what if......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snaangirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!
i gotta question and would love to hear everyones opinion... what if gpa sucks (like high 2's ) and my DAT is fairly good like 22/23pat. do u think that schools will so kindly disregard my lousy gpa???
thanks!
snaangirl :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

A few schools will want to see both a high GPA and DAT period. For the remainder, there is no simple answer to your question. What is the trend of your GPA over the years (up, down, up/down, or steady)? How are your recommendations? Do have significant exposure/experience in the dental professions? Did you have to deal with extenuating circumstances while in school (work, sickness, family tragedy etc)?

Your DAT scores are excellent, so you will likely get serious consideration at many schools. I would say you have a good chance, but the manner in which most schools finally put together their acceptance recipes is sort of a mystery.

Groundhog is right admission is a mystery. You can increase your chances by having several components:
-good gpa
-good DAT
-good leadership skills
-good understanding of dentistry (volunteer)
-good recommendations
-good interview/personality/ethics/morals
-good manual dexterity (hobbies etc...)
-good personal statement
etc...
They all play a major role in their decision to accept you. Obviously having a decent DAT score helps but definitely doesn't seal your fate. I would work on bringing up your gpa and apply to several schools. I know of a couple of friends that had great DAT scores but failed to get in-----for one reason or another. Good luck.

R.R.B