Quantcast

What inspired you to go into Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious what inspired people in this forum.

shinsplinter

Reaction score
Personally, I just became fascinated with anatomy in general back in seventh grade when I did my first dissection (even though it was only a frog). Since then I have really been digging deep and getting blown away by the complexity of the human body...

meklorka

Reaction score
Im in psych, not medicine per se but I don't want to see this thread die because I think its an interesting question and want to hear what others say.

Basically because of racial-socioeconomic issues I didn't have access to services I need as a kid. Everyone from social workers to psychologists just utterly failed me. I was in an abusive home and (unlike today where CPS seems to love to unfairly target people of color) no one seemed to care about my welfare or that my life was being threatened regularly. Psychologists never reported the abuse... teachers never reported it... social workers never reported it... but the police took me away almost every week, took me to a receiving home and then brought me back, often the next day. Most of the time they seemed to spend more time sexually harassing my mother or saying racist things than actually investigating what was going on. And when I was repeatedly given back to my mother the excuse was that foster families didn't want multiracial kids, though from the demographics of who got foster homes and who didn't, it seemed like foster parents just did not want kids of any color but white. When I did finally get placed in a foster home I was treated as a farm laborer - if I didn't get a certain amount of work done each day I didn't get to eat or sleep inside. Never got new clothes and all the money the government was paying these people just went to financing their drug dealing, which I had to be a witness/unwilling participant to (I got to be the "back up driver" in case my foster father got shot... at the age of nine). I lucked out - a lot of kids I grew up with, including my own siblings, have really messed up lives now. I still live in a working class, multiracial neighborhood and many of my friends and neighbors here really need psychological help and have sought help but end up having all the racism they experienced their whole lives perpetuated in therapy and end up dropping out. I wanted to go into psychology because it seemed really important to me to offer help to adolescents/young adults who grew up in the kind of poverty and trauma I did instead of letting them get reamed by the system as I did.

devilpup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The film Patch Adams inspired me a lot...

Last edited:

GOMERE

Reaction score
The FAT MAN and Dr. Basch. And of course the GOMERS and GOMERES. Good book got me going

Haislip

Hot to Trot
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly. it is just something I always wanted to do since like 4ish.

Yonko Shanks

Reaction score
Probably the fact that I grew up in a third world country where no one had available medical care and I saw that everyone around me died because of that reason. I decided I will become a Doctor and make sure those who are less fortunate have a chance unlike those around me. Primary care ftw!

Haislip

Hot to Trot
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
that's very noble of you guys!

Yemenderdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I grew up as a refugee in another third world country than that of my origin, with virtually little to no access to health care. Personal suffering and the fact that I watched helpessly as my family, friends and neighbors died of easily preventable diseases has been an image that I can't get out of my head. I never thought I would ever get to a point where I am aspiring to be a Physican, but now that I am here.....I'm going all the way.

Ansar

En el camino aprendí
Reaction score
My parents being in medicine always talked about their jobs at dinner table or in random family hanging out...always seemed interesting. Plus, how the body works is something that fascinates me.

Being able to help out other Hispanics is also something I'd like to do :)

My experiences joining my high school's health careers academy from 05-08 really sparked my desire to work in medicine. I got to shadow doctors, spend some time in hospitals, learn some terminology, and do other medically-related tasks. It was AWESOME.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Probably the fact that I grew up in a third world country where no one had available medical care and I saw that everyone around me died because of that reason. I decided I will become a Doctor and make sure those who are less fortunate have a chance unlike those around me. Primary care ftw!
The same thing attracted me to medicine as well...Hence, I am using that in my personal statement...I am also 100% set to do primary care (family medicine or internal medicine).

Yonko Shanks

Reaction score
The same thing attracted me to medicine as well...Hence, I am using that in my personal statement...I am also 100% set to do primary care (family medicine or internal medicine).

I am leaning towards internal medicine. But I do love pediatrics so I will be looking for med/peds residencies. I'm hoping to open up a free clinic one day.

iave9963

Knuckles
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What inspired me to go into medicine was the fact that lower income individuals, minorities and non minorities alike, did not have access to quality care. A cliche response, but once you have seen the aftermath effects of this first hand, S*** get's real :(

afelix524

Reaction score
I always wanted to be a Doctor, for as long as I can remember. I grew up wanting to cure cancer until I was about 8, then the fascination of helping bring new life into this world took over. I "helped" deliver my twin brothers when I was 15, and now I still have that same torch burning. Even though I royally messed up at times, I am still determined to be an Ob/Gyn and then hopefully a Reproductive Endocrinologist(which I recently wanted to do due to my health problems). :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Lollygag

I'm a girl
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My high school teacher had a seizure in the middle of our class. I hated the feeling of not knowing what to do.. and even though this may sound really messed up, I was very intrigued by the fact that the human brain could just "shut down" like that and then come right back to normal function after a few minutes.

That, and I heard that the 2nd most complex thing in the universe is the human brain-- I like a challenge ;)

Drogo

hakuna matata
Reaction score
I am constantly perplexed and amused by the complexities of the human body. Especially in the physiological sense, the body intrigues my curiosity in a major way. Also as an aside, I have seen my mother deal first-hand with great physicians and not-so-great ones. She has been dealing with ulcerative colitis for a very long time now and I have had to sit right by her side many heart-wrenching times in the hospital. Seeing things from her side and seeing how big of an impact a great physician makes has pushed me to pursue medicine. Last but not least only about 6 or so of every 100 medical school graduates is Latino. I would have to imagine only 2-3 of every 100 graduates is of a Mexican/Mexican-American background.

So these are my justified reasons. Also where are my Latinos at?! I've been on SDN for a good little while now and it seems like I rarely encounter any other Latinos pursuing this goal as well. Speak up!!:cool:

hugsnki33e3

Reaction score
I like to help people hehe

well actually there isn't really an AHA! moment. Im afraid i wont be able to express why properly in my personal statement. I was interested after taking A&P in high school but i thought being a doctor would be too long so i wanted to do nursing but i hung out with many smart pre-meds in college and they influenced me alot and helped build my confidence I realized that the reason i didn't want to do medicine wasn't because of the time frame but because i didnt believe i was smart enough to be a doctor. So my friends definitely played a huge part and also my love of science. There are other things I can list but then I'll risk writing out my whole personal statement o here lol

hugsnki33e3

Reaction score
I Just reread my above comment. For the grammar nazis: I was in a rush and I don't really feel like editing.