What if you get arrested during this ongoing protest? Will it hurt our chances at residency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsk013

7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Just curious what would happen if you get arrested during this George Floyd protest.

Will you have to report it on your residency application? And will residency programs look at it more favorably or neutral since it was for a social cause?
I can see how it might hurt but also help (people wanting to see changes and a leader)

What do you guys think?

Feb 16, 2020
Texas
Status
Medical Student
I too was wondering whether being arrested in this context would cause issues for medical school/residency but I think “will getting arrested for protesting look good on residency apps” is the wrong type of question to ask

I know you probably don’t mean to sound insensitive but the question almost sounds like “can I utilize the present situation to bolster my application?”

sorry if I’m reading too much into it but just throwing that out there!!

About the Ads

longhaul3

2+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2016
I can't remember for sure but I think you would have to disclose it.

I think it could catch people's eye in fields like psych, IM, FM, peds, etc. Would look bad to a lot of surgeons.

Just be careful. People with government-sponsored professional licenses (us) take on enormous risk getting involved in protests against the government and civil disobedience. Do what you feel is right, but don't be guilted into risking your career by people posting on Instagram who are either students or working regular jobs and could find another one even if they caught a felony charge.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Giving the side eye
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I too was wondering whether being arrested in this context would cause issues for medical school/residency but I think “will getting arrested for protesting look good on residency apps” is the wrong type of question to ask

I know you probably don’t mean to sound insensitive but the question almost sounds like “can I utilize the present situation to bolster my application?”

sorry if I’m reading too much into it but just throwing that out there!!
I think the more favorably part was just meant to ask even though it is a red flag, will they be lenient because of the context. Not can it be used to bolster an app.

Oct 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Will you have to report it on your residency application?
ERAS asks you if you were convicted of a misdemeanor or felony, so if you were arrested and convicted (not just charged, or pleaded down to a municipal code violation or something) you would have to report it. That said, and this might sound cliche, but if a residency program were going to pass on your application for getting arrested during a peaceful protest for one of the most important issues of our time, that probably isn't a place you want to be.

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student

Oligodinero

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
May 1, 2019
Status
Medical Student
ERAS asks you if you were convicted of a misdemeanor or felony, so if you were arrested and convicted (not just charged, or pleaded down to a municipal code violation or something) you would have to report it. That said, and this might sound cliche, but if a residency program were going to pass on your application for getting arrested during a peaceful protest for one of the most important issues of our time, that probably isn't a place you want to be.
Yes, but when you apply for hospital credentialing, they'll ask about any arrests before conducting their own background check....regardless of conviction. Failure to disclose anything could make a PD drop you. Best bet is to be totally honest and have a good explanation ready.

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Just curious what would happen if you get arrested during this George Floyd protest.

Will you have to report it on your residency application? And will residency programs look at it more favorably or neutral since it was for a social cause?
I can see how it might hurt but also help (people wanting to see changes and a leader)

What do you guys think?
Arrests will not help.

Oct 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yes, but when you apply for hospital credentialing, they'll ask about any arrests before conducting their own background check....regardless of conviction. Failure to disclose anything could make a PD drop you. Best bet is to be totally honest and have a good explanation ready.
If you answer the questions honestly you're not failing to disclose anything. If you haven't been convicted of anything, you can answer "no" to the question on ERAS.

Mass Effect

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2012
Status
Attending Physician

Well, what do ya think?
Why are you comparing the OP's question regarding peaceful protests with would-be killers?

OP, no one can answer your question definitively. The truth is, it likely depends on the specialty and location you're aiming for. Psych is likely to be more understanding than ortho. Psych in Manhattan, LA, or Boston is likely to be more understanding than psych in KS, MS, and AR. An arrest never looks "good," but putting it in context will likely not screen you out in certain places.

About the Ads

Dr. Death

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
How confident are you that this is the exact wording of the questions? We can't login now but I believe the questions were if you were ever charged with a misdemeanor or felony

• Okay...
Reactions: JSReed

NITRAS

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
.... That said, and this might sound cliche, but if a residency program were going to pass on your application for getting arrested during a peaceful protest for one of the most important issues of our time, that probably isn't a place you want to be.
Given the amount of violence going on right now, good chance to give mixed up in something you will regret.

Shotapp

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
GA
Status
Pre-Medical
The news crew from CNN comes to mind.
You're right. I'm in no way saying op or anyone should go out and protest. But not all peaceful protesters get arrested. Although the risk of getting arrested is fairly high.

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads

AnonymousDoctorGuyPerson

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2017
I understand that this is a very heated and emotional topic. I hear and value your different opinions.

All I was trying to say is that if you walk down the street or stand in front of a police precinct with a sign or present any other form of civil peaceful protest, I do not think you would get arrested. This obviously changes if you are willingly or unwillingly part of a group that escalates behavior. However, you are an individual and can choose if you are ok with what is going on around you. If you think that the situation is escalating and you think that it may be going in a direction where police intervention may be imminent - walk away, be safe.
I remember a legal Occupy Wall Street march had us diverted down a street by the cops that ended in a cross-road barrier with riot cops blocking the way. Were then told to disperse, and if we didn't we'd be arrested, except we were surrounded so... *shrug* I had several friends detained for essentially being slower than others. This was a non-violent march as well.

Shotapp

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
GA
Status
Pre-Medical
The news crew from CNN comes to mind.
They were later released and no charges were filed against them. Protesting is a constitutional right so long as it's done peacefully and no laws are being broken (ex. Curfew) then an arrest is can be avoided.

Reactions: Goro

longhaul3

2+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2016
Regardless of whether ERAS asks about arrests vs. adjudications vs. convictions, eventually you will have to explain an arrest to your program, your hospital, your state medical board, any number of entities, in order to get a medical license.

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They were later released and no charges were filed against them. Protesting is a constitutional right so long as it's done peacefully and no laws are being broken (ex. Curfew) then an arrest is can be avoided.
Im aware of this but the point is, even innocent, peaceful people can get tangled up in it. Luckily they were released (having the entire thing on video probably helps too)

Jun 11, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I understand that this is a very heated and emotional topic. I hear and value your different opinions.

All I was trying to say is that if you walk down the street or stand in front of a police precinct with a sign or present any other form of civil peaceful protest, I do not think you would get arrested. This obviously changes if you are willingly or unwillingly part of a group that escalates behavior. However, you are an individual and can choose if you are ok with what is going on around you. If you think that the situation is escalating and you think that it may be going in a direction where police intervention may be imminent - walk away, be safe.
That’s just it though. “If the situation is escalating”. Cops aren’t just reacting to “escalating situations” with arrests, beatings, tear gassings, horse trampling, police car vs. pedestrians, and shootings (live and rubber), they are doing this without provocation and there is footage everywhere you look.

<L>

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
And a news crew's job is to get as close to the action/conflict as possible. You as a protester don't have that same obligation. Don't put yourself in a situation that will put your situational awareness into question. You can certainly protest without creating that problem for yourself. If things start getting hot, you need to get your ass out of there.

D

deleted407021

Getting arrested can become dangerous spiral into being charged for something you didn’t do, having drugs or weapons planted on you or being otherwise abused by cops. A lot can go wrong for you with you hands zip tied behind your back and your phone taken away in the midst of a chaotic environment with police instigated violence.

Be careful out there, y’all.

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That’s just it though. “If the situation is escalating”. Cops aren’t just reacting to “escalating situations” with arrests, beatings, tear gassings, horse trampling, police car vs. pedestrians, and shootings (live and rubber), they are doing this without provocation and there is footage everywhere you look.
Likeeee DC :rolleyes:

About the Ads
Jan 5, 2019
Do what you feel is right, but don't be guilted into risking your career by people posting on Instagram who are either students or working regular jobs and could find another one even if they caught a felony charge.
I really want to echo this. It should be acknowledged that everyone plays a different role in social change/movement. There are people whose jobs are in activism and in the nonprofit sector and other fields, in which getting arrested for civil disobedience does not pose serious implications.

As a medical student and prospective doctor, you do no good for yourself and the community if you get arrested. There are other things that you are well-positioned to do that will help just as much, if not more, than protesting in situations where you risk arrest. You can donate, you can volunteer (clinically or non), you can facilitate discourse with your classmates and faculty (people with money and who are in positions of power).

genessis42

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Even if you're staying within curfew, and not agitating/rioting, there is still a risk of an arrest. And that can still spiral into some kind of charge.

Don't let others guilt you into something which you don't feel comfortable doing.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]

The biggest issue in a lot of these situations when large crowds gather and there's clear looting/rioting/etc going on is that the lines become blurred and it rarely works out in such a way that the police *only* arrest the rioters/looters while peaceful protestors are left alone. There was a black family that was trying to get the attention of the cops and protect their business from looters, and they actually got detained and handcuffed by the cops.

Oligodinero

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
May 1, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Regardless of whether ERAS asks about arrests vs. adjudications vs. convictions, eventually you will have to explain an arrest to your program, your hospital, your state medical board, any number of entities, in order to get a medical license.
Yup.. I've known several doctors over the years who thought they could get away with not disclosing things like DUIs and such to credentialing committees or state boards. Eventually **** got out and they were busted. State boards really dislike it when they uncover crap that was not disclosed. They tend to be very punitive when it comes to that.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Giving the side eye
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
The biggest issue in a lot of these situations when large crowds gather and there's clear looting/rioting/etc going on is that the lines become blurred and it rarely works out in such a way that the police *only* arrest the rioters/looters while peaceful protestors are left alone. There was a black family that was trying to get the attention of the cops and protect their business from looters, and they actually got detained and handcuffed by the cops.
Detained and arrested aren’t the same. I worked in security forces a bit in the Navy before med school and sometimes you have detain everyone involved to get a handle on the situation, especially if things are spiraling. That’s not the same as arresting someone for protesting peacefully, and it wouldn’t have to be disclosed anywhere because it’s just being detained and then released.

So you wouldn’t even have to mention that to credentialing boards unless they specifically ask have you ever been detained. And I seriously doubt they would because you are technically being detained any time you get pulled over.

sanfran256

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I would be super careful, you have to disclose everything to licensing boards (even traffic/parking tickets!)
Risk of covid + risk of arrest (sometimes unfairly) = not worth it

You can do a lot of work towards this cause at home . Social media, blogging, calling your representatives, participating in virtual meetings, etc.

Reactions: Crayola227

<L>

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
I would be super careful, you have to disclose everything to licensing boards (even traffic/parking tickets!)

You can do a lot of work towards this cause at home . Social media, blogging, calling your representatives, participating in virtual meetings, etc.
I mean, as I said in the other thread, go out and protest. Plenty of physicians I know are out this week doing so. The trope that gets tossed around that physicians and programs are against political activity is a false one.

But if you get arrested/charged for something don't be upset if you don't get much sympathy from people reading your app.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldPsychDoc

Oligodinero

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
May 1, 2019
Status
Medical Student

I've never had to disclose traffic/parking tickets to the Oklahoma, Texas, or California state medical boards......they ask for arrests excluding minor traffic tickets, moving violations, etc.

sanfran256

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I've never had to disclose traffic/parking tickets to the Oklahoma, Texas, or California state medical boards......they ask for arrests excluding minor traffic tickets, moving violations, etc.
Not this year . Applied for a post grad training license in CA- definitely wants you to disclose everything

sanfran256

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I mean, as I said in the other thread, go out and protest. Plenty of physicians I know are out this week doing so. The trope that gets tossed around that physicians and programs are against political activity is a false one.

But if you get arrested/charged for something don't be upset if you don't get much sympathy from people reading your app.
Yeah but unfortunately there is little forgiveness in our medical system; especially for med students/residents

Oligodinero

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
May 1, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Not this year . Applied for a post grad training license in CA- definitely wants you to disclose everything
That's definitely new then. Because I got nailed for taking a right on a no right on red several years ago....they never asked about that when I'd renew my state license.

<L>

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah but unfortunately there is little forgiveness in our medical system; especially for med students/residents
Eh, it's more forgiving than you'd think for med students and it's incredibly forgiving for residents (though that's a discussion for another day)

But an arrest would be a flag, make no mistake, and having a flag on your application sucks (can tell you from personal experience from an unrelated issue). Having to explain a flag over and over at every interview is an exhausting experience even if it doesn't ultimately hurt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads