Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What if there's a BIG discrepancy between science and other gpas?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Forensic Chick, May 6, 2002.

1. Forensic Chick

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow. I just finished filling in all of my university courses and it said that my Science GPA was 2.9, and my AO GPA was 3.9 -- not good. Is the huge point discrepancy going to kill me???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

what's your total GPA?

3. Forensic Chick

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

hmmm... it could cause some problems... Are you a science major? Your overall seems to be right smack in the middle.

I think some schools will look down on it. The schools that will probably look down on it are the major research schools like Duke, Wash U, etc. But I think with middle tier schools it should be ok.

5. Forensic Chick

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was a forensic science major - which was 2 yrs chem, 1 yr bio, 1 yr physics and a bunch of criminal justice courses. I'm really not too interested in big names - but staying in Cali would be nice :)

I just knew that I can seek SDN's expert opinion on prior experiences and the whole horrifying admissions process.

Thanks!!

6. tater tot

tater tot Member
    7+ Year Member

i think a 2.9 sci gpa in any circumstance may be a concern. i would take some upper-level sciences during your application year. a couple good grades in harder classes plus the upward trend = happier adcoms and a pretty application. :D

7. HanSolo

HanSolo Member
    7+ Year Member

Forensic Chick wrote: </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm really not too interested in big names - but staying in Cali would be nice </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm...with a 2.9 science GPA, the odds are clearly not in your favor to staying in CA, but it's NOT insurmountable. You need to ace that MCAT, with strong scores in the PS and BS sections (~11+) to compensate, and lots of ECs. I suggest you to apply to SLU, VCU/MCV, MCPHahnneman, Creighton(?)...they seem more forgiving about "hiccups" in your appl. Just my personal exp., some might have diff. takes. Good luck!

8. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Forensic Chick,

I have a similar problem with my application. I was an engineering major, and my engineering classes all count under AO. However, all 21 credits of calculus that I took (mostly C's) count in BMCP. So, I have a big discrepancy between the two. I also have 32 credits of post-bacc BMCP A's.

I wish I could tell you whether it's bad or not. I can tell you that I applied last year (with a pretty high MCAT) and haven't gotten in yet. None of the schools asked about the discrepancy though. I only applied to three schools (one AMCAS) so it's hard to say what is based on my grades, my situation, or my limited choices.

So, no answers, but lots of sympathy! I agree with tater tot that it can't hurt to take some post-bacc classes during this cycle. Then if you don't get in this year, it will slightly improve your BMCP for next year - and it will look good too.