What information does a letter writer need to include?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheEpicFruitCake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, one of my letter writers is writing his first recommendation letter and asked me to make sure I tell him what needs to be on the letter.
I know there needs to be an official university letter head + his signature on there but am unsure of what else he needs to include.
I am submitting via interfolio for this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of content I think they should definitely include their position (professor, lab professor, advisor, etc), what class they taught, and just generally convey to the adcoms that you are strong enough academically to handle dental school. I also asked my writers to include my passion for dentistry as well as always acting professionally.

I was thinking more of formal things rather than content. EX: the letterhead of the university

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of content I think they should definitely include their position (professor, lab professor, advisor, etc), what class they taught, and just generally convey to the adcoms that you are strong enough academically to handle dental school. I also asked my writers to include my passion for dentistry as well as always acting professionally.
An lor writer is not required to submit his/her's CV.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of formal things rather than content. EX: the letterhead of the university

Ahh, got it. In that case the official letterhead and signature were the only things my school's committee said was necessary for the letter.

An lor writer is not required to submit his/her's CV.

Obviously...but to the OP, these were just guidelines from my school's committee, lor writers can include whatever they want.

Reactions: 1 user