What improvements would you like to see in the Application/Interview Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a very interesting thread!

Where I'm coming from:
Paid out of my own pocket for 30 schools, and interviewing at 8 schools. I live in the northwest (rain city) and 7 out of the 8 interviews are on the eastern seaboard (NYC, Pitt, DC, etc). LOTS of flights. I haven't counted how many dollars i've spent on the process, instead I just chug along with working 3 jobs to make ends meet. That all being said, I consider myself really fortunate to be sitting with the opportunities I have, so while I could complain...I technically can't. lol. But I might have some suggestions. lol

So, with the discussion about dollars spent on interviewing, YES. i wholeheartedly agree the money situation blows.

HOWEVER, I will admit visiting a school is very important. In fact, I think the whole electronic interview process is not a great idea. I think every school I visited did not hold true to my own prejudice, and it really took a visit for me to see what the school is like, so I can determine for myself if its a good fit. (This also helps you in the interview as well, if you get to tour around before it...) Sure, I might save some money in the process with e-interviews, but I think you really don't know a school until you visit it. For example, a school that was my top choice turned out to be a flop, and two schools that I doubted would be a good fit turned out to be otherwise.

From where I am and how taxing it is to fly out all the gawsh darn times, I would prefer some transparency when decisions/interviews are made. For example, I got into this situation a couple times where i booked a hotel and flight for an interview and realized two days later I have another interview 2 days after the first one. I wanted to save money and got non-refundable hotels and flights...had I known a decision was going to be possibly made, that might have helped. Granted, I know I might be in the stack where "no decision is made" for that time, but it definitely would've helped to know how long i should wait before i start booking tickets.

The "we've chosen your interview date" thing needs to go. The inability to schedule/coordinate makes it sound like everyone applying has nothing better to do and is wealthy enough to hop on a plane whenever regardless how much it costs. To share a story: One of my interviews...so happens to be on the Tuesday after thanksgiving where flying out on monday is logistically impossible, and flying out on Sunday...or Saturday...yeah...500-700 bux for a one-way trip?! Are you kidding me?

I almost feel like when they ask me "Why XXXXX?", I'll say, "Well, I did fly out here on the Sunday after thanksgiving, didn't I?! :laugh:

I don't think the system will crash and fall apart if people are given the opportunity to schedule their interviews one month in advance. Not to mention, I dunno if schools honestly hold true to the "we're also trying to win you over to our school" line, but by not allowing students to choose their dates really shows their true colors.

I'm okay with regional interviews, but I still think visiting a school is definitely worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very interesting thread!

Where I'm coming from:
Paid out of my own pocket for 30 schools, and interviewing at 8 schools. I live in the northwest (rain city) and 7 out of the 8 interviews are on the eastern seaboard (NYC, Pitt, DC, etc). LOTS of flights. I haven't counted how many dollars i've spent on the process, instead I just chug along with working 3 jobs to make ends meet. That all being said, I consider myself really fortunate to be sitting with the opportunities I have, so while I could complain...I technically can't. lol. But I might have some suggestions. lol

So, with the discussion about dollars spent on interviewing, YES. i wholeheartedly agree the money situation blows.

HOWEVER, I will admit visiting a school is very important. In fact, I think the whole electronic interview process is not a great idea. I think every school I visited did not hold true to my own prejudice, and it really took a visit for me to see what the school is like, so I can determine for myself if its a good fit. (This also helps you in the interview as well, if you get to tour around before it...) Sure, I might save some money in the process with e-interviews, but I think you really don't know a school until you visit it. For example, a school that was my top choice turned out to be a flop, and two schools that I doubted would be a good fit turned out to be otherwise.

From where I am and how taxing it is to fly out all the gawsh darn times, I would prefer some transparency when decisions/interviews are made. For example, I got into this situation a couple times where i booked a hotel and flight for an interview and realized two days later I have another interview 2 days after the first one. I wanted to save money and got non-refundable hotels and flights...had I known a decision was going to be possibly made, that might have helped. Granted, I know I might be in the stack where "no decision is made" for that time, but it definitely would've helped to know how long i should wait before i start booking tickets.

The "we've chosen your interview date" thing needs to go. The inability to schedule/coordinate makes it sound like everyone applying has nothing better to do and is wealthy enough to hop on a plane whenever regardless how much it costs. To share a story: One of my interviews...so happens to be on the Tuesday after thanksgiving where flying out on monday is logistically impossible, and flying out on Sunday...or Saturday...yeah...500-700 bux for a one-way trip?! Are you kidding me?

I almost feel like when they ask me "Why XXXXX?", I'll say, "Well, I did fly out here on the Sunday after thanksgiving, didn't I?! :laugh:

I don't think the system will crash and fall apart if people are given the opportunity to schedule their interviews one month in advance. Not to mention, I dunno if schools honestly hold true to the "we're also trying to win you over to our school" line, but by not allowing students to choose their dates really shows their true colors.

I'm okay with regional interviews, but I still think visiting a school is definitely worth it.

You should read the, "Looking back as a fourth year thread" to see what is really important about a medical school. e-interviews/regional interviews ftw.

I would prefer a single exam such as MCAT, LOR and Interview. Throw away GPA. You can't really treat GPA from Caltech vs Pasadena City College/Occidental College on the same footing. Make MCAT tough: have four 3 hour long exams that tests the subject matter deeper than current MCAT.

For Example that is done here:

http://aipmt.nic.in/aipmt2011/aipmt/welcome.html

;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would prefer a single exam such as MCAT, LOR and Interview. Throw away GPA. You can't really treat GPA from Caltech vs Pasadena City College/Occidental College on the same footing. Make MCAT tough: have four 3 hour long exams that tests the subject matter deeper than current MCAT.

For Example that is done here:

http://aipmt.nic.in/aipmt2011/aipmt/welcome.html

;)

That is a no go.

Regarding the interview process, something that I think could be implemented and when I applied for Teach for America is something that they do is that after the application, you get a phone interview and then if you pass the phone interview then you have a personal face to face interview.

I think med schools could easily do a two stage interview process where you have phone/Skype interviews first and then from there determine which interviewees do you want to bring on to your school for a formal interview. It would definitely cut the costs for everyone, and is something I'm surprised med schools haven't looked at.

Speaking of offensive interview/class size ratios, how about Hofstra? 800 interviews for 40 spots last year, and I think 650 interviews for 60 spots this year.

You can't really treat GPA from Caltech vs Pasadena City College/Occidental College on the same footing.
;)

med school adcoms aren't stupid...they take into account the fact that not all colleges are created equal... they know that the competition at top tier schools is far greater than other schools and look at your GPA through that lens

Speaking of offensive interview/class size ratios, how about Hofstra? 800 interviews for 40 spots last year, and I think 650 interviews for 60 spots this year.

well they know their yield is going to be terrible for the first few years so they might have to offer spots to way more than 60 people to fill their class

Or we just all be reasonable and realize that the medical schools are making bread off this... The likelihood that schools will tailor to students' needs by cutting down on exposure of their schools is not high. The bread is not only $ but a chance to show the school/facilities off. It's not like it's just a regular visit...