What if you do not know the meaning of the word in the essay promp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSaiyan3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
" Stability in society can lead to stagnation."

This is an essay prompt straight out of the AAMC website. The thing is, I do not know what "stagnation" means. At the moment, I do have the choice to look up the word. I doubt that on test day, the proctors will let me look it up on a dictionary.

My question is:
- did you ever see a word on the essay prompt that you did not know? Can you recall what they were?

- any tips on what you should do if you DO see a word you DO NOT know? This could be a big risk on your essay... for obvious reasons.

Thanks.
SS3 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

i know what you mean man. sometimes they throw in words that just arent used in pokemon or dragon ball. sometimes i get so upset. like wtf goku, why do you have the vocabulary of a 10 year old?!

:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't know what to say. You can always infer from a passage but a writing prompt is usually just a statement without much context. Plus, stagnation is a pretty common word (didn't you also misuse magnanimous in another thread?).

But I think there might be something you can try. Look through LoveWalk's previous post's and I believe he recommended a book if your vocabulary wasn't that great. He might have posted it in the 30+ thread so I would check there first and then just look through his previous posts if its not there.

Hope this helped,

-LIS

Ah yes, the SAT big work book. I accrued bounteous dividends from the perusal of that composition.

Zing!

Take a guess. Then, make it explicit what your understanding of the prompt is when you complete the first task of explaining the prompt. then you work off this. I beleive if your essay meets the three tasks and is good overall it wouldn't matter that you didn't interpret the prompt as the majority of people. That's just my thoughts and i can't back it up with facts just so you know

gluck

A different interpretation is fine. Not knowing the meaning period is a problem. To me those are two very different things. From what I read, I think the OP falls in the latter category. So for example, if you responded saying stability is required for growth as your explanation of it then that isn't a different interpretation but rather a mis-interpretation. But I do agree, if you really are blank and don't know then just take a stab at it with what you think it might be. Not much else you can do.

-LIS

i know what you mean man. sometimes they throw in words that just arent used in pokemon or dragon ball. sometimes i get so upset. like wtf goku, why do you have the vocabulary of a 10 year old?!

Funniest, sarcastic remark, ever.

:lol:

----

To the OP:

I totally understand what you mean. Sometimes, I fear the same thing, since my vocab is about as good as Apu's ... haha.. jokes aside.. here's my suggestion. You can often find the meaning of the word from the context. For example, Stability in society CAN lead to stagnation. You can infer from the context that stagnation is in a negative connotation, because of the word CAN. Had it been Stability in society leads to ... (unfamiliar word).. you can assume that the word would be positive.

Hope it helps

this guy just made fun of my username AND my display picture AND my entire culture in one go.

Well i looked through the AAMC prompts (LIKE EVERY SINGLE ONE) and the only words I didn't understand were:

- stagnation: I thought this word meant a type of horse (stag)
- deadlock: dead lock? the lock died? A broken lock? Huh???
- deliberation: un-freedom?
- nonconformity: a no so comfortable broken Laz-boy chair
- inaction: they used this word in DBZ Return of Brolli. I think it meant idleness or jerkin around

For your comic pleasure,

You're doomed. Seriously, there's no way we can help you with this. You can look through an SAT big-words book, but honestly, I don't know what to tell you.

Ah.. so I guess I need to master that language of English before writing this test eh... so what else to add onto my plate before becoming a doctor... proper arithmetic without a calculator?

:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
this guy just made fun of my username AND my display picture AND my entire culture in one go.

Well i looked through the AAMC prompts (LIKE EVERY SINGLE ONE) and the only words I didn't understand were:

- inaction: they used this word in DBZ Return of Brolli. I think it meant idleness or jerkin around

For your comic pleasure,

I'm not one to make fun b/c that's just wrong -- but in regards to the above words, *please* tell me you are being sarcastic - esp. with your 'guess' at what they mean.

Is English your first language?

If this problem does come up, then all you can really do is take a stab at it and make sure the essay, though perhaps wrong about it's meaning, shows examples, is clear & concise, and flows smoothly from start to finish. This way if a computer (or person) is reading it, you can only get so low.

Is English your first language?
OH MY GOD. I was writing book summaries for an Honors class, 300-level literature study on epic novels.

I kid you not, at the top of my paper, which was covered ENTIRELY in red ink, was a question that said "IS ENGLISH YOUR SECOND LANGUAGE?" as the most likely explanation for the "poor" work... I've been using English since I was 2 v.v

Ah, that sucks. That would be a big hit to the gut I'd imagine. I didn't mean that in the way that it might have came off, but more to the fact that the OP seems to think that a deadlock is a lock that is broken or one that died >.< or that nonconformity is a 'not so comfortable lazy-boy chair.' Just trying to get an idea of where he is coming from.

For your comic pleasure,

Very funny :laugh: Actually, a stag is a deer, so stag-nation would be a country full of deer.

" Stability in society can lead to stagnation. Describe what you think this sentence means. Describe a specific example where stability in society does not lead to stagnation."

Stability in society can lead to a stagnation. This sentence implies that, when a country has no socioeconomical and political issues, hunting is less likely to occur. As such, overpopulation of the deer population is likely to occur. One common example of a stable society with stagnation is the United States. As a result of the Disney movie, Bambi, hunting became unpopular and as a result, fewer deer are killed. This is favorable since hunting is dangerous, resulting in shooting accidents and lead poisoning from deer venison. However, stagnation is not always a good thing. Too many deer causes crop failure in such states as Maryland, and deer serve to overpopulate to the point that they spill into residential communities and other infrastructure. As a result, people are more likely to be injured in car accidents resulting from deer-related incidents such as deer strikes and rubber-necking. Such incidents portray deer as evil, and may cause an unrecoverable deer hunting event. As a result, the only deer that may remain would be heavily endangered and residing in protected areas such as the National Institues of Standards and Technology in Maryland, where deer graze peacefully behind a military-style barbed wire fence.

Stability does not always lead to stagnation in society. In countries without deer, countries cannot develop into stagnation, as there is no prerequisite for stagnation. Countries where deer are predated on, such as by humans in the United States and lions in Kenya, do not stagnate effectively.

Stagnation should only be determined SOLELY on other factors in the country. Requirements for stagnation are a lack of predators and a pre-existing population of deer. Such countries include Canada, which is unpopulated, and Australia, where introduced deer would probably eat kangaroos.

-------

MCAT Score - 5 - Fulfills all three tasks; major ideas are well developed; shows clarity of thought, with some depth or complexity; demonstrates strong control of vocabulary and sentence structure.

This post was written for PARODY purposes only. The author actually LOVES Canada and has visited it many times.

" Stability in society can lead to stagnation. Describe what you think this sentence means. Describe a specific example where stability in society does not lead to stagnation."

Stability in society can lead to a stagnation. This sentence implies that, when a country has no socioeconomical and political issues, hunting is less likely to occur. As such, overpopulation of the deer population is likely to occur. One common example of a stable society with stagnation is the United States. As a result of the Disney movie, Bambi, hunting became unpopular and as a result, fewer deer are killed. This is favorable since hunting is dangerous, resulting in shooting accidents and lead poisoning from deer venison. However, stagnation is not always a good thing. Too many deer causes crop failure in such states as Maryland, and deer serve to overpopulate to the point that they spill into residential communities and other infrastructure. As a result, people are more likely to be injured in car accidents resulting from deer-related incidents such as deer strikes and rubber-necking. Such incidents portray deer as evil, and may cause an unrecoverable deer hunting event. As a result, the only deer that may remain would be heavily endangered and residing in protected areas such as the National Institues of Standards and Technology in Maryland, where deer graze peacefully behind a military-style barbed wire fence.

Stability does not always lead to stagnation in society. In countries without deer, countries cannot develop into stagnation, as there is no prerequisite for stagnation. Countries where deer are predated on, such as by humans in the United States and lions in Kenya, do not stagnate effectively.

Stagnation should only be determined SOLELY on other factors in the country. Requirements for stagnation are a lack of predators and a pre-existing population of deer. Such countries include Canada, which is unpopulated, and Australia, where introduced deer would probably eat kangaroos.

-------

MCAT Score - 5 - Fulfills all three tasks; major ideas are well developed; shows clarity of thought, with some depth or complexity; demonstrates strong control of vocabulary and sentence structure.

This post was written for PARODY purposes only. The author actually LOVES Canada and has visited it many times.

My GOD.

Imagine if that is what I actually wrote on that essay prompt for the real MCAT because I guessed that stagnation meant a "nation of deer."

The reader would simply "lol" in reality and probably stamp me with a zero (can a zero be even given or is 1 the lowest you can go?).

I've read in Kaplan that even if you complete all 3 tasks, but write about a completely off-topic subject, you're not gonna see good marks.

This was a great essay though. I can't believe you went through all that trouble to argue about deer proliferation. I learned so much about Maryland deer in one go than I ever imagined. Good work.

Very funny :laugh: Actually, a stag is a deer, so stag-nation would be a country full of deer.

a stag is a deer?! Great.. now I fail at animal terminology. They'll probably take off a point in my BS score for that too.

Wasn't in Harry Potter, his "Expecto Petronum" shape was a stag??? Isn't that what his dad animal-transformed (like Optimus Prime) into? Who the hell transforms into a DEER? I thought it was some sort of a magnificent horse all this time!

Now even my enjoyment of fictional books is ruined... :(

Ah, that sucks. That would be a big hit to the gut I'd imagine. I didn't mean that in the way that it might have came off, but more to the fact that the OP seems to think that a deadlock is a lock that is broken or one that died >.< or that nonconformity is a 'not so comfortable lazy-boy chair.' Just trying to get an idea of where he is coming from.

I was kidding. Relax chump.

Note that I said "for your comic pleasure?"

My GOD.

Imagine if that is what I actually wrote on that essay prompt for the real MCAT because I guessed that stagnation meant a "nation of deer."

The reader would simply "lol" in reality and probably stamp me with a zero (can a zero be even given or is 1 the lowest you can go?).

I've read in Kaplan that even if you complete all 3 tasks, but write about a completely off-topic subject, you're not gonna see good marks.

This was a great essay though. I can't believe you went through all that trouble to argue about deer proliferation. I learned so much about Maryland deer in one go than I ever imagined. Good work.

Only the NIST thing is true. I'm not sure about crop failure, but I assume deer enjoy eating our apples.

-------

:laugh:
I can imagine the grader having a heart-attack after reading this essay, but I'm sure they've seen crazier stuff.

For your comic pleasure,
How did he make fun of your culture?

Anyway, if English isn't your primary language, breaking the words down is fine a good path, but you're breaking them down wrong.

Stagnation stems from 'stagnate', to not move or progress.
Deadlock, an idiom for dead-in-a-lock; stuck, no progress
Deliberation from deliberate, which means to discuss and debate until resolution - "de" meaning "of" or "from" in latin languages, "liberate" "free", being able to discuss freely
nonconformity: to not conform, to not have unity
in-action: not acting

If the writing score means that much to you, and you dont know a main word in the prompt then I would consider voiding.

a stag is a deer?! Great.. now I fail at animal terminology. They'll probably take off a point in my BS score for that too.

Wasn't in Harry Potter, his "Expecto Petronum" shape was a stag??? Isn't that what his dad animal-transformed (like Optimus Prime) into? Who the hell transforms into a DEER? I thought it was some sort of a magnificent horse all this time!

Now even my enjoyment of fictional books is ruined... :(

Wow.... just wow. OP, in all seriousness, can you elaborate (sorry, big word) on your age range and whether or not English really is your first or second (or fifth) language? Being Canadian you could be French Canadian and that would explain the second language thing but seriously, these words you are confused on are about 6th or 7th grade level (really probably about 4th or 5th, just giving a few for safety) and there has to be an explanation for this. And to answer your other question that was posed I'm hoping in jest... yes, you will need to learn math without a calculator. While you don't need to "master" English you must be completely competent and functional and your lack of vocabulary indicates that you may not be. I know it probably seems like I'm picking on you but these are honest questions that if there is no logical explanation for it other than "I was kidding. Relax chump." and "it's your culture too BRUCE LEE" or other defensive reactions rather than dealing with the issue at hand then one has to wonder if you are ready for this. I don't mean to discourage you, but are you sure you are cut out for medical school? Not saying the desire is not there, but are you truly capable of succeeding in medical school? Have you even thought about this aspect or just looked at that it's something that you want?

... I don't mean to discourage you, but are you sure you are cut out for medical school? Not saying the desire is not there, but are you truly capable of succeeding in medical school? Have you even thought about this aspect or just looked at that it's something that you want?

Nevermind... just found the answer I was wondering about in another thread...

SuperSaiyan3 said:
I never wanted to go to the states. I live in friggin Canada. My dad is Asian and he's always in a hypercompetition with his friends to see whose kids can get into a better school. Frankly, I never cared and never studied or tried on those tests. He wouldn't let me NOT write the test (biggest waste of money ever. he made me take that godforsaken 1000$ SAT prep course and paid to make me take the SAT THREE TIMES), so I just went and guessed like crazy on all of the sections, purposely trying to get a low mark so I wouldn't have to go to the states.

I don't even come from a rich family. My parents run a convenience store. This just goes to show how much pressure asian children are in by their 1st generation parents who think getting into the right schools will help them achieve their goals in life. My dad want me to have no fun and no social life till I finished school and secured a good job in life. By which time, I would most likely be in my late 30s and my penis would most likely be flaccid. No thank you. NO BLOODY THANKS.

I'm telling you my life story because I'm trying to cheer you up by comparing your abysmal scores to my crappy childhood. At least you had a choice to take the test. At least you chose to fail at something. I never had one.

See OP, I really don't think you understand that parents give up EVERYTHING when they come to N. America for their children. So it shouldn't be all about you because they gave up a lot more than you ever will. Nothing makes parents happier than seeing their children succeed so my advice is find something you like and work hard to succeed at it. I don't understand how some of you guys can take this as a joke when your parents are busting their butts to send you to a nice school and make sure you have opportunities and successes that they didn't. Being offered an opportunity to get a world class education is not even close to a crappy childhood. Trying to send you to a nice school isn't a competition (even though that's what it may seem like to you) but instead their way of being proud of you and feeling that something good came out of their sacrifice to move away from their family to work most likely a much worse job than they could have had. I mean do you realize that any number of bad things could happen while they are running the convenience store and they still do it just so you can be in N. America and have an amazing education.

Sorry to sound like a parent or go off topic but you have to realize that 99.99% of your life has to do with something outside of your penis and there are many many more important things in life. Also, a crappy life is not having food for a long periods of time or not having a home or enough money to even go to college and become a doctor. Hell, I've had a worse life than you and I think I've been well off. I'm curious, have you even volunteered because any type of volunteering would teach you a lot about the human condition. I hope you take a serious look in the mirror because you're not in middle school anymore and when you're in college it is time to start taking yourself and your future seriously. I really hope you get something out of this and don't just ignore it as someone who doesn't understand.

Thanks for bringing this up sbreland,

-LIS

" Stability in society can lead to stagnation."

This is an essay prompt straight out of the AAMC website. The thing is, I do not know what "stagnation" means. At the moment, I do have the choice to look up the word. I doubt that on test day, the proctors will let me look it up on a dictionary.

My question is:
- did you ever see a word on the essay prompt that you did not know? Can you recall what they were?

- any tips on what you should do if you DO see a word you DO NOT know? This could be a big risk on your essay... for obvious reasons.

Thanks.

They usually don't pick out difficult words to stomp people. Its not a vocab test, but rather a writing assessment. So don't worry too much about trying to prepare for the vocabulary that you might face in the writing prompt.

If you B.S. enough with good sentence structure, length, and punctuation, then you should be able to get a lot of credit despite any misinterpretation.

On a sidenote, how exactly does the computer grade your essay?

It counts the number of times you mention stinkhorns and geoducks in reference to Google Images.

You're kidding, right? The reason the MCAT takes 30 days is because 2 people grade each of your essays, and their score is averaged together. If the scores differ by more than 2 points, a third grader grades it and then the 3 are averaged together. These scores are combined and averaged together to get your J-T score.

It counts the number of times you mention stinkhorns and geoducks in reference to Google Images.

You're kidding, right? The reason the MCAT takes 30 days is because 2 people grade each of your essays, and their score is averaged together. If the scores differ by more than 2 points, a third grader grades it and then the 3 are averaged together. These scores are combined and averaged together to get your J-T score.

Ok nvm, I had no idea what I was thinking.

I doubt this is the only reason for the 30 day weight. Whether or not one of the essays is graded by a computer who knows but such technology does exist:

http://www.knowledge-technologies.com/prodIEA.shtml

See OP, I really don't think you understand that parents give up EVERYTHING when they come to N. America for their children. So it shouldn't be all about you because they gave up a lot more than you ever will. Nothing makes parents happier than seeing their children succeed so my advice is find something you like and work hard to succeed at it. I don't understand how some of you guys can take this as a joke when your parents are busting their butts to send you to a nice school and make sure you have opportunities and successes that they didn't. Being offered an opportunity to get a world class education is not even close to a crappy childhood. Trying to send you to a nice school isn't a competition (even though that's what it may seem like to you) but instead their way of being proud of you and feeling that something good came out of their sacrifice to move away from their family to work most likely a much worse job than they could have had. I mean do you realize that any number of bad things could happen while they are running the convenience store and they still do it just so you can be in N. America and have an amazing education.

Sorry to sound like a parent or go off topic but you have to realize that 99.99% of your life has to do with something outside of your penis and there are many many more important things in life. Also, a crappy life is not having food for a long periods of time or not having a home or enough money to even go to college and become a doctor. Hell, I've had a worse life than you and I think I've been well off. I'm curious, have you even volunteered because any type of volunteering would teach you a lot about the human condition. I hope you take a serious look in the mirror because you're not in middle school anymore and when you're in college it is time to start taking yourself and your future seriously. I really hope you get something out of this and don't just ignore it as someone who doesn't understand.

Thanks for bringing this up sbreland,

-LIS

I didn't even read half of this stuff because you people are so bloody stupid.

1. yes I made all that up in comic humor.
2. the only thing TRUE that you quoted me on was the fact I asked a legitimate question regarding vocabulary. You don't need to be so condescending when helping people. "are you sure you want to be a doctor?" I return that question to you because apparently you can't even answer a simple question on an internet forum website without humiliating the other person. I'll have you know that there are a lot of people out there who are unfamiliar with the word "stagnation."
3. Yes, English is not my first language.
4. I have never written the SATs. I made that up to satirize the original poster.
5. this is an internet forum. I like to satirize and make a joke out of everything I do.

I'm not gonna delve further into this because arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still ******ed.

Chumps. :laugh:

2. the only thing TRUE that you quoted me on was the fact I asked a legitimate question regarding vocabulary. You don't need to be so condescending when helping people. "are you sure you want to be a doctor?" I return that question to you because apparently you can't even answer a simple question on an internet forum website without humiliating the other person. I'll have you know that there are a lot of people out there who are unfamiliar with the word "stagnation."
4. I have never written the SATs. I made that up to satirize the original poster.
5. this is an internet forum. I like to satirize and make a joke out of everything I do.

I'm not gonna delve further into this because arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still ******ed.

it's kind of cute how you call someone else stupid.

btw. english is my third language and i know what stagnation, or any other elementary word you were confused about for that matter, means.

So this seals my original assumption.... you are saying and doing this as a deliberate and malicious attempt for fun and to start trouble/controversy.... hmmm... that is the definition of trolling which is completely against the rules. Perhaps that mods would be interested in this.

To answer your question... yes, I know I want to be a doctor. I have been in the medical field for 10 yearsnow , have seen it's inner workings, seen more than you could ever imagine, held a persons hand as they died, saved more than a few FROM dying, and learned more about myself and people than you can ever imagine. I have seen doctors that are terrible (which make me want to prove they are not all like that) and I have seen doctors that are some of the best people in the world. FYI, part of being a doctor (or any level of medical care) is being able to expose the truth in what is happening and this is exactly what LostInstudy and I wrote about, not humiliating you. Now, I've answered your question about whether I want to be a doctor and I know what I want to do.... do you?

Perhaps you should tell your parents to get off your case (since I believe your above denial was in reality a lie itself and that story is really at least mostly true and you are just embarassed I quoted that) and go into a career like video gaming or comic book design... or maybe even comedy, but if you do that please get some new material because your current act is tired, boring, and not clever at all.

If you think we are all so stupid what are you doing here anyways besides stirring the pot?

Last edited:
It really doesn't even matter. I slept through the second essay section and submitted a blank. I got a K...a 36K and was still accepted into a top school.

First of all, it's not very nice to call people stupid when they're trying to help you and are going by the facts that are provided. Second of all, why did you quote me when you didn't even respond to ONE thing I pointed out or suggested. I'll respond to you list anyway because I think it would probably help you to see it from my perspective.

1.) I know you made up the list of meanings for comic humor but the original thread wasn't or didn't seem to be. If it was then I'm not really sure what the use or benefit of creating it because it wasn't really funny and I don't believe anyone found humor in it because it was like one sentence that seemed serious.

2.) I was not condescending at all, if it seemed like it then I do apologize. I was simply pointing out what your parents (or any immigrant and even some non-immigrant parents) go through when they move here. That isn't condescension, it's simple observation. I also never questioned your desire to be a doctor (that's your business), I simply asked if you had volunteered because it would teach you a lot more about the human condition through your experiences because it doesn't seem like your own experience motivates you to become successful in your craft. I did answer you question BTW, earlier on post #5. I then responded to the quote sbreland put up because I found it quite annoying that you thought your parents ruined your life. Yes, the many people who don't know what stagnation means would be people in middle school. Everyone should know what stagnation means by the time they take a high school history class.

3.) I never questioned english being your first language but there is nothing wrong with that and it isn't an excuse. I knew plenty of guys in high school who were asian and latino that had an amazing vocabulary. It's not about it being your first language but more about how much you try to develop yourself.

4.) In no part of that quote did it look like a satire at all. I don't think sbreland took it out of context because the whole post seems to be there. If that post was a satire then either my english is extremely horrible or your writing isn't great.

5.) Okay, that's fine but at least give some indication like you did in the earlier post when you said "for your comic pleasure." People unfamiliar with you will not pick up on that at all ESPECIALLY in an internet forum where sarcasm can't be shown.

Also, don't make fun of disadvantaged children (this makes me wonder even more if you've ever volunteered). God I hope you don't go into pedatrics. That is one more thing you have to be thankful for: the fact that you are able use your brain to learn things. Now, those disadvantaged children have a hard life, not you.

Hope this was of some help to you,

-LIS

Last edited:
Also, could I suggest that Mods close this because it doesn't seem like this thread is going anywhere and I don't think anyone is going to get any use out of it. I really hope this thing gets closed before it can reach two pages.

-LIS

Last edited:
Also, could I suggest that Mods close this because it doesn't seem like this thread is going anywhere and I don't think anyone is going to get any use out of it. I really hope this thing gets closed before it can reach two pages.

-LIS

I second that motion ...