right in.

DoctorNick83 said:
You can research, oh wait you hate that...Join the priesthood. They are about as fanatical and secretive as doctors are. You should fit right in.

Monks would be better. At least then perhaps you could use the biochem knowledge to make wine.

You could also go into scientific journal editing. I know someone who did that for a number of years. Or if you like media, you could try to find a job with one of those science shows. Could go to law school and do patent law. Or you could work for a cosmetic or perfume or food company if you don't exactly want to do research, although it's still lab work.

BS in Biochem + Pipette + $30,000/year + Socially Inept Coworkers + Never Getting Laid = Your future.

Not getting in is NOT an option :eek:

danman said:

Members don't see this ad :)
danman said:

Don't worry. With personal injury lawyers nowadays, you can probably make a fine living running in front of moving cars and then suing the drivers. And it'll save you all the trouble you're having with biochem.

Hey there--you can go into Pharmaceuticals---industry labs, industry R&D, sales, etc.
You could work at a hospital in the hospital labs.
You could teach.

jackieMD2007 said:
You could teach.
I can't imagine getting any kind of teaching job with just a BA in BioChem. You'd need graduate school.

I bet you could teach at a high school

I'm going to make the assumption that you enjoy biochemistry otherwise you would not major in it being there is a host of other sciences (being you want to go the "traditional" route) that you could major in that would fulfill your pre-med requirements. Why focus on what you should do in case you don't make it and focus on what you should do so that you do make it? Although I don't begrudge you for playing the offense and having back-up plans, I'm sure you wouldn't major in a field you don't like and could possibly leave you high and dry in the event your ultimate goal isn't attainable i.e., you becoming a physician. I'm sure you have thought thoroughly about majoring in biochemistry not because of the antiquated idea that majoring in some field of science is the only path to medical school but because you actually like biochemistry. With that being said just in case you don't make it(which I doubt will happen, I have faith in you) you could take some of the suggestions of the other posts or you can apply for the part for the position of pathologist on the upcoming show CSI:Juneau....j/k :) ...Good Luck :luck:

notdeadyet said:
I can't imagine getting any kind of teaching job with just a BA in BioChem. You'd need graduate school.

Teach for America would LOVE to have a Biochem person...they need math and science!!

I think the realm of garage pharmaceuticals has been unmentioned. As a biochem major, you might be poised to invent the next crystal meth! there's money, a thrill filled life on the lam, and if hollywood drugmakers are any guide, a glamourous well dressed life with hot chicks! You'll have the money of medicine, but the thrill of the mob lifestyle! :D

Schaden Freud said:
BS in Biochem + Pipette + $30,000/year + Socially Inept Coworkers + Never Getting Laid = Your future.

OMG this is soooo true! And I'm a bioc major.....i gotta get in.

danman said:

You can't just look at the statics of people who got in. It doesn't work that way.

Hypothetically....

Let say that 20,000 people will be accepted to medical school this year:
10,000 are biology majors
4,000 are chemistry majors
3,000 are engineering majors
2,000 are math majors
1,000 are humanities majors

Okay, now think that 200,000 people applied:
150,000 are biology majors
40,000 are chemistry majors
5,000 are engineering majors
3,000 are math majors
2,000 are humanities majors

Let's do a little math to find out what percentage of each field makes it into medical school.

6.6% of biology majors are accepted to medical school even though they make up 50% of the medical school's acceptances. While

10% of chem majors are accepted
60% of engineering majors
33% of math majors
50% of humanities majors

Again, let me mention this is HYPOTHETICAL, but it shows a point. Just because there are more biology majors in medical school doesn't mean they have the highest acceptance rate.

jackieMD2007 said:
Teach for America would LOVE to have a Biochem person...they need math and science!!
Oh, sure, or Peace Corps or whatnot. I thought you were talking about actual career prospects.

notdeadyet said:
Oh, sure, or Peace Corps or whatnot. I thought you were talking about actual career prospects.

Teach for America is a real career. It's actually a way to get your teaching certificate, for free, and get a job teaching. How is that not a real career?
Also, if you are a biochem major and teach science, you are pretty much set with a job like that.

ironmanf14 said:
Teach for America is a real career. It's actually a way to get your teaching certificate, for free, and get a job teaching. How is that not a real career?
Sorry, I know that you can make teaching a career afterwards, but most folks I know that have gone to Teach for America do their two years as public service then get out. Last I heard, about half the people who went into Teach for America stayed teachers after the two year commitment. The other half just viewed it as public service. Not a career path.

notdeadyet said:

Lots of high-school teachers have no postgraduate education. Of all my teachers at a top 10 boarding school only one was a PhD, a couple had masters degrees. None of my math or science teachers had anything beyond an Ivy league undergrad education.

Schaden Freud said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:scared:

***reads book***

danman said:

There's always the helpful advice you'll find in my avatar. :smuggrin:

What can I say....I'm all for not standing in the way of people self pruning the tree of life :laugh: Think of it as facilitated Darwinian premed eugenics- if you can't handle the stress of the application process, you get taken out of the gene pool so you aren't around to breed the next generation of neurotic, anal retentive premeds. :laugh:

NOTE: sarcastic nature of above post

notdeadyet said:
Sorry, I know that you can make teaching a career afterwards, but most folks I know that have gone to Teach for America do their two years as public service then get out. Last I heard, about half the people who went into Teach for America stayed teachers after the two year commitment. The other half just viewed it as public service. Not a career path.

well that has nothing to do with whether or not it leads to a career. If you come into TFA (or any other city teaching fellowship) looking to teach math or science, not only can you get a teaching certificate but you are in demand and can get a job that pays at the high end of teaching salaries, granted you are teaching in bad school districts.

IMO, it's better to have a job than wonder around with a worthless bio or pre-med degree that is the result of missing medical school

mshollywoodmd said:
........I'm going to make the assumption that you enjoy biochemistry otherwise you would not major in it being there is a host of other sciences (being you want to go the "traditional" route) that you could major in that would fulfill your pre-med requirements...........

Ok...these other HOST of sciences that you talk about....that fulfill the pre-med requirements....what would they be???

danman said:
Ok...these other HOST of sciences that you talk about....that fulfill the pre-med requirements....what would they be???

It doesn't even HAVE to be a science... you could major in basket weaving and still be able to fulfill the requirements... It's a matter of doing what you enjoy.

MinnyGophers said:
It doesn't even HAVE to be a science... you could major in basket weaving and still be able to fulfill the requirements... It's a matter of doing what you enjoy.

Agree. You come off as more well rounded if you major in a nonscience and still ace the science prereqs. If you have no interest in the sciences this is a much smarter path. Well, not necessarilly basket weaving...