What if I hold 2 schools until Friday.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellen Robb

DocMom
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dean of one school told me not to make a decision until Friday...there may be matching money to what was offered by the other school...won't I have problems if I don't make a formal decision by tomorrow? He wants me to wait until the 18th

Members don't see this ad.

Call the schools and ask for an extension.

Feel shoudl feel lucky, neither of my schools are giving out financial aid packets till June, nice to know your money situation when making this decision.

The dean of one school told me not to make a decision until Friday...there may be matching money to what was offered by the other school...won't I have problems if I don't make a formal decision by tomorrow? He wants me to wait until the 18th

It will not be a problem as long as both schools are aware of the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta say be careful. The schools MAY drop you if you hold more than one acceptance post 5/15. I have never heard of a school giving an extension. There is a hard and firm deadline so that schools can start filling themselves off the waitlist if need be.

harvard website says a legit reason to not have withdrawn is that you haven't heard financial info yet.. i haven't heard any from any schools... i wonder if that's legit. don't want to risk it though..

I gotta say be careful. The schools MAY drop you if you hold more than one acceptance post 5/15. I have never heard of a school giving an extension. There is a hard and firm deadline so that schools can start filling themselves off the waitlist if need be.

I have.

I'm not myself, but many schools are more flexible with the deadline if you are up front. They put a lot of thought, time, money, and energy into selecting you as a condidate for their class, so most schools won't boot you at the drop of a hat, or without a phone call at least. Just make sure they are both in the loop and aware of the situation, and (obviously) okay with it.

I have.

I'm not myself, but many schools are more flexible with the deadline if you are up front. They put a lot of thought, time, money, and energy into selecting you as a condidate for their class, so most schools won't boot you at the drop of a hat, or without a phone call at least. Just make sure they are both in the loop and aware of the situation, and (obviously) okay with it.

I got an extension last year (I deferred a year)--I started asking about 1-2 weeks before May 15, and kept both schools updated about the situation every couple of days. I was also told by a different school that extensions were possible if you hadn't received financial aid info yet, as long as you kept both schools informed.

I gotta say be careful. The schools MAY drop you if you hold more than one acceptance post 5/15. I have never heard of a school giving an extension.

You can get an extension if you ask for it and you have a good reason. And many of them won't drop you without sending you a warning either by email or phone call.

What would be considered good reasons for deferring for a year?
Just curious, as I can't think of too many reasons. Most everyone is facing the same situations when applying.

I stand corrected.

What would be considered good reasons for deferring for a year?
Just curious, as I can't think of too many reasons. Most everyone is facing the same situations when applying.

Travel
Money
Job opportunities
Family emergencies
Getting married
Having a kid
Not ready for med school
Need to give your brain a break
Teach for America
Peace Corps
MPH
MBA
Masters in something random

a lot of schools let you defer without much question. any reason you want really.