What immuno book for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whournameiz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is HY for immuno any good? I know the immuno section of BRS is good but I'm not sure if it is worth buying the whole book for just the immuno section. Any suggestions on books?

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Is HY for immuno any good? I know the immuno section of BRS is good but I'm not sure if it is worth buying the whole book for just the immuno section. Any suggestions on books?

Thanx

if u have a basic background in immuno, i would just levinson's micro and immuno book. the last 100 pages or so are pretty good for immuno

do u think the year 2000 version is that much different than the 2006 version?

its like 5bucks for the 2000 version...immunology cant change that much can it?!

Members don't see this ad :)
i am reading the hy book right now. the graphs have way too much details. They are not high yield at all. This book has some unnecessary details. For example, it has one big paragraph on different influenza vaccine strains from "advisory committtee on immunization practice, mmwr 2004:53 1-40." And it has select CD antigens on immune cells from CD1 all the way to CD 89 on two pages.

and some of the sentences are wordy and hard to understand, for example, "antigenic drift results from mutations in the RNA segment coding for either of the major membrane antigens." That could be broken into two parts, so they can be better understood.

It does have some good information especially the last few chapters, but you can't possibly remember everything in the book, it has too many details.

I would just get "How the Immune System Works" by Sompayrac, and then study the Immuno section in first aid. If you have any trouble on practice questions after studying these 2 sources, which you probably won't, then you can use something more comprehensive like Levinson.

Just to throw another option into the mix, there is a Rapid Review Immuno/Micro, as well. I'm only using them in courses, not for Step I, but I've found some of the RR very good ie Path, Biochem, Neuro; I haven't heard anything about the Immuno.

IMO, Kaplan Immuno is terrible. I was going to go w/HY, but after flipping through it I realized it wasn't very good either. Jeebus recommended Lange (Levinson) Micro and Immuno. I haven't started the Immuno section yet, but if it's as good as the micro section, it should be completely sufficient.

KAPLAN immuno lec is by dr dondunn...5.5 hours of video and i feel pretty good and have nailed every question in all of the banks with it.
for me its a big deal..coz i could not even spell i-m-u-n-e-o:D when i started.
just my 2 cents.
later

Thanx

...what about the immunology section out of Micro Recall?

I would suggest "Medical Microbiology and Immunology: Examination and Board Review" by Levinson and Jawetz. You can get an older edition for cheap and it's a great 100 page read for immunology. Best that I've seen for immunology.

do u think the year 2000 version is that much different than the 2006 version?

its like 5bucks for the 2000 version...immunology cant change that much can it?!

I have the 2000 version of Levinson's Micro and Immunology and although I haven't seen the 2006 version this edition has been solid and consistent with what I learned during class. I would go with an older edition and save money.

Okay great! I'm def leaning towards the levinson as I keep hearing mixed things about high yield, kaplan, etc.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for al lthe previous advice!