what if you don't make it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so has anyone ever thought about becoming a physician assistant?

i read some web pages, pa requires certain clinical hours through either volunteering or actual works.

oh, man. that is hard. what else do you want to do if you can't make it?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm majoring in medical technology. So, if I don't get into medical school on my first try, I want to work as a medical technologist for a couple of years and try again.

good thing is that med. schools don't have age limit, but what about your personal life?

by the time, someone graduated with a MD degree and has the right to practice medicine, s/he would be seven years older.

that is a lot of committment.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a time commitment, but you are going to age anyway. I started med school when I was 33, working as a secretary. By the time I am done with school and residency, I will be in my 40's. But if I hadn't tried, I would be in my 40's anyway. Like people who encouraged me told me, "you can be 40 and a secretary or 40 and a doctor"

Everyone has to make that decision of course...how long they are willing to keep trying before they start thinking of doing something else. And if I was younger and had not gotten into med school, I probably would have kept trying a lot longer than if I hadn't gotten in at the age I did. As it was, I was 33, and was going to give myself 2-3 chances. I got in on the second try.

Billie, MS-III

how often does a doctor get a divorce?

I watched NOva's video, <<MD: making of a doctor>>, of the only four male students who they interviewed, two of them got divorced before the end of their internship. that is 50% rate.

Not bad, considering that the NATIONAL divorce rate hovers around 50%. Still, I've heard that certain specialties are more prone to divorce than others. Lemme tell ya - marraige is hard no matter what you do. But I sure am glad I'm married.

Nanon

Right on Billie!

I'm also in my 30's and will be applying to medschool this year. What will I do if they turn me down? Try again! This is what I want to do. Of course I suppose it's best if you find out why they said no, then correct that deficiency and do it again. It seems to me there are very few limitations to getting into medical school that can't be corrected...perhaps some severe physical or mental handicaps that would preclude you from being able to gain the skills to be a physician. Otherwise, you can learn or get the experience necessary to get there if you really want it bad enough.

But if you're really not really sure about full fledged M.D., there are plenty of wonderful alternatives: podiatry, optometry, dentistry, P.A., R.N., EMT, paramedic, pharmacist, medical technologist, dental assistant and a million other things. The health field is wide open in terms of both career options and employment opportunities.