What if you never took the SAT/ACT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm going to community college before transferring to a university, I escaped the SAT or ACT, and I hope to never take them. Will this matter? I asked my counselor and he told me that SAT (or ACT) scores are supposed to be an indicator of your success in college, but I'm now a sophmore in college with a 4.0 gpa (I think that ought to give them an idea). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Most applications could care less whether or not you took the SAT/ACT, but some(VCU, USUHS, can't remember any others) do. If you are doing well in college now(and continue the trend for a significant period of time) and you let the particular school know of your situation...things should work out just fine.

bpost137 said:
Since I'm going to community college before transferring to a university, I escaped the SAT or ACT, and I hope to never take them. Will this matter? I asked my counselor and he told me that SAT (or ACT) scores are supposed to be an indicator of your success in college, but I'm now a sophmore in college with a 4.0 gpa (I think that ought to give them an idea). Thoughts?

I was homeschooled for part of high school, took the GED, went to Community College, transferred to a small private University, earned a Bachelors (with a 4.0/4.0) and have interviewed at 2 medical schools so far. I never took the SAT or ACT.

So, to answer your question more succinctly, I don't think it matters at all. Perhaps if you wanted to attend a top 10 school--but seriously I don't think it will hurt you in getting in to a good school, especially if you explain the situation. I would suggest transferring to the best school you can get into after earning an associates degree, however. I say this from personal experience; I think this would have improved my application in adcom's eyes. When you transfer to a 4-year University they might still want to see your ACT/SAT scores though. Just something to keep in mind. You can call the schools you're interested in and they will be able to tell you whether or not they require these scores from transfer students with Junior standing. Best of Luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sure you still had to take the PSAT. I imagine those scores would be accepted in place of SAT for whatever reasons you need.

Every school I looked at (back when I wanted to tranfer) required either the ACT or SAT. Even if your CC didn't, most schools you transfer to will. They're a cakewalk anyway. The ACT is more fair; the SAT is a mind game.

Stupid Joe Bloggs. :cool: