What if my AP score allowed me to place out of two classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 5 on AP Bio so I placed out of both Bio 1 and Bio 2 (1st year bio). I noticed that if your University puts a course number for the AP class that you place out of you are supposed to put it in the the "course number" section. In my case, I placed out of two separate courses. How do I notate that?

Members don't see this ad.

The AMCAS manual is pretty explicit in its instructions on how to enter AP courses. Does your transcript list credit for courses you placed out of?

The AMCAS manual is pretty explicit in its instructions on how to enter AP courses. Does your transcript list credit for courses you placed out of?

Thanks for the response. I watched the video and read what they said and I still don't know what to do in this particular situation.

I got 8 credits for AP bio since I placed out of (2) 4 credit classes (bio 1 and bio 2 each with a lab). Bio 1 and Bio 2 at my undergraduate institution are TWO SEPARATE courses and therefore have two separate course numbers. Should I enter this as one course that is worth 8 credits and put the two course numbers in the format X / Y or should I enter the AP class as two separate courses each worth 4 credits?

Members don't see this ad :)
General rule is to enter it on AMCAS pretty much exactly how it is listed on your transcript, with the exception that the description should start with "AP Credit:"

It will be fine as long as the schools you apply to accept AP credit for pre-req's.

Thank you very much for this response. I also do not think it will be a problem since I majored and mastered in Biology so I have plenty of Biology credits.

The specific question however is in regards to how I should enter this specific scenario into my AMCAS application since the 1 AP class placed me out of 2 separate classes. Would you happen to know how I should enter it in this case?

Thank you very much for this response. I also do not think it will be a problem since I majored and mastered in Biology so I have plenty of Biology credits.
Schools that do not accept AP credit often take this requirement literally despite your subsequent success in higher order classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools that do not accept AP credit often take this requirement literally despite your subsequent success in higher order classes.

Schools would weed me out because I don't have undergrad bio 1 and 2 even though I majored in biology and have a graduate degree in biology?

I think for the most part schools require a number of credits in biology courses, as opposed to bio 1/2 specifically. Not sure about all schools though. If in doubt contact them directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to know which schools specifically or a few schools that would do this?
If they state on their website that they do not accept AP credit, you should ask that school if your application would be disregarded.

Literally put it exactly as it is on your transcript and let the verifier sort it out :cool:

Luckily those are few odd state schools (except for UCLA i think). Still worth consulting them about their policies

I just looked up all my schools and this doesn't seem to be a problem for most of them. Just need to inquire further about a few.

Thanks for all the help.

Schools would weed me out because I don't have undergrad bio 1 and 2 even though I majored in biology and have a graduate degree in biology?
Yes - but you might be able to talk to a dean. They told me to take gen chem 1 and 2 despite that I taught gen chem at a CC. I asked them if they really wanted me to take my own class - admission lady said yes, but I talked to someone higher and they waived it.

Yes - but you might be able to talk to a dean. They told me to take gen chem 1 and 2 despite that I taught gen chem at a CC. I asked them if they really wanted me to take my own class - admission lady said yes, but I talked to someone higher and they waived it.

Yeah i never understood the absolute need for intro courses when the upper level courses and good MCAT suffice

Yeah i never understood the absolute need for intro courses when the upper level courses and good MCAT suffice

I called my "top 5" schools and it is NOT a problem with any of them. It is kind of crazy to think that having multiple years of upper level biology, a graduate degree in biology, and good MCAT bio score would suffice. If a school still required it, it would be a waste of my time in that I wouldn't utilizing my time productively by taking bio 1 and bio 2.

That being said, I think some schools may take a hard line with it because they have so many applicants that they need to have some way of initial screening, not that I agree with it.

edit: thanks for all your help!

Ohh, those Californian schools with their AP policies.