What if?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcdoc107

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if you won the lottery and no longer had to work for a living, would you still attend med school? As much as I want to become a doctor the choice for me is easy. HELL NO!

Members don't see this ad.

That would be a nice problem to have!

For me - yes, I still would do it. My motivation for going into medicine is based partly on being able to provide a comfortable life and a good education for my family. I definitely don't want to be poor, but I could accomplish the same in other professions. My decision is based much more on my experiences over several years in South America with many people in need of medical care. If I won the lottery I'd still go to medical school and become a doctor but it would significantly cut the number of years I would actually practice before retiring and roaming the world where my services could be used.

I would. No doubt about it. Medicine for me not going to be a job. It is about making a difference in the world, one life at a time. That may be a glamorized view of medicine. But for me, that is what it is about. The lottery would be nice because it would take a lot of financial stress off your life, but it would be very fulfilling. Medicine will be fulfilling. You get one life to live and I think you should make a difference with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely still go to medical school, but I will probably work part-time when I finish though..or open my own clinics with all my accumlated $$$

Originally posted by jcdoc107
What if you won the lottery and no longer had to work for a living, would you still attend med school? As much as I want to become a doctor the choice for me is easy. HELL NO!

Sure as hell would make the interview question of, "How do you expect to finance your medical school education?", a hell of a lot easier! :D

I know that everybody says that they would still go to med school because they want to make a difference in peoples lives. However, I feel that I could make a greater difference by using my winnings to start charities, raise money for research, etc. I understand everyone's desire to help others but lets face it med school, residency and medicine in general takes a toll on an individual both mentally and physically. I would be willing to bet that if you asked most residents this question many of them would say they would leave the profession tomorrow. As for the ones that say they would stay I'm sure many of their attitudes would change once they got the money in hand.

I would still go to med school. I think it would make med school a lot easier, because all of the stress from having so much debt would be gone. I would be bored out of my mind and unhappy if I didn't have something to work for. Yes starting charities, etc would be good, but it is really just pushing money around, there is no healing the sick, etc. Providing healthcare gives rewards that can not be found anywhere else.

I definitely would. The best part about it would be that I wouldn't have to worry about loans. Without the constraints of loans, I would probably devote myself to helping the poor in the US and in India and probably with Doctors without Borders.

I know that everybody says that they would still go to med school because they want to make a difference in peoples lives. However, I feel that I could make a greater difference by using my winnings to start charities, raise money for research, etc. I understand everyone's desire to help others but lets face it med school, residency and medicine in general takes a toll on an individual both mentally and physically. I would be willing to bet that if you asked most residents this question many of them would say they would leave the profession tomorrow. As for the ones that say they would stay I'm sure many of their attitudes would change once they got the money in hand.

for me, it's about being the person who is able to do the research and make the difference, not just be the person who supports it financially. i would use that money to first pay for med school, and than start that free clinic i always wanted to.

Becoming a doctor is mostly about personal satisfaction for me. So lottery or no, I'd still go. Probably give half the money away to charity anyway. Pay off loans, eat great, then Keep the rest and let it accumulate interest to be set for a really fun retirement.

i'd still go to med school... and following my residency, i suppose i'd work for a solid 15-20 hours/wk. :D

I'd still go to med school, but I guess my state schools wouldn't be as appealing then. ;)

absolutely, I'd just party that much harder after exams... Break out the DOM!

I would still go to med school just to have something to do. It would be nice attending med school knowing that you have a nice financial safety net should you come to hate it.