What if you don't get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that's a dismal thought.... but I'm just curious..

If you don't get in on your first try (or this try, for those actually applying this year), what will you do in between that time and the next app cycle?

Work in your undergrad field? Look into a masters? Travel?

Members don't see this ad.

Shot-gun to the head.

That seems a bit drastic.. eliminates the option of ever getting into med school.

I plan on trying to work on improving my application. Studying for MCAT, working on personal statement, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I shot myselp in the foot this year by waiting for my August MCAT scoes before sending everything in. As a result my applications were pretty late. WHAT WAS I THINKING? I didn't get as many interviews as I was hoping for. Still, I'm high on a waitlist and it looks likely that I'll be going there in the fall but if not, I will likely apply again. Next time I'll be sending my materials in as soon as possible. In the year off I'll probably substitute teach.

I'm confused about what to do. I don't think I'll be reapplying anytime soon if I don't get in, but at the same time, I think that if I just apply again, but early this time, not in november, I might have a chance. So it'll either be reapplying in June or probably not at all or at least not for a very long time.

Originally posted by manna
I know that's a dismal thought.... but I'm just curious..

If you don't get in on your first try (or this try, for those actually applying this year), what will you do in between that time and the next app cycle?

Work in your undergrad field? Look into a masters? Travel?

Hey manna, how ya doin'? Anyways, there have been many threads on your topic, and I do believe that I have answered two of them :D

Well, my answer here is this: different people will do different things. Some people do take the time to travel and enjoy life before applying again, some people go get a master's degree in a science, some people work in their major field, some people do some international volunteer work, some people would try to get in more research/clinical experience, etc. Heck, some people'll do more than one of these things.

As for me, well, first I'd contact the schools to see why I was rejected (especially for my top choice schools; I wouldn't just e-mail 'em, I'd actually walk right into their admissions offices to show them that I mean business :cool: )...then I'd probably do what I have said in the above paragraph.