What if you don't get accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lol.psych

psychiatrist (private prac)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What will you all do if you don't get accepted into any medical schools?
Will you apply to Caribbean medical schools?
Will you try to get a Master's degree?
Will you work for a year?
Will you do something completely unrelated, and not try again next year?

I've applied to three Caribbean medical schools just in case, and I've got a backup plan of becoming a doula or a midwife before I become a physician. I want to be one or both of those things in the future anyway (how awesome would an OB/GYN *and* midwife be?! That covers all of the bases of reproduction+delivery! I'd be able to deal with *any* birthing situation! I'd be unstoppable! :D)

Members don't see this ad.

I've applied to three Caribbean medical schools just in case, and I've got a backup plan of becoming a doula or a midwife before I become a physician. I want to be one or both of those things in the future anyway (how awesome would an OB/GYN *and* midwife be?! That covers all of the bases of reproduction+delivery! I'd be able to deal with *any* birthing situation! I'd be unstoppable! :D)

I will finish up my senior year and then reapply while working and strengthening my application during the off year. If I do not get in the second time around then I will pursue a PhD in a biology related field.

I can't say this thought has not entered my mind. Fortunately, it is buried under a pile of mental garbage like the words to the Mickey Mouse song. I guess I would work for a yar in some medical related field and reapply next yar. I think working on a masters would be a waste of money in my case. Arrrr.

Members don't see this ad :)

2rgzxfn.gif

Not sure, but it will definitly include a few pointed critiques of the admissions process on a premed internet forum.

I've already got a couple of PhD acceptances that I can suspend for up to 2 years, but the idea of writing a dissertation makes me a little queasy, and I don't want to teach college for $50,000 either.

That thing with the katana blade looks cool too, though. Does it work with a dull swiss army knife?

I was considering a Master's in Public Health or maybe in Bioethics. If the opportunity comes, maybe a research manager position *cross fingers*

My backup plan is to apply for a Post-Bacc and try again. I'd also call the schools and see what I was lacking. Take their advice into deep consideration and work on making myself a better applicant. If I don't get accepted again then I really don't know. My mom keeps threatning(sp?) to send me to Mexico so I can do med school there if I don't get in. Thankfully I won't have to develop an escape plan for another 2 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hate thinking about this. After all the energy and time...to come up short...

...I'm gonna go hover over the toilet. :laugh:

Round 1 after not being accepted: Eat some sandwiches, buff up my application, and fight on.

Round 2: Go postbacc or Masters Program\

Round 3: DO or Carribean.

Medicine is already kind of my plan B (meaning that it's my plan A now that all hope of landing a dance job that actually pays the bills has gone out the window as my hips fell apart) but if I don't get accepted to med school, I'm either applying to PT school or just becoming a hooker to foot the bills while I dance for the corps of some no-name company in the middle of no where. :D

Medicine is already kind of my plan B (meaning that it's my plan A now that all hope of landing a dance job that actually pays the bills has gone out the window as my hips fell apart) but if I don't get accepted to med school, I'm either applying to PT school or just becoming a hooker to foot the bills while I dance for the corps of some no-name company in the middle of no where. :D

Make sure they have matched 401k :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
That thing with the katana blade looks cool too, though. Does it work with a dull swiss army knife?

Technically it's supposed to be done with a wakizashi.

Yikes! :eek: What does THAT mean?

First I'll do my best to fix what's wrong with my application and see whether re-applying is even worth it. If med school isn't gonna happen then I'd try for PA school, if that doesn't work then nursing school, if that doesn't work then something as a tech and if I'm that cursed to not work in medicine I would like to teach Biology or some science related course but not in the college setting. Now that I type that out it seems like an expensive backup plan.

I hate thinking about this. After all the energy and time...to come up short...

...I'm gonna go hover over the toilet. :laugh:

Seriously..and might I add "all the money" to the mix? I'm thinking if I don't get in on the first try, I'd find out what was wrong with my application and work all year to fix it, maybe get a lab job or be a CNA. If I don't get in on the second try, I'd do PA school or nursing school. I've thought about going after a PhD in neuroscience but I'm not sure I totally like the idea of that and how long it takes. But I'll definitely still be in medicine/biology. After the third try, well, I don't think there would be one. As difficult as it would be, I'd probably realize I wasn't meant to be an MD and get started with something else.

I'd also call the schools and see what I was lacking. Take their advice into deep consideration and work on making myself a better applicant.
Posted via Mobile Device

i went on 5 interviews last time i applied and made it onto 4 waitlists. none of them came through for me, and all of them refused to discuss my application, instead telling me (some in the actual rejection letter itself) that it would be best to discuss my case with my premed advisor. don't count on schools helping you (although some will).

I'm a reapplicant, and if medicine doesn't want me this time, I can take the hint. I'm not sure I am enthusiastic enough about hard science to do a PhD program, and so I'd probably end up doing something completely different. My short list includes writing, brewing, politics, or some mix of the three. Essentially, just something to pay the bills en route to the next thing.

Well this is my first year applying- if it doesn't work out (I would assume that is because my MCAT scores won't release until Sept.)...then I will work hard to pull grades up- shouldn't be that hard I did 4.0 this past year, then reapply super early (possibly retake MCAT is that is a problem)

I have already undergone so much in college- 1st nerve impingement, car wreck w/ PT, kidney stones, and diagnosis with a chronic disease- now I have a second shoulder injury and I had to push back my MCAT we shall see what happens.

Yikes! :eek: What does THAT mean?

Means that I'm 19 and in the past 3 years, I've had 2 hip surgeries with a third on it's way this summer. Yes, I have had at least as many, if not more, hip surgeries as your grandmother.

Means that I'm 19 and in the past 3 years, I've had 2 hip surgeries with a third on it's way this summer. Yes, I have had at least as many, if not more, hip surgeries as your grandmother.

From dancing alone? Or from injuries (e.g. falls, torn muscles, dislocations)?

Hm, I imagine that having well-functioning hips would be important in the field of hookery. Unless you're hoping for clients like Denny Crane.

I'm a reapplicant, and if medicine doesn't want me this time, I can take the hint. I'm not sure I am enthusiastic enough about hard science to do a PhD program, and so I'd probably end up doing something completely different. My short list includes writing, brewing, politics, or some mix of the three. Essentially, just something to pay the bills en route to the next thing.

You could get politicians drunk and write about it.

You could get politicians drunk and write about it.

It couldn't be more asinine than what they say 90% of the time anyway. McCain was stone sober when he called his wife a ****...who needs booze when you're an egomaniac?

Poster above nailed it. (Prostitution and/or Seppuku. :thumbup:)

On a serious note:
If I don't get accepted, I will decide between PhD in Computer Science, Caribbean, and DO. In regards to "re-applying"... if I decide on the PhD route, then yes, at some point in the future I probably will give the application process another shot. Medicine is the field I want to be in. Too bad it doesn't seem to want me as much as I want it. Makes me feel like a creepy stalker.

i went on 5 interviews last time i applied and made it onto 4 waitlists. none of them came through for me, and all of them refused to discuss my application, instead telling me (some in the actual rejection letter itself) that it would be best to discuss my case with my premed advisor. don't count on schools helping you (although some will).

I also had a hard time getting schools that turned me down to give me advice about my application. I'd have MCAT/GPA similar to their average matriculant, ask them for help, and they'd tell me to improve my MCAT/GPA. Nothing but a generic email from any of the schools I asked.

From dancing alone? Or from injuries (e.g. falls, torn muscles, dislocations)?

I started with a stupid thing I did while dancing which ended with my hip subluxing, my psoas nearly rupturing, and the labrum (cartilage) in my hip tearing. Had that all fixed and then found out that my hips were messed up to begin with--I have mild dysplasia and oddly shaped femoral heads. So I had the first surgery to fix the mess I had created, that left my hip in even worse shape because it was already screwy and I had to have surgery again. And now this third one will fix up everything wrong with the other hip.

Hm, I imagine that having well-functioning hips would be important in the field of hookery. Unless you're hoping for clients like Denny Crane.

hahaha. props for using the term hookery. They tell me they'll function just fine once they're all fixed up but most dance companies won't like the fact that at one point in time they didn't work so well. So they'll be fine for hookering but not so fine for being in a tutu.

I'm a second time reapplicant, so if medical school doesn't work out for me this time, I'll consider the following options.

Option 1: Apply for Caribbean medical schools. It may be more expensive and farther away but I am convicted enough to pursue medicine to live with these issues. It also may be tougher getting into great residence programs but that is something I will personally have to overcome

Option 2: Apply for graduate school. This means taking the GRE (!!)

Option 3: Travel the world! eat delicious food! meet many people! (just kidding thou this would be great) In reality, I'll look for a job to earn some income

Hopefully none of us will have to face these decisions. Good luck all!

I'm not into giving up yet...

However, if I don't seem to ever be getting in I have given myself two options. 1. Use family connections (my dad was a partner) and my business school background (accounting) to get a consulting job. 2. Sports Massage Therapy, I've always loved giving massages and am really good at working out knots and helping strained/sprained muscles.

This thread is a good one since "What would you do if you didn't get into any medical school?" is a very fair question that some interviewers might ask.

I am applying to caribbean and Puerto Rican schools during my initial round of applications since my grades are less than stellar to begin with... I guess if I don't get in anywhere I'll try for pharmacy schools (but since i will already have a BS in another field, idk about them) or MPH/MSPH programs... maybe try again next year? I don't like to think about it, since there is probably a good possibility that this will happen.

Wow ok. I never thought about that. So here's my "new" plan.

1) apply for a SMP program. If I don't get in register for more sci classes after I graduate as a non degree seeking student cause my bcpm is probably what turned them off. Apply again

2) after the second time around I would abuse the system and go for a second degree using that "promise to teach in an underserved school and we will pay for your degree" scholarship. (Although I would have to look further into this because I don't know if it only applies to first time in college students). I would probably try to get a job teaching Middle school or HS science. Simply to keep up with the sciences for when I retake the MCAT. In the summer I'll work under my CNA license (you know to show med schools I am still interested in the medical field). After 5-6 yrs apply again. See if I can use that "but I've matured so much since we last met" line.

3) If re-applying doesn't work. I'll apply to DO or Carib. I'm in no way shape or form saying that these are the "last resort" because they're not. I'm just saying this is what I would do.