What if...waitlist didn't work out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznwangsta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical question, I'm NOT saying this will happen to any of us. If you had an acceptance to an 'okay' school, meaning not within your top 4 choices, and didn't get into your waitlist(s), would you go through this whole process again the next year? Just to get into a top choice?

I'm thinking I would just take my acceptance and become a doctor...this whole process blows so much I wouldn't want to go through it again.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
r u crazy!!! Of course I would not go through the whole amcas / med school apps again if I got in anywhere...even if it weren't my top 4...

I would say to go to where you've been accepted, because I believe that education is also part of what the student makes of it. Just kick ass in all your classes, take as much opportunity to network and expose yourself to different clinical experiences, and utilize your time as best you can. The first two years of any medical school are the same - anatomy, pathology, etc., - and you could always do other things during vacation time after first year. Would you honestly want to go through the whole process again with the possibility of still not getting into your top choices as well as the possibility of not getting into that okay school as well? You got in for a reason and who knows, that school could be the place where you meet some of the most awesome people and friends and mentors of your life and have the best time of your life learning the art of medicine. BUT, if you honestly want a top choice, then maybe you should reapply. All will work out the way it's suppose to and I believe that those who truly want to be a doctor and have taken the steps to become one, will be a doctor because it's about caring for people moreso than prestige.
Good luck to you:)

I think you need to decide whether you are willing to risk not going to medical school at all to try to get into a better school. If you know deep down that you wouldn't feel happy or confident in your professional abilities with a degree from the school you are accepted to then you shouldn't go. I do know a handful of people that have turned down acceptances to medical school because they weren't happy with the schools they were accepted to...I know that for them it was an extremely difficult decision so I wish you the best of luck.

When I got my first acceptance (to my ?backup? school), I was elated? It meant I was going to be a doctor no matter what. It?s amazing that after being accepted to a few higher ranked schools, the excitement of becoming a physician gives way to the arrogance of wanting to get into a better school so much that the notion of risking everything by declining all acceptances in favor of trying again next year is even conceivable? Bizarre really!

I seriously don't think you should apply to a school in the first place if you would turn down its offer of acceptance to go through another year of hell.

IMHO,
mdf

Whoa...I think people are really taking it out of context here...personally, I would NOT turn down my acceptance to do it all over again. The only reason I would do such a thing was if I were not accepted to U.S. allopathic schools.

But I do agree with DrM, after you get into your very first school, you are just so happy. Then when you have more interviews at some prestigious schools, it sorta gets to your head. To be honest, I am shocked and blessed by the number of interviews I've been to. Given that my MCAT score wasn't so hot, while everything else was fine, I was surprised how many schools overlooked that weakness and was taken enough by my strengths to invite me.

I've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter where I go to med school. I am just ecstatic to be a doctor, and a whole new world is blessed upon me.
But it would be untruthful to say that I'm not hoping for a place I feel would make suit me better personally, in terms of location, and where my church has a branch. Everything is icing on the cake from here on out. ;)

ill give a digit from my left hand for an acceptance to any allopathic school.. so no i wouldnt try again to go to a top choice school