What if I don't match into fellowship: pariah the 2nd time around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesPhilly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Before my question, quick preamble: I'm a PG4 applying to C&A fellowship this week (!!). Due to spouse/child commitments, something about them having lives of their own, etc, for the next year and a half I need to be in my current city. I'm not getting any younger over here, so I just want to get this fellowship stuff done and not wait another two years to apply.

But there is of course a chance I might not get it, as I'm only talking about ~7 spots in a desirable city. So lets just say that despite my meager accomplishments such as they are I don't get in. My question is: if I have to apply a second time, at which point I could apply nation-wide, would I be a pariah, dallit [sp?], ie tainted goods for program directors? If so, is it smarter to hold off on applying?

Many thanks as always for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that most PDs would understand if your failure to match the first cycle was mostly due to having a limited range of options, geographically, and that this would not hurt you in a second, wider attempt.

Reactions: 2 users
Old Psych Doc has spoken! I appreciate the response, thank you very much. With your endorsement, I just hit the ERAS 'submit' button. Thank you again!

Also, I was corrected by a friend: it's spelt 'Dalit'. Ops.

Good for you! I would not anticipate any problems for you if you re-enter as long as you describe it well. Keep in mind the the applicants coming from US residencies applying to most CAP fellowships is much much lower than adult residency and PDs can actually individually read every one.