Cadet133

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So I'm trying to understand this acgme milestone process. I know for the 6 core competencies you get rated 1-5. What do you need to have by your first year? What if you don't meet set milestones? Do you get kicked out? Do they try to help you?

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
So I'm trying to understand this acgme milestone process. I know for the 6 core competencies you get rated 1-5. What do you need to have by your first year? What if you don't meet set milestones? Do you get kicked out? Do they try to help you?
Probably dependent on the program and the individual.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
5 is an advanced attending level. The point of the milestones is to show improvement.

hamstergang

may or may not contain hamsters
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
NJ
Status
Attending Physician
It's just another way to evaluate residents, which is something programs were already doing. So just like before, if you're not up to par then your program will address that in some way depending on the areas of weakness, the severity of the weakness, and individual variables based on the program itself. There is no one-size-fits-all answer here.

ProfMD

I'd rather be operating.
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
It's just another way to evaluate residents, which is something programs were already doing. So just like before, if you're not up to par then your program will address that in some way depending on the areas of weakness, the severity of the weakness, and individual variables based on the program itself. There is no one-size-fits-all answer here.
It is a way to evaluate residents, which programs were already doing. However, this is an effort to standardize expectations across different programs in the same speciality.

To the OP - don't worry about it now. When you have your evaluation with the chair and/or PD, they will go over it with you and decide if you are ready to advance. You are expected to reach level 4 by the time you graduate.

hamstergang

may or may not contain hamsters
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
NJ
Status
Attending Physician
It is a way to evaluate residents, which programs were already doing. However, this is an effort to standardize expectations across different programs in the same speciality.
Agreed, but that's not really related to the point I was making. There's no reason to worry about milestones more than the previous evaluation tools as the end result for each resident should be about the same.

Reactions: ProfMD