1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What If I Dont Make It???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by danman, Jul 18, 2006.

1. danman

danman Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey Docs...here's my question...
    I'm doing my baccaluareates in Biochem...

Say...u know..hypothetically..that I dont get into med school....what else can I do with a BS in Biochemistry???? Besides research, I hate research...Any further studies....??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    And that is why you you should major in something you have interest in doing rather than major in biochem/bio/physiology just for med school...

4. Blue Planet

Blue Planet Statistics Major
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Many of my friends are biochem majors, and there are many opportunities open to them. Besides research and medicine, many go to law school (knowing biochem is extremely helpful in certain fields such as intellectual property law) or business school (biotech firms love MBAs who know their science as well).

5. danman

danman Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ya...but look at the statistics online of people that got in....most did some type of biology related degree...

6. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, if you don't get into medical school, you could consider PA school, pharmacy school, getting an NP, nursing, optometry, dentistry, podiatry, Caribbean, etc.

7. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Biochemists work in labs. They do research (academic or for profit) or they teach. You can continue on and get another degree -- medicine, law (patent), maybe business (pharm), and add other facets to your career. But absent that further study, you will be stuck in a lab.
    That is why, as the prior poster indicated, if you don't love science, major in something you find interesting. It will sometimes leave you more non-lab-related options.

8. MinnyGophers

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    That is because 60% of people applying are biology/biochem majors, but that doesn't mean that they are the ones who end up doing the best. Actually, statistics say otherwise.
    You seriously should NOT major in biology/biochemistry if a career in those fields hold no interest to you. And if you don't even enjoy those classes, you might end up hurting your GPA more than if you chose a major that you enjoy.

If you don't get into med school the first time around, most likely you'll have to go post-bacc, or do something with your BS before you apply again.

9. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, I think of the people who did other majors, a much higher percentage who apply get in. The fastest growing group in med schools over the last decade or two are non-sci majors. It is poor reasoning to think you need to be a bio major because most of the other applicants still are. Only do it if you love it.

10. hermit

hermit Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There was a similar thread earlier today in which a fellow poster noted that pre-meds are the lemmings of pre-professional academia. Indeed this is true. Do you really want your application to be the spitting image of every other one that an adcom sifts through? Good luck with that.

11. ClockworkDoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can research, oh wait you hate that...Join the priesthood. They are about as fanatical and secretive as doctors are. You should fit right in.

12. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    Monks would be better. At least then perhaps you could use the biochem knowledge to make wine.

13. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You could also go into scientific journal editing. I know someone who did that for a number of years. Or if you like media, you could try to find a job with one of those science shows. Could go to law school and do patent law. Or you could work for a cosmetic or perfume or food company if you don't exactly want to do research, although it's still lab work.

14. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    BS in Biochem + Pipette + $30,000/year + Socially Inept Coworkers + Never Getting Laid = Your future.

Not getting in is NOT an option :eek:

15. TomWestmanRules

TomWestmanRules MD Supplicant
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't worry. With personal injury lawyers nowadays, you can probably make a fine living running in front of moving cars and then suing the drivers. And it'll save you all the trouble you're having with biochem.

16. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey there--you can go into Pharmaceuticals---industry labs, industry R&D, sales, etc.
    You could work at a hospital in the hospital labs.
    You could teach.

17. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can't imagine getting any kind of teaching job with just a BA in BioChem. You'd need graduate school.

18. Kimka83

Kimka83 SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I bet you could teach at a high school

19. mshollywoodmd

mshollywoodmd Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm going to make the assumption that you enjoy biochemistry otherwise you would not major in it being there is a host of other sciences (being you want to go the "traditional" route) that you could major in that would fulfill your pre-med requirements. Why focus on what you should do in case you don't make it and focus on what you should do so that you do make it? Although I don't begrudge you for playing the offense and having back-up plans, I'm sure you wouldn't major in a field you don't like and could possibly leave you high and dry in the event your ultimate goal isn't attainable i.e., you becoming a physician. I'm sure you have thought thoroughly about majoring in biochemistry not because of the antiquated idea that majoring in some field of science is the only path to medical school but because you actually like biochemistry. With that being said just in case you don't make it(which I doubt will happen, I have faith in you) you could take some of the suggestions of the other posts or you can apply for the part for the position of pathologist on the upcoming show CSI:Juneau....j/k :) ...Good Luck :luck:

20. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Teach for America would LOVE to have a Biochem person...they need math and science!!

21. geogil

geogil Still training.
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think the realm of garage pharmaceuticals has been unmentioned. As a biochem major, you might be poised to invent the next crystal meth! there's money, a thrill filled life on the lam, and if hollywood drugmakers are any guide, a glamourous well dressed life with hot chicks! You'll have the money of medicine, but the thrill of the mob lifestyle! :D

22. SmartAlek

SmartAlek Member
    10+ Year Member

OMG this is soooo true! And I'm a bioc major.....i gotta get in.

23. Sondra

Sondra UMC 2010
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You can't just look at the statics of people who got in. It doesn't work that way.

Hypothetically....

Let say that 20,000 people will be accepted to medical school this year:
    10,000 are biology majors
    4,000 are chemistry majors
    3,000 are engineering majors
    2,000 are math majors
    1,000 are humanities majors

Okay, now think that 200,000 people applied:
    150,000 are biology majors
    40,000 are chemistry majors
    5,000 are engineering majors
    3,000 are math majors
    2,000 are humanities majors

Let's do a little math to find out what percentage of each field makes it into medical school.

6.6% of biology majors are accepted to medical school even though they make up 50% of the medical school's acceptances. While

10% of chem majors are accepted
    60% of engineering majors
    33% of math majors
    50% of humanities majors

Again, let me mention this is HYPOTHETICAL, but it shows a point. Just because there are more biology majors in medical school doesn't mean they have the highest acceptance rate.

24. notdeadyet

Attending Physician
    Oh, sure, or Peace Corps or whatnot. I thought you were talking about actual career prospects.

25. R.P. McMurphy

Pre-Medical
    Teach for America is a real career. It's actually a way to get your teaching certificate, for free, and get a job teaching. How is that not a real career?
    Also, if you are a biochem major and teach science, you are pretty much set with a job like that.

26. notdeadyet

Attending Physician
    Sorry, I know that you can make teaching a career afterwards, but most folks I know that have gone to Teach for America do their two years as public service then get out. Last I heard, about half the people who went into Teach for America stayed teachers after the two year commitment. The other half just viewed it as public service. Not a career path.

27. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lots of high-school teachers have no postgraduate education. Of all my teachers at a top 10 boarding school only one was a PhD, a couple had masters degrees. None of my math or science teachers had anything beyond an Ivy league undergrad education.

28. jojocola

jojocola Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:scared:

***reads book***

29. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    There's always the helpful advice you'll find in my avatar. :smuggrin:

30. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    that's the best advice I've gotten off of SDN

31. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    What can I say....I'm all for not standing in the way of people self pruning the tree of life :laugh: Think of it as facilitated Darwinian premed eugenics- if you can't handle the stress of the application process, you get taken out of the gene pool so you aren't around to breed the next generation of neurotic, anal retentive premeds. :laugh:

NOTE: sarcastic nature of above post

32. R.P. McMurphy

Pre-Medical
    well that has nothing to do with whether or not it leads to a career. If you come into TFA (or any other city teaching fellowship) looking to teach math or science, not only can you get a teaching certificate but you are in demand and can get a job that pays at the high end of teaching salaries, granted you are teaching in bad school districts.

IMO, it's better to have a job than wonder around with a worthless bio or pre-med degree that is the result of missing medical school

33. danman

danman Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Ok...these other HOST of sciences that you talk about....that fulfill the pre-med requirements....what would they be???

34. MinnyGophers

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    It doesn't even HAVE to be a science... you could major in basket weaving and still be able to fulfill the requirements... It's a matter of doing what you enjoy.

35. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    Agree. You come off as more well rounded if you major in a nonscience and still ace the science prereqs. If you have no interest in the sciences this is a much smarter path. Well, not necessarilly basket weaving...

36. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician

:thumbup: