What if your CV is lacking qualities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
and characteristics of a person who has done quite a bit of research. I'm considering taking a year off between 3rd and 4th year to do research. I've been emailing a few PIs and finding a few more from www.clinicaltrials.gov. Most are asking for a CV. I have no research experience, since I was never interested in it while in college.

Does this raise a red flag or a concern for the researcher? My resume is filled with my business which I started, the jobs which I had after college, and the pertinent college and medical school information.

Members don't see this ad.

It can, but I'd imagine that 90% of a lack of research could be compensated by selling yourself with good communication skills. Different story if it's a competitive year off research rotation with several applicants. Your CV is your CV, some will like it, others won't. However, I do think the majority of "winning them over" can be done with an enthusiastic attitude.

You don't have to answer but I would ask why you want to do a year off - to make yourself more competitive I suppose? Third year can be crazy busy but clinical research and case reports during this time is feasible and doable. I'd opt for trying to introduce yourself to several residents/faculty in your area of interest and see if they have available research, preferably non-laboratory (faster; examples: retrospective chart review, surveys, case reports).

With a year long project in a lab, it can be slow and you may not be able to churn out a paper in that time. Again, I'd strongly err towards fast clinical research, balanced with your clerkships. Studying time may decrease and grades may suffer but you'll save a year of your life.

PM or respond to thread for further elaborations/advice if interested.