what if I get an F in orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugarmagnolia91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing an informal post-bacc at my state school and I'm really concerned that I'm going to fail orgo 1. I have a cumulative final in 4 days and I'm studying like crazy to salvage my chances, BUT I just want to have a worst-case scenario plan.

Can I get into dental school with an F on my post-bacc transcript? Do they accept re-takes?

Way too late to drop the class.

If I do fail, can I start my post-bacc from the beginning at another school and not send the transcript with the F on it? (FWIW, I loathe my program and wish I'd done something structured. Anyway...)

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing an informal post-bacc at my state school and I'm really concerned that I'm going to fail orgo 1. I have a cumulative final in 4 days and I'm studying like crazy to salvage my chances, BUT I just want to have a worst-case scenario plan.

Can I get into dental school with an F on my post-bacc transcript? Do they accept re-takes?

If I do fail, can I start my post-bacc from the beginning at another school and not send the transcript with the F on it? (FWIW, I loathe my program and wish I'd done something structured. Anyway...)

Thanks!!

Generally anything below a C requires a retake in prereqs. But the higher the better (obviously).

My advice, don't spend so much time on this website and go study.

You can still save your grade and pass.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure you have to send in ALL transcripts.

Retake the class and have a good reason prepared for why you dun goofed.

Is it too late to take a W? Might be worth it since it won't affect your GPA and you'd have to retake it regardless

...Is there a reason you're failing this class? Make sure you take the necessary steps so as to prevent this from happening in the future.
It isn't a deal-breaker, necessarily, but do EVERYTHING you can to not fail this class.
This might be a bit direct, but are you doing an informal post-bac because your undergraduate grades were already a bit questionable? Or, on the other hand, are you just going back and trying to get in the prereqs? If it's the first, you had better be doing anything within your power to at least pass this class.

I failed orgo 2 twice and passed the third time. I got a 25 in orgo on the DAT (96.6 percentile or something) and I got accepted into Maryland, NOVA, and Midwestern-AZ. Moral of story, don't worry if you fail but don't be willing to accept failure.

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks!!
Hi Sugarmagnolia91, definitely do not get too discouraged about failing one class. I'm not saying take it easy, but just giving advice in a worst case scenario. I actually tried to get ahead my freshman year by taking orgo over the summer, ran into some personal problems, and ended up failing the class. I retook obviously and did exceptionally better. It was brought up in a few of my interviews and i had to explain what happened and how I turned it into a learning experience. It did happen my freshman year, so maybe they saw it as "hey it happened a long time ago, this student has grown since then". Just be able to explain what happened, retake the class and just keep your GPA up. I am attending dental school next fall, so it is definitely not a deal breaker! Best of luck

If you can't hack ochem you won't be able to hack dental school.

Simple fact.

Four days is PLENTY of time to study for your final. I know that being comprehensive makes the test intimidating, but if you put 40 hours into studying for the exam, you may get by with a decent grade.

For my organic chemistry 1 final (which I took last week and did well on) my steps were as follows:
1. Organize the information into categories. (What types of reaction are there? Which conditions affect the reaction?) I drew grids to organize this information in my head. On the exam I literally filled up the margins with all of these grids that I had memorized.
2. Memorize all of the key data which allows you to manipulate the reactions and conditions mentioned above. Are you expected to know pka values? Memorize them! Do you need to know what is a good nucleophile vs. a good leaving group? If your answer is yes, then memorize the trends with arrows on the periodic table and draw this from memory on the margin of your exam! Do you need to know common protic or aprotic solvents? If so, then memorize them! Do you need to know common IR or NMR features and ranges? If you do, then memorize them!
3. Work as many problems as you can and have a plan of attack. For example, I would force myself to do all of the chapter 12 problems the prof had recommended for practice, then take a break to eat. Then, I would do all of our practice workshop problems then watch something relaxing. Taking breaks is critical to allow the information you've processed to sink in, and it rewards you for achieving each goal you set for yourself. When you break up your study sessions into discrete and quantified sections with clear goals, you'll see that it's not quite as insurmountable a task as you had first believed.

Do everything you can NOT to fail first.

PS- Ignore Mike, he knows just about nothing beyond logging in and trolling threads on SDN. I shadowed a periodontist who failed orgo. When I got to talking with him about orgo his response was "I use that stuff all the time...." My skeptical response: "Really?" His answer: "No."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Four days is PLENTY of time to study for your final. I know that being comprehensive makes the test intimidating, but if you put 40 hours into studying for the exam, you may get by with a decent grade.

For my organic chemistry 1 final (which I took last week and did well on) my steps were as follows:
1. Organize the information into categories. (What types of reaction are there? Which conditions affect the reaction?) I drew grids to organize this information in my head. On the exam I literally filled up the margins with all of these grids that I had memorized.
2. Memorize all of the key data which allows you to manipulate the reactions and conditions mentioned above. Are you expected to know pka values? Memorize them! Do you need to know what is a good nucleophile vs. a good leaving group? If you answer is yes, then memorize the trends with arrows on the periodic table and draw this from memory on the margin of your exam! Do you need to know common protic or aprotic solvents? If so, then emorize them! Do you need to know common IR or NMR features and ranges? If you do, then memorize them!
3. Work as many problems as you can and have a plan of attack. For example, I would force myself to do all of the chapter 12 problems the prof had recommended for practice, then take a break to eat. Then, I would do all of our practice workshop problems then watch something relaxing. Taking breaks is critical to allow the information you've processed to sink in, and it rewards you for achieving each goal you set for yourself. When you break up your study sessions into discrete and quantified sections with clear goals, you'll see that it's not quite as insurmountable a task as you had first believed.

Do everything you can NOT to fail first.

PS- Ignore Mike, he knows just about nothing beyond logging in and trolling threads on SDN. I shadowed a periodontist who failed orgo. When I got to talking with him about orgo his response was "I use that stuff all the time...." My skeptical response: "Really?" His answer: "No."

You sought the opinion of a hygienist on steroids….good for you. Will orgo help you with in the sim lab? No…but neither will 90% of the stuff you learn in the first two years of dental school. If you can't get past orgo you will get eaten alive in the basic sciences.

Sorry you don't want to hear that…..

I failed orgo 2 twice and passed the third time. I got a 25 in orgo on the DAT (96.6 percentile or something) and I got accepted into Maryland, NOVA, and Midwestern-AZ. Moral of story, don't worry if you fail but don't be willing to accept failure.

It looks like it repeating a course 3 times does pay dividends.

It looks like it repeating a course 3 times does pay dividends.
Actually it didn't help cuz if I learned anything the first few times I wouldn't have retaken it lol I would have gotten a C or something and left it at that. The fact I failed means I didn't know squat. It felt like I was in Chinese class with all the weird vocab. Only reason I did well was cuz I was super motivated (read: super pissed off). Plus my predental advisor told me I wouldn't make it into dental school and to change careers. Needless to say, I sent her copies of my acceptance letters once I got them. Also mentioned not to ever tell another student they can't make it regardless of how many classes they failed (I failed 4 total).

Reactions: 4 users