SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What if I hold 2 schools until Friday.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Ellen Robb, May 14, 2007.

  1. Ellen Robb

    Ellen Robb DocMom 5+ Year Member

    23
    0
    Oct 8, 2006
    NJ
    The dean of one school told me not to make a decision until Friday...there may be matching money to what was offered by the other school...won't I have problems if I don't make a formal decision by tomorrow? He wants me to wait until the 18th
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. eternalrage

    eternalrage Even Kal has bad days... 10+ Year Member

    3,653
    9
    Jun 22, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Call the schools and ask for an extension.

    Feel shoudl feel lucky, neither of my schools are giving out financial aid packets till June, nice to know your money situation when making this decision.
     
  4. Bubblehead-to-MD

    Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow! 5+ Year Member

    2,034
    0
    Jan 10, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    It will not be a problem as long as both schools are aware of the situation.
     
  5. Bubblehead-to-MD

    Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow! 5+ Year Member

    2,034
    0
    Jan 10, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
  6. Flopotomist

    Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS 7+ Year Member

    3,218
    13
    May 22, 2005
    I gotta say be careful. The schools MAY drop you if you hold more than one acceptance post 5/15. I have never heard of a school giving an extension. There is a hard and firm deadline so that schools can start filling themselves off the waitlist if need be.
     
  7. yabbadabbadoo

    yabbadabbadoo Member 2+ Year Member

    92
    0
    Apr 4, 2006
    harvard website says a legit reason to not have withdrawn is that you haven't heard financial info yet.. i haven't heard any from any schools... i wonder if that's legit. don't want to risk it though..
     
  8. HumbleMD

    HumbleMD hmmmm... 7+ Year Member

    2,575
    27
    Sep 22, 2006
    East Coast
    I have.

    I'm not myself, but many schools are more flexible with the deadline if you are up front. They put a lot of thought, time, money, and energy into selecting you as a condidate for their class, so most schools won't boot you at the drop of a hat, or without a phone call at least. Just make sure they are both in the loop and aware of the situation, and (obviously) okay with it.
     
  9. pomdemonium

    pomdemonium sleep? what's that? 2+ Year Member

    72
    0
    Nov 22, 2006
    I got an extension last year (I deferred a year)--I started asking about 1-2 weeks before May 15, and kept both schools updated about the situation every couple of days. I was also told by a different school that extensions were possible if you hadn't received financial aid info yet, as long as you kept both schools informed.
     
  10. GuzzyRon

    GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man 10+ Year Member

    You can get an extension if you ask for it and you have a good reason. And many of them won't drop you without sending you a warning either by email or phone call.
     
  11. AuntBee

    AuntBee

    9
    0
    Apr 7, 2007
    What would be considered good reasons for deferring for a year?
    Just curious, as I can't think of too many reasons. Most everyone is facing the same situations when applying.
     
  12. Flopotomist

    Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS 7+ Year Member

    3,218
    13
    May 22, 2005
    I stand corrected.
     
  13. bbabul01

    bbabul01 5+ Year Member

    412
    0
    Aug 5, 2006
    Boston
    Travel
    Money
    Job opportunities
    Family emergencies
    Getting married
    Having a kid
    Not ready for med school
    Need to give your brain a break
    Teach for America
    Peace Corps
    MPH
    MBA
    Masters in something random

    a lot of schools let you defer without much question. any reason you want really.
     

Share This Page