What if pharmacists are being paid $35/hr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't diss Chinatown, that's where I got my Rolex watch from :laugh:

because it is Chinatown, ny... lol.

I don't even know how the pharmacies stay open in Chinatown. There's at least 1 pharmacy on every block and they just keep opening, but they never seem to close down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we need to stand firm, regarding how much we believe we will be worth once finishing school. The more low ball offers we accept, the more we drive the market down. Similar to the housing market, the less your neighbors sell their houses for around your neighborhood, the less your house will be worth. Have some balls and ask for more than you feel you're worth, within reason of course, and leave little room for negotiation. (please excuse my language) Just remember that the company you're applying for has shareholders that want maximum profit. Therefore, the company's goal continues to be maximizing revenue while minimizing cost, so try not to get hustled! Agree or disagree, those are my two pennies. :cool:

I graduated from pharmacy school in 1980. My first Pharmacist job was with Revco and my salary was $400 per week or $20,800 per year. We generally worked a 42 hour week so less than $10 per hour.

Of course back then 100 scripts in a day was a big day. Our third party percentage was only about 5%. Most people just paid for their meds and got reimbursed by the insurance company at the end of the year when they mailed in their receipts.

That kind of concerns me a little bit. With the shortage drawing to an end, it seems that a market correction could return salaries to their previous levels. I suppose we should brace for this?

That kind of concerns me a little bit. With the shortage drawing to an end, it seems that a market correction could return salaries to their previous levels. I suppose we should brace for this?

Brace??! :laugh: just get on with your life dude , take whatever pay is when you graduate, and life the rest of your life in a great career. i thought you were done with this. its hilarious how it keeps showing up in different threads though

Well, crap, I suppose now's the time to go to truck driving school...

You've used that in other threads. Are you sure truck driving school isn't really where you'd rather be? :p

You've used that in other threads. Are you sure truck driving school isn't really where you'd rather be? :p

if this is the case with people who repeat "pharmacy school alternatives" in threads, then i have a fear that Z has an unhealthy obsession with HVAC.

NaOH started it!

And no, if I was going to do something other than pharmacy, it'd be going to Le Cordon Bleu in San Francisco and then going to Europe to train in French and Italian restaurants. :p

NaOH started it!

And no, if I was going to do something other than pharmacy, it'd be going to Le Cordon Bleu in San Francisco and then going to Europe to train in French and Italian restaurants. :p

Nice. :thumbup:

if this is the case with people who repeat "pharmacy school alternatives" in threads, then i have a fear that Z has an unhealthy obsession with HVAC.

HVAC is a very hireable job, but it is very demanding physically as with a lot of the skilled trades, but you can be trained to work in 6 months.

Locksmithing and bartending were always my backups.

Members don't see this ad :)
HVAC is a very hireable job, but it is very demanding physically as with a lot of the skilled trades, but you can be trained to work in 6 months.

Locksmithing and bartending were always my backups.

I used to work in HVAC. Pretty good pay in nonunion shops. Our top guys (foreman) were making in the 40's/hr before overtime

interesting

i do IT work right now WHILE in pharmacy school and make 33.67/hour

so four years of pharm school to get a 1.33/hr raise?

not worth my 120K

:(

Y'know, I almost became an electrician. Got an electrician buddy who got into some gas/electric company and now he's rolling in money (without any student loans to worry about either).

interesting

i do IT work right now WHILE in pharmacy school and make 33.67/hour

so four years of pharm school to get a 1.33/hr raise?

not worth my 120K

:(

Then drop out immediately and go play with computers......not worth the sad face if you ask me.

Y'know, I almost became an electrician. Got an electrician buddy who got into some gas/electric company and now he's rolling in money (without any student loans to worry about either).

Go join him...what is your point?

Then drop out immediately and go play with computers......not worth the sad face if you ask me.
im just saying, IF that was the going rate for PharmD in my area....

it'd be different, too, if pharmacy school cost the same as undergrad, which it did at one point...

i hate IT, and love pharmacy.... BUT, well, nevermind... just saying

$35/hr is the salary for some government pharmacist positions (of course you get good benefits & it would be worth it if you're planning on staying until you retire). Also, I have seen that kind of salary in random parts of the East coast (ie, NJ). It's definitely not the norm, though, so we can be thankful for that.

BTW, It has always amazed me that MD, NJ doesn't pay that well, even though cost of living is high.
This is because places with higher costs of living are generally also places where there is a larger supply of pharmacists.

Same with medicine, where if you want to rake it in, you move to a small town in Wisconsin or Oklahoma. Big fish in a small pond kind of thing.