What if OPT is not granted in-time to start residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jh09290

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am Canadian citizen attending American Medical School. I have not yet applied for OPT.
But I heard that OPT can take longer than the 90days that it says on the website. Have you heard of people not receiving the OPT in-time? If so, when did they apply that they were delayed?

What happens if I do not receive the OPT in time to start residency program for orientation in June? Will the program let me start a bit later or will they 'nullify' my contract?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I have been browsing through these forums to try and find some information on the visa requirements for Canadian citizen AMGs applying to U.S. residencies.

I have two major questions regarding the OPT-H1b route for Canadian citizens:

1. What is the timeline like for a 4th year U.S. medical student who is looking to go through the OPT-H1-b route as a Canadian citizen? Is it: apply to residency > interview > match > apply for OPT > do intern year on OPT while applying for H1b > start PGY-2 on your H1b the following year?

2. I'm also a bit unclear on what exactly an intern year is. Is intern year (on OPT) completed at your residency program? Or is it completed at the medical school from which you graduated?

As you can tell, I am very confused haha. Would really appreciate any insight you have on these q's!! :)