What if you have a D in the sciences....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saccadic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone my friend is too lazy to register on SDN so he asked me to post this for him. He has a D in physics and is wondering whether it will significantly ruin his chances for Med school. Personally, I think it will because most med schools require at least a C or better and I told him to retake the class but he is reluctant and doesnt want to wait a year.. so what do any of you think????

Members don't see this ad.

Saccadic said:
Hey everyone my friend is too lazy to register on SDN so he asked me to post this for him. He has a D in physics and is wondering whether it will significantly ruin his chances for Med school. Personally, I think it will because most med schools require at least a C or better and I told him to retake the class but he is reluctant and doesnt want to wait a year.. so what do any of you think????

retake the class. what are his other grades like?

retake the class.

Your "friend" needs a C or better in all the prereqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Robizzle said:
retake the class. what are his other grades like?

retake the class.

I agree. As far as I know, med schools don't accept anything below a C-. He has to retake it if he wants to apply.

baylormed said:
I agree. As far as I know, med schools don't accept anything below a C-. He has to retake it if he wants to apply.

Isn't it anything below a C?

bbas said:
Isn't it anything below a C?

Maybe it varies. I read in Columbias app instructions that they don't take anything below a C-. But maybe others schools want a C or better.

I'm pretty sure it varies. :cool:

k well his grades are really good overall.. and also he is asking if he should take physics while applying to med school or should he finish the class first then apply???? his mcats are a 33 so he is in good shape...

hm...this is a hard one ...kill youself of course ;) j/k

how did he get 33 and got D in physics o_O he must be kicking ass in other two sections.

he have to retake with no other option.

Certainly the best thing to do would to re-take the course.

Whether or not schools claim that they will not take anything below a C, they certainly won't accept someone with a string of BCPM Cs.

Hopefully, this is only the case with Physics (I know Physics is an esoteric subject...some chem and bio geniuses couldn't pass Physics). If this is the case, he should be fine but he should re-take the course. If he is having trouble with all his pre-med reqs, then he needs to shape up fast and figure out what's wrong.

Best to learn from your mistakes and push through.
-Dr. P.

Hey guys, Saccadic was talkin about me per my asking.
Anyway, that's my only pre-req science D. Well, physics 1 i got a B, but all other pre-reqs I got As. I have a 3.6 science ( i pretty much blew the first 3 years)...

I have anothe question. If I retake this year, can I still apply and just explain to the adcom or on applications about this? Or should I wait and apply in the next cycle for 2008?? thanks

Well, does he not want to wait a year to apply
then get rejected flat-out because he didn't have at least a C-
thus wasting a year anyway

or

does he want to wait a year
retake that class along with some others
get at least a C- and a higher GPA

and THEN apply?

it's a pretty easy decision. The D is going to hurt. He may still be able to do it and apply on time...

nontypicalazn said:
Anyway, that's my only pre-req science D. Well, physics 1 i got a B, but all other pre-reqs I got As. I have a 3.6 science ( i pretty much blew the first 3 years)...

I have anothe question. If I retake this year, can I still apply and just explain to the adcom or on applications about this? Or should I wait and apply in the next cycle for 2008?? thanks

I've seen a few schools that require all pre-reqs done by January the year you'd enroll, so if you aren't going to take it in the fall, you couldn't apply to these schools (I don't know which all they are... I just ran across it once or twice in looking at various schools), or you'd have to wait until the next cycle to apply.

Dr. Pepper said:
Certainly the best thing to do would to re-take the course.

Whether or not schools claim that they will not take anything below a C, they certainly won't accept someone with a string of BCPM Cs.

Hopefully, this is only the case with Physics (I know Physics is an esoteric subject...some chem and bio geniuses couldn't pass Physics). If this is the case, he should be fine but he should re-take the course. If he is having trouble with all his pre-med reqs, then he needs to shape up fast and figure out what's wrong.

Best to learn from your mistakes and push through.
-Dr. P.

Just curious, how do you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
i do plan on taking the class in the Fall and be done by Janurary, but I am also submitting my applications mid August. If that, would they give me interviews before I get my new grade?? Woud I have to specify stuff in the applications? I mean, that bad grade in physics was in 2nd year, and ive had upward trend since.

defrunner said:
Just curious, how do you know?

Your grades are supposed to represent your performance over a period of time. A huge string of C's would possibly represent mediocrity over a period of time, or reflect some kind of long-standing hardship, scheduling problems (like taking all of your sciences at once--no bonus points people for taking all your lumps in one semester or year!), or something. But it isn't good.

Why should the ADCOMS put someone through with that if they have similar applicants with a mix of A's and B's or mostly A's and B's with one or two C's in there?

To the OP, your MCAT is good, so re-take the physics. How is your grade in your other semester of physics? Maybe you should seek out a tutor or someone to help you put your finger on the problem. Physics sucks! I know. It is a bunch of bull****, okay? But even I (and I am often not the brightest crayon in the box, but a hard worker) was able to pull off physics (three quarter's worth) with a smattering of A's and B's. I crapped my pants when I got an A- in physics. Seriously. I did go to our campus's tutoring center, and I was sleeping with an engineer back then (so I had LOTS of help with Physics haha), so it can be done.

jackieMD2007 said:
and I was sleeping with an engineer back then (so I had LOTS of help with Physics haha)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:laugh:

Robizzle said:

Shut up, Rob. Nerdy engineers need love too. There were like, two girls in my schools' engineering program. All the hotties were biology majors or marine biology. :D

Saccadic said:
I'd say that the fact that your friend is too lazy even to make a simple post on SDN might be more of a problem than a D in physics! :laugh:

That's true for some schools, which explicitly state this on their apps, but by no means universally true. One D shouldn't cause a problem, especially if the MCAT is solid.

hermit said:
Your "friend" needs a C or better in all the prereqs.

Or, "your friend" should call the schools he/she is most interested in and inquire if the D grade will disqualify him/her.

all it takes is a call to a school to as if you can finish up the requirements at the in the fall. you should have a decent idea where you want to apply anyway. then just explain it in the secondaries, easy as that... you don't need to wait a year if you don't want to

I refuse to give any advice on a "My friend wanted me to ask" thread. I mean, if he doesn't care enough to ask the question himself then let him figure it out for himself.

First of all, how did he make a 33? 15 vr 15 bs 3 ps? I don't get how people say they failed physics or haven't taken a course yet and are making 30's on their MCAT. Maybe that's jut me, I definitely couldn't make a 30 on the MCAT right now (without knowing organic or physics).

I guess I am just skeptical of anyone who posts asking a question about his friend, then mentions his friend has a 33 MCAT after failing physics.

DoctorPardi said:
I refuse to give any advice on a "My friend wanted me to ask" thread. I mean, if he doesn't care enough to ask the question himself then let him figure it out for himself.

First of all, how did he make a 33? 15 vr 15 bs 3 ps? I don't get how people say they failed physics or haven't taken a course yet and are making 30's on their MCAT. Maybe that's jut me, I definitely couldn't make a 30 on the MCAT right now (without knowing organic or physics).

I guess I am just skeptical of anyone who posts asking a question about his friend, then mentions his friend has a 33 MCAT after failing physics.

You know what, B? Me too. However. I am not a psychiatrist or anything ( :eek: ) but I would bet that a LOT of this "my friend" stuff is really the OP who is too ashamed to admit that HE/SHE is the one failing or whatever. And the more they insist that it is a "friend" the more you know its them. In this day and age all of the college students are on myspace, facebook, IM, email, etc 24/7. I don't buy that people are "too shy" to sign up or don't know how to use an internet message board. :laugh:

jackieMD2007 said:
You know what, B? Me too. However. I am not a psychiatrist or anything ( :eek: ) but I would bet that a LOT of this "my friend" stuff is really the OP who is too ashamed to admit that HE/SHE is the one failing or whatever. And the more they insist that it is a "friend" the more you know its them. In this day and age all of the college students are on myspace, facebook, IM, email, etc 24/7. I don't buy that people are "too shy" to sign up or don't know how to use an internet message board. :laugh:

Well, then the OP created a new account, because another guy halfway through the thread stated it was him, and he asked. See the posts by nontypicalazn.

could be another "my chances" question..
for example:

"maybe i've got this D in physics .. but what if i scored a 33 on the MCAT in August? Would I still have a shot?"

IF this is the case, the OP probably knows that we would say that a 33 is easier said than done etc. and decided to just post a good score and pretend he/she actually scored it already.

just my speculation =P could be totally wrong. if i am, then my bad. don't hate on me.
----
edit: bleh it seems i'm totally wrong. :D

mvenus929 said:
Well, then the OP created a new account, because another guy halfway through the thread stated it was him, and he asked. See the posts by nontypicalazn.

Yeah, I see that. Makes it even more sketchy. Could be the SAME guy, trying to validate himself. You never know.

jackieMD2007 said:
Yeah, I see that. Makes it even more sketchy. Could be the SAME guy, trying to validate himself. You never know.

If this pre-med "friend" has found SDN and didn't register and become ADDICTED right away, there is definitely something wrong with him. :laugh:

jackieMD2007 said:

The whole thing is, I just don't understand the conversations that go on that lead to these threads.

OP: Hey man you should sign up on this website and ask that question about your physics class!
Friend: Naw I don't really care, I am just going to apply anyway.
OP: Well I am going to get on there and ask anyway!
Friend: Whatever

First of all, your friend doesn't seem like he cares, if he even exists. Also I can understand someone like Jackie saying "hey guys my friend just failed physics, do you think she has to retake it?", because she has been posting her for a year or more. It isn't like she just signed up to ask a question for her friend, and also she has credibility as a long time member so I expect she is telling the truth about her friend.

Anyway if I were a new dude just wanting to ask some question for a friend, I would just ask it as if it were me, it just makes things less complicated. I am not sure why I am pissed off about this thread but I am. I think I am going to take a nap, then I'll be ready to answer all of everyone's friend's questions.

DoctorPardi said:
The whole thing is, I just don't understand the conversations that go on that lead to these threads.

OP: Hey man you should sign up on this website and ask that question about your physics class!
Friend: Naw I don't really care, I am just going to apply anyway.
OP: Well I am going to get on there and ask anyway!
Friend: Whatever

First of all, your friend doesn't seem like he cares, if he even exists. Also I can understand someone like Jackie saying "hey guys my friend just failed physics, do you think she has to retake it?", because she has been posting her for a year or more. It isn't like she just signed up to ask a question for her friend, and also she has credibility as a long time member so I expect she is telling the truth about her friend.

Anyway if I were a new dude just wanting to ask some question for a friend, I would just ask it as if it were me, it just makes things less complicated. I am not sure why I am pissed off about this thread but I am. I think I am going to take a nap, then I'll be ready to answer all of everyone's friend's questions.

Oh, B. Hang in there. You crack me the hell up. That is so funny. :)

To clear up anything, I am not neowatever azn, my friend is actually another person and I do not have multiple personality disorder... .. so no more assumptions plz.. i am done with all the mcat and app stuff already so why the hell would i be doing this.. and im going to med school next year..

nontypicalazn said:

Hey...there is something strange going on here. The OP said you were too lazy to register so he was posting for you. However, you have a join date in june, while his was later (July). SOMEONE IS NOT TELLING THE TRUTH

NYMC MD 2B said:
Hey...there is something strange going on here. The OP said you were too lazy to register so he was posting for you. However, you have a join date in june, while his was later (July). SOMEONE IS NOT TELLING THE TRUTH
:laugh: :laugh:

NYMC MD 2B said:

LOL i noticed that earlier today also. I didn't want to point it out though and continue something silly. Nice detective work though :thumbup: .

Saccadic said:
To clear up anything, I am not neowatever azn, my friend is actually another person and I do not have multiple personality disorder... .. so no more assumptions plz.. i am done with all the mcat and app stuff already so why the hell would i be doing this.. and im going to med school next year..

overconfident a bit?

OSUdoc08 said:
overconfident a bit?

NOT overconfident a bit because there are other schools that i got into but downstate is my first choice..

Saccadic said:
NOT overconfident a bit because there are other schools that i got into but downstate is my first choice..

Where else?

Saccadic said:

Congrats.

I'm not sure how you could NOT KNOW that a D in a pre-req is an automatic rejection from ALL med schools if you were actually accepted yourself.

NYMC MD 2B said:
:laugh: I saw that too but kept my mouth shut :cool:

jackieMD2007 said:
Your grades are supposed to represent your performance over a period of time. A huge string of C's would possibly represent mediocrity over a period of time, or reflect some kind of long-standing hardship, scheduling problems (like taking all of your sciences at once--no bonus points people for taking all your lumps in one semester or year!), or something. But it isn't good.

Why should the ADCOMS put someone through with that if they have similar applicants with a mix of A's and B's or mostly A's and B's with one or two C's in there?

Well, it was a pertinent question because I screwed up in undergrad (never denied that) and by the time I got serious about my studies, it was senior year and I was trying to complete two unrelated majors to graduate on time, which I did, last year. So, yes, I have a lot of C's, especially in the sciences and I even have one D (from Physics 1). My ability to perform is not the question because I'm doing well in the master's program that I'm in right now and I somehow pulled off a 33 on the MCAT in April. I submitted my primary weeks ago (it's still not verified though -- it takes forever apparently).

My point is, next to pretty much everyone else on SDN, no, I'm not an ideal candidate at all. However, I want to go to med school and while my undergrad GPA is apparently a major, major drawback, I am hoping that because the rest of my application is solid (MCAT, EC's, LOR's, etc) that maybe one med school will look beyond the numbers and then interview me to see me for who I truly am, what I have done to rectify my past mistakes and how capable I am of handling the rigors of medical school. I am not expecting to get an interview at a top 40 school (I've only applied to one as my major reach) but I am hoping for some consideration at least in the other "reasonable" schools I've applied to (of course I know that there are no 'easy' schools to get into). Due to financial considerations, I was only able to apply to 9 schools and since my GPA is such a drawback, there really is no point in my applying to any more allopathic schools at this stage.

I am applying to osteopathic school as soon as I can get the money together for a few of them, not as a backup, but because I want to be a physician, period. MD/DO, it really doesn't matter, because I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing what schools I go to. The whole point of this post is that even though I have had terrible grades in undergrad (2.85 cumulative, less than that in BCMP, I'm sure), I am not letting this, or anyone else, dissuade me from pursuing for a career what it took me too long to decide. If I wasn't capable of succeeding in med school, I would've looked at other avenues a long time ago. One way or another, I'm going to get in, and if I have to re-apply next year, then I am prepared to do that (obviously with even stronger credentials). My application was as best as I could make it, and while there was obviously no hiding my GPA, I did say how I bettered myself as a student and a person through the years.

All this talk about a D being on a transcript automatically eliminating people like me from consideration is frustrating, not because I think it's crap (because I know how competitive it is and that people with better grades naturally should get more consideration), but because I am desperately trying to keep proving myself over and over. If this undergrad GPA is going to be a major hindrance all my life instead of what I can (and will) do, then I am at a loss for words. Whatever med school I (hopefully) attend, I will make them proud that I was a part of their institution. The numbers do not make a man, and I'm applying this cycle with the hope that at least one ad-com out there will see me for what I am and what I bring to the table.

At this point, it's all I can do, and I am prepared for the worst. However, I am just as dedicated to this as any of you are. If a D on my transcript gets me automatically rejected, then it's just the price I pay for being extremely lazy and unfocused in undergrad (too much partying, etc).

Hey, I wasn't criticizing you personally. I was just trying to be honest with you about the things I have been told. If you have shown an upward trend, well bravo.

But I know for a fact that some schools will NOT accept anything less than a C. You should call the schools in question. :luck:

No, I know you were speaking in general haha :) ; didn't mean to highlight you like that. I was talking about the tone of the thread really. Honesty is always a good thing, especially on a public forum, but in my situation, I can't let what other people say get to me too much. I believe that this particular course of action is the best one for me and I will see it to the end, no matter what happens as a result. Otherwise, I will spend my life wondering, "What if?" and have that regret (even though regrets are a waste of time, I know). This way, at least I'll know if I could've gotten in med school, having gone all-out after the decision was made.

I guess I should've called the schools in question before I submitted the primary haha, but it's too late right now so I'll just roll with the punches. If they reject me pre-secondary, then I'll use the money that I would've used for the secondary as 2 or so possible additional schools for MD or DO. No sense in worrying; it's like worrying about the weather. Can't do a thing right now -- the ball's in their court.

SDN is a valuable tool and full of great thoughts about the mysteries surrounding med school and the process of getting in but it isn't (and shouldn't be) my sole determination and basis for my opinions and what I should do. I take everything that's said with a grain of salt, but people like you guys do help. Thanks and I'll try to do my best (if accepted) to help out the people next year when they have the very same questions and comments that we have now, and yet do not know how to use the search feature hehe :rolleyes:

wut's with the attack and sarcasm towards Saccadics. I am the "friend" that asked Saccadics to post this question for me because for whatever reasons I could not post the thread on my own then.

I got a 11 on PS. I got a D in physics because I didnt study at all (and it was a calculus based physics). Everyone other science classes I got A+, As, and one A- (besides physics I).

All I wanted to ask was just some simple questions because I am a first time applicant, tyring to get some opinions from some more experienced people.

Thanks for those who replied. Mods feel free to close this thread.