What if I send a LOE that has not yet been received to a med school and the writer doesn't send it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howTOLOE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to decide whether or not to send a particular research letter to a medschool. I have created the letter profile in AMCAS, but want to know what will happen if I choose to send it to a medschool and the writer doesn't send it or sends it VERY LATE. Do medical schools look at the letters before sending secondaries? Will they not even touch my app until they receive all the portions (and if so, does that mean if it comes in August they will only see the application then?). If he never sends it, will my app juts never be read? The writer is a PI who is very busy and disorganized, a deadly combo. He agreed to writing the letter, but I fear that it will take at least a month as he is on vacation for 2 weeks and then will probably need some time to write it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
but do schools give secondaries without all of the letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can choose the option "letter no longer being received/sent" after you have submitted your primary application. Most schools will let you complete secondaries (based on your stats or some allow every applicant to submit a secondary), then they will review your secondary after they get your letters.