What if I don't work at a research lab full time after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowyoudont

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to take 2 gap years after college to save up for the AMCAS and interviews. I live on the west coast, so interviewing is more expensive, to fly out everywhere.
Thing is, jobs in a lab are kind of scarce around here. So I'm not sure if I can get one.
But, I know I can get SOME sort of full-time job after graduating, even if it has to do with being in an office, or perhaps even a pharmacy technician (the certification here is easy to get, just pass a chemistry test and you're good).

And perhaps I could continue to volunteer at the research lab a little bit, and volunteer at a hospital and shadow... Is this okay? I mean come on, jobs in a lab that are paid are just an unrealistic goal after graduation, even with a BS in biology.

Or, I could also go for a 2 year masters degree, which pays about 24k a year stipend. But that would mean taking courses I guess.

So I am wondering, should I just do random EC's during the gap years and work full time at some job while volunteering a little, or take on a masters degree in biology to show my interest in research?

I honestly just cannot volunteer in the lab FULL TIME, because I will not have money to apply on the AMCAS, NOR will I have money to pay for my living expenses.

I will only have 1.5 years of research experience by the time I graduate college, by the way. It's not a lot....

I would really like to get into an MD/PhD program.

Members don't see this ad.

Flights and hotels are generally paid for by MD/PhD programs. If I were in your shoes, I would try and find a full-time paid research position. Try the NIH Post-baccalaureate IRTA program!

Reactions: 1 users
I think that full time research is absolutely your best bet. The NIH IRTA is probably your best bet, but is competitive and you can also get good experience as a tech.

Have you spoken to your current PI and/or science professors? California has a whole lot of good labs, and the faculty mentors you know now have friends. A member of my lab needed additional research experience and ended up in the lab of a friend of my PI as a technician at Stanford. He probably did a lot of grunt work, but he also got to participate in real research, get a mid author paper, and get accepted into Harvard PhD. My brother in law worked as a tech at Vanderbilt after graduation and got paid 30k a year. Look for labs that use similar techniques etc. as the one you are in now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean come on, jobs in a lab that are paid are just an unrealistic goal after graduation, even with a BS in biology.

This is absolutely false. Everyone I know in college who wanted a tech job got one at a top research institution. I myself received multiple job offers.

Thing is, jobs in a lab are kind of scarce around here. So I'm not sure if I can get one.

Wrong again. There are tons of paid research assistant jobs in the bay area (Stanford, UCSF, Berkeley), as well as in LA and SD. You just need to contact PIs and see if they are interested in hiring. Be proactive, don't wait for a job to fall into your lap. If you are good enough to even consider applying to MSTPs you can get a paid research job anywhere.

Here's the thing about being an MD/PhD applicant. The top 5 things that programs want to see are:
1. Research experience
2. MCAT score
3. Research experience
4. Undergraduate GPA
5. Research experience

Volunteer stuff and other ECs fall in the next 6-10 things that programs look for.

Your plan is perfect for an MD applicant with great MCAT or GPA but is the exact wrong thing for an MSTP applicant.