What if you're denied?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCF Knight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is in regards not only to pharmacy, but to pretty much any professional/graduate school. What happens if you apply to a school, but get denied? I'll assume you want to re-apply for next year, but what do you do while you wait for 6 months or so if you already have your bachelors degree? Work is an option, but I doubt someone would hire a person to work for just 6 months. I'm just curious what my options would be other than just sitting around or volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

Really, you'd be waiting the whole year until next fall (generally) for matriculation.

The first thing I'd do is see if you can schedule an appointment with the school(s) that declined you, with the purpose of going over weaknesses in your application so you can rectify them. Then I'd do whatever they suggest.

Work experience or volunteering is a good start. Never turn down the opportunity for an interview - that's how you get better at it. :)

You also need to consider your student loans. Do you have classes that need to be retaken? That might be a good option, if you can figure out how to make it float & not have to pay on the loans yet. I have also seen people report they are going into a master's program (usually folks with a low GPA & rising trend that just didn't get there yet).

Personally, I would still try to stay in school, and focus on your weaknesses. If you didn't have your bachelor's yet.. finish it up and get it! Or apply to a masters program in the mean time. If your pre-req GPA is that bad.. retake the courses? I think it's important to stay in the school/study mode and not break from that for a year.. but just my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everything that Xtsukiyox said. Also, I'd like to emphasis two things:

1.) Retake any science classes that in which you did not get an A, and definitely retake any prerequisites where you received a C. It's okay to retake the class in a community college. Most pharmacy schools look favorably on individuals who retake B's and C's, and it figures into how some schools calculate your GPA.

2.) Take the PTCB (pharm tech) exam and try to find a spot as a pharmacy technician in any pharmacy. Schools love work experience. If you're deciding between working as a technician, working as a research assistant, or entering a graduate program, I would definitely take the pharmacy technician route. Pharmacy technician experience looks better than time as a research assistant (unless you're doing research that's directly related to pharmacy). They want someone who has spent time in a pharmacy and is familiar with the environment. They want someone who has job context and knows that they are comfortable with the prospect of becoming a pharmacist. Being a technician is most relevant to the profession. I would consider research or graduate school roles only if you can find research or positions that are about pharmacology or drug development. Otherwise, while research and graduate school show worth ethic and cognitive development, it doesn't prove that you are familiar with the pharmacy world.

Best of wishes.

--Garfield3d

I am also taking a year off because I was waitlisted - although there is still some chance of getting in, I know it is very slim :(

Right now, I only have pharm assistant license and finding a job as an assistant is hard ... Also thought about getting pharm tech license but in washington state passing the test isn't enough, I would need to attend school for about 10 months just to get a license. I plan to reapply this summer and hopefully get accepted to a school so wasn't sure if spending 10 months to get a pharm tech license would be worth it :(

I'm looking for job for after graduation (in June). I've applied to few retail pharmacies (but they didn't have an actual opening...). There is a pharm assistant opening at a hospital, but i think it is competitive... Also applied to few places at hospital but they are not at pharmacy.

Do you think these hospital experiences can substitute pharmacy experiences? :( Any thoughts?

I agree with everything that Xtsukiyox said. Also, I'd like to emphasis two things:

1.) Retake any science classes that in which you did not get an A, and definitely retake any prerequisites where you received a C. It's okay to retake the class in a community college. Most pharmacy schools look favorably on individuals who retake B's and C's, and it figures into how some schools calculate your GPA.

2.) Take the PTCB (pharm tech) exam and try to find a spot as a pharmacy technician in any pharmacy. Schools love work experience. If you're deciding between working as a technician, working as a research assistant, or entering a graduate program, I would definitely take the pharmacy technician route. Pharmacy technician experience looks better than time as a research assistant (unless you're doing research that's directly related to pharmacy). They want someone who has spent time in a pharmacy and is familiar with the environment. They want someone who has job context and knows that they are comfortable with the prospect of becoming a pharmacist. Being a technician is most relevant to the profession. I would consider research or graduate school roles only if you can find research or positions that are about pharmacology or drug development. Otherwise, while research and graduate school show worth ethic and cognitive development, it doesn't prove that you are familiar with the pharmacy world.

Best of wishes.

--Garfield3d