What if my med school doesn't have research opportunity within my desired specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Increasingly, I keep hearing that for top tier residency programs in competitive specialties look for way more than super high Step 1 scores, away rotations, honoring all rotations, AOA, and specialty-specific LORs. So having lots of research with 1st/2nd author publications within the field is one way of distinguishing yourself, from what I hear. But what if my med school doesn't have research opportunities within that field? And no other med schools are conveniently nearby where I could go alternatively. Summer between M1 and M2 I can work at a different med school, but that would only be 10 weeks; can't give up summer b/w M2 and M3 for dedicated Step 1 studying; and break b/w M3 and M4 is only a couple of weeks. Also, I would really like to avoid taking an extra year for the research.

Members don't see this ad.

There's overlap in pretty much every field. If it's rad-onc, there's overlap with rads, path, any surgical field, med-onc. If it's derm, there's overlap with primary care, ER, medicine, path. And basic science overlaps with all.

There's overlap in pretty much every field. If it's rad-onc, there's overlap with rads, path, any surgical field, med-onc. If it's derm, there's overlap with primary care, ER, medicine, path. And basic science overlaps with all.

Wait so say a lab on the molecular mechanisms behind the development of bone or cartilage or muscle would count as relevant to orthopedic surgery? In other words, OS-relevant research need not be based on surgical procedures, and publications in the molecular physiology of musculoskeletal system would count just as well?

Also, you said research in competitive specialties like derm or rad-onc would count for other specialties; but would research in other specialties count for those competitive specialties? So would purely radiology research that has nothing to do with cancer work for rad-onc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait so say a lab on the molecular mechanisms behind the development of bone or cartilage or muscle would count as relevant to orthopedic surgery? In other words, OS-relevant research need not be based on surgical procedures, and publications in the molecular physiology of musculoskeletal system would count just as well?

Also, you said research in competitive specialties like derm or rad-onc would count for other specialties; but would research in other specialties count for those competitive specialties? So would purely radiology research that has nothing to do with cancer work for rad-onc?

You're thinking of everything as black or white. There are very few fields that "require" research specific to the field in order to interview/match, but this is highly exaggerated on the forums IMO. Some amount of research is desirable (i.e. you'll stand out if you have 0 experiences on your app), but it rarely makes or breaks you, all else being equal, with the caveat that there are a number of programs in most fields that might expect more quantity + quality of field-specific research involvement in competitive applicants.

To your first paragraph - Correct. The example you gave is basic science research. Both basic science & clinic research can apply.

To your second paragraph - That's not what I meant. I said the field of radiation oncology has overlap with radiology, pathology, surgical fields & medical oncology. So if you don't have a rad-onc department with research opportunities at your home institution, you can talk to any of those other fields, explain your interests & ask to get involved with any ongoing projects that would be relevant to rad-onc.

PM if you have any more questions; it'd be easier to give you specific answers if I knew which field you're talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
Increasingly, I keep hearing that for top tier residency programs in competitive specialties look for way more than super high Step 1 scores, away rotations, honoring all rotations, AOA, and specialty-specific LORs. So having lots of research with 1st/2nd author publications within the field is one way of distinguishing yourself, from what I hear. But what if my med school doesn't have research opportunities within that field? And no other med schools are conveniently nearby where I could go alternatively. Summer between M1 and M2 I can work at a different med school, but that would only be 10 weeks; can't give up summer b/w M2 and M3 for dedicated Step 1 studying; and break b/w M3 and M4 is only a couple of weeks. Also, I would really like to avoid taking an extra year for the research.

You know why? It's because everyone has those things in spades

You know why? It's because everyone has those things in spades

I'm not really complaining about that fact, if that's what you're implying. I care most about what I can do; that's why the point of my post was to primarily understand what it means for research to be relevant to a specialty and see what I can do in case of limited opportunities.

Research is important, not so you can check a box, but what research experience implies. Can you develop a scientific/clinical question? Can you evaluate that question appropriately? Can you speak intelligently about your results?

Research in your field of interest is helpful primarily because of the connections you develop.