SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What interviews has everyone gotten?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by saffron, Aug 9, 2001.

1. saffron

saffron Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2001
    nyc
    i thought it would be good to have a thread with where people are getting interviews...that way, we could see what schools are already processing applications and sending out invitations, etc.

as for me...i just got my first interview notice for Tulane on Sept. 10th! i know a couple other people also have tulane interviews, and a couple people have received interviews at tx. tech and ut houston...anyone else so far??

also, does anyone know how many people tulane interviews, and how many they end up taking? maybe i'll see some of you that weekend... :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Tulane. Sept 14. Good luck with yours.

4. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned Banned

Nov 5, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Got one for UTMB Galveston Aug. 17th. Someone else on this board got an invite from Michigan.

5. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2001
    CA
    Tulane 800 interviews i think.

6. Hi guys

congrats on the interviews....quick question...I asked Tulane if my application was complete and they said it was complete on July 25th. She/He didn't mention anything else, and I was wondering, does this mean I got rejected? :(

cuz apparently, they notify via email as well to all the applicants...I'd rather have you guys be honest...becuase Tulane isn't my first choice anyway...just wanted to know if I had a chance or not, just to have something to fall back on....but apparently I guess I dont...oh well :( I guess I should get used to letters of rejection......

7. saffron

Jul 3, 2001
    nyc
    watcha- don't worry, it probably means they haven't decided one way or the other on your app. you know, its funny, i didn't get an email about my app. or a app. complete notice. i called the lady to check the status of my app and she told me i got an interview...she said the letter was mailed out mon., so its weird that i haven't gotten it by now. anyway, i wouldnt worry yet, esp. since its nto your first choice.

cuinmedschool- they interview 800? for an entering class of im guessing 120 or so? so the odds arent that great...oh well...but i'm guessing they accept >120 because not everyone who gets an acceptance will go to tulane. so maybe they accept like 200 or so.

8. Hopkins2010

Nov 5, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    you think 800 is bad, UTMB interviews over 1200 people from what I've heard.

9. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Hey Saffron,

Congrats on the interview!

I am starting at Tulane tomorrow (gosh, that sounds so good), so I just played that interview game a year ago.

They interview about 800 for 150 spots. They accept close to 400. And they love the waiting list (they call it "acceptance range"). I think you can check the web page for the class profile.

The interview here is really a lot of fun and laid back. No real questions, they just want to see who you are. It was really a fun experience.

So, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to E-Mail me. Have fun and good luck!

Simul
    Tulane University
    T1 (hehe, I love that)

10. thanks saffron :( oh well....

11. Georgey

Aug 1, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Watcha..Tulane said my application was regarded as complete on 8/3. My interview has been scheduled for 9/14. I haven't received anything in the mail. Just because I felt like nothing was happening out there on the admissions front I decided to email the admissions office to see if they received my letters of rec. This is what they came back with:

Dear George,
    Your application was completed on August 3, 2001. You will be receiving a letter inviting you for an interview on September 14, 2001.
    Sincerely

Admissions Committee

Like I said, I haven't received anything in the mail so it's possible that your interview letter is just sitting in your local post office and you'll get it tommorrow. Good luck.

12. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2001
    This may sound odd to alot of y'all, as it did to me when I found out.
    But I've already got an interview scheduled at U-Michigan and I just submitted my AMCAS on July 30th...it has not yet been processed or transmitted.
    On Tuesday I got the email notifying me of a secondary application and the procedures for sending in letters of rec. I had problems logging on to my secondary, so I called up the admissions office. I was helped out with the secondary and also informed that an interview notification was coming in the mail and congratulated on getting an interview. I was a little confused and skeptical at first because I had heard about the email interview notification that turned out to be a glitch. Sure enough though, the interview notification came that day. I called when I got it and scheduled an interview for September 21.
    I thought that this was pretty bizarre as I didn't even expect to be hearing about secondaries from schools for several more weeks, let alone interviews. I was told by the admissions rep I talked to that they received some information on applicants that was sent out early--academic stats and contact info...probably these one page summary things so many people have been talking about. And at U-M, they're taking people with qualifying stats for interviews. Sounds like they are just really itching to stay on schedule and get some things moving while they wait for complete files from AMCAS.
    So needless to say I'm really excited about this interview because U-M is one heck of a medical school. :D

13. Hopkins2010

Nov 5, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    szk,

congrats on the Michigan interview. I was one of those afflicted with the computer glitch.

By the way, I emailed Katie Horne, the director of admissions at Michigan, and she specifically stated that they had received my full, complete, electronically transmitted AMCAS. So the transmission process should be working at this school at least.

Good luck, Michigan is a great school.

14. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    CA
    Wow, it seems like those fears about the application process becoming a numbers game due to the AMCAS situation may be true.

15. Thanks Gregory, but I didn't get a mail either...

I asked via email and they said my application was complete july 25th...: :( I kind of felt sad...it seems via email they reply to pple and mention whether or not they get interviews....so I guess I didnt' get one...oh well I guess I should get used to rejections and not take them so personally.... :( I'm scared of opening the mail now cuz it might be a rejection letter... :( snif snif oh well, cross my fingers for the other schools....this is such a emotionally withdrawing process....four years comes down to writing checks, interviews and rejection letters...gosh

16. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2001
    watchmacallit, relax! just because tulane doesn't offer you an interview now doesn't mean that they're rejecting you right off the bat and won't offer you an interview later. they'll be interviewing all the way through next year, so you'll have plenty of chances! you're taking this all way too personally! :D

17. saffron

Jul 3, 2001
    nyc
    thanks simuld, it's good to hear the interview is laid back...what kinds of questions do they ask? so if you get an interview, 50% chance of being accepted...not bad.

oh, you know what sucks, i haven't heard anything from the tx. schools yet...maybe its because i submitted my app late...oh well

ok, so here is a list so far of schools graning interviews as of 8/10:

UT Houston
    Tx. Tech
    Tulane
    U. Michigan

anyone else?

18. saffron

Jul 3, 2001
    nyc
    thanks simuld, it's good to hear the interview is laid back...what kinds of questions do they ask? so if you get an interview, 50% chance of being accepted...not bad.

oh, you know what sucks, i haven't heard anything from the tx. schools yet...maybe its because i submitted my app late...oh well

ok, so here is a list so far of schools graning interviews as of 8/10:

UT Houston
    Tx. Tech
    Tulane
    U. Michigan

anyone else?

19. Resident Alien

Resident Alien What? 7+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Cleveland
    I thought the U. Michigan interview stuff was a false alarm.

20. Hopkins2010

Nov 5, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    It was a false alarm for 2 of us, but theres another poster who got a genuine interview invitation thru the mail.

21. Resident Alien

Jul 21, 2001
    Cleveland
    o-o and i havent even heard from Michigan yet....**gulp** and to think my app wasnt that bad. :confused:

22. MacGyver

MacGyver Banned Banned

Aug 8, 2001
    Well, I wouldnt worry yet. So you never got a single email from Michigan at all?

Has your app been processed yet? Michigan is using electronic transmission but they should direct you to their secure URL when they get your app.

23. Resident Alien

Jul 21, 2001
    Cleveland
    Nope never got one from them, and my app. hasnt been processed yet. I got e-mails from Cincinnati and Yale though. (AMCAS shows Michigan got my app on 24th July)
    Confused summarizes my situation.

24. sandflea

Jun 23, 2001
    my app was processed on 8/7 and i haven't heard from michigan yet either. but i seem to hear from schools several days after everyone else so i'm not too worried.

does anyone have any idea how heavily they screen? maybe i'm just not eligible for a secondary. :(

25. I emailed U. Michigan last week and the lady there told me that the school emails people a few days/weeks after their info has been verified (processed) by AMCAS.

26. sandflea

Jun 23, 2001
    well, i haven't gotten a verification email from AMCAS yet--the only reason i know my app's been processed is because a date and little marks next to my grades show up on my printout--so i'm still going to keep my fingers crossed.

27. MacGyver

MacGyver Banned Banned

Aug 8, 2001
    sandflea,

I'm almost positive that Michigan DOES NOT screen for access to their secondary. I looked on their website and they say nothing about screening, plus my numbers are not spectacular and I got an invite to fill out the secondary.

If anything, AMCAS is holding you back from getting a Michigan secondary.

28. bobcat

bobcat Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2001
    Tulane

8/10

8:15 a.m.!!!!!

I hope my brain is working then. When is everyone else's interview at Tulane?

29. kafka79

kafka79 Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Illinois
    Just got a letter from Columbia today (dated Aug 10) requesting an interview Sept 4. I realize P&S interviews a relatively large number of applicants, but, hey, I am still excited as hell to get the interview! BTW, I just completed my application with Columbia a little over a week ago.

30. 6-8 Weeks

Jul 9, 2001
    CA

Congrats! Columbia is a fabulous school and in a cool city too. GOOD LUCK and don't forget to check out www.interviewfeedback.com!

31. moo

moo 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2000
    kafka, would you mind posting your stats??? I'm so excited about Columbia!!!

32. Georgey

Aug 1, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Bobcat, My Tulane interview is on 9/17. They emailed a date of 9/14, and then sent me a letter saying it was on 9/17. I'm trying to change it back to 9/14 since I already arranged with my boss to take that day off. Are you going with the date they gave you or are you trying to change it? I'm little distressed over it all. I've checked out interviewfeedback.com and they seem pretty cool about working with you. I'd love to hear it from a current applicant though.

33. coop

coop Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2001
    just got an interview to pitt today, haven't sent in my secondary (haven't recieved it yet) but they got my amcas and offered me an interview based on it. (submitted amcas 7/8, transmitted to pitt 7/19)

34. bobcat

bobcat Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2001
    Georgey,

I am actually sticking with the date I was given for my Tulane interview. However, I don't think they will care if you change the date if you do it soon.

35. saffron

Jul 3, 2001
    nyc
    as of today, i still haven't gotten the letter in the mail for my tulane interview which was mailed over a week ago. i called the lady and she said that she would send another copy which i should get by the end of the week. :( geez, the postal service is pretty slow and unreliable...

in the meantime, are you guys going to fly into new orleans the night before since the interview stuff starts at 8:15 in the morning? or are you going to just fly in that day? also, did the letter say anything about how we can get in touch with med students to stay with them while we are there?

thanks everyone...and keep the interview notices coming :cool:

36. coop

Mar 4, 2001
    i just got an email today from pritzker offering me 7 dates in september to choose from for my interview. I wasn't expecting to hear anything for quite a while and all of a sudden i have 2 interviews, I'm exstatic, though quite suprised.

37. emdeetwobee

emdeetwobee Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2001
    I have both interview offers from U Pitt and Columbia, although I haven't scheduled them yet. I was banking on waiting for other NY and PA schools so that I can schedule the interviews accordingly and get the most out of my fares. Is this wise?

38. Georgey

Aug 1, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Emdeet...Just wondering when you got notification that your Columbia was complete? I haven't received word that mine is complete, but I when I do it would be nice to know the turn around time.

PS Just wanted to tell you that your signature is hilarious. I certiantly don't want to piss off any women here, but I just had to say that I spent fifty bucks and eight hours yesterday in gas driving from Austin to Dallas to pick up my girlfriend of tow years (ex-girlfriend as of this morning) because she missed her connecting flight and she didn't want to have to pay for a hotel room. The whole time she knew she was going to break up with me and she still asked me to do the drive AND pay for it all. Hell, she didn't even stay awake on the ride home. For some reason your signature really hit home.

39. moo

Jul 4, 2000
    coop, would you mind posting your stats or leaving me a Private Message? DId they send you a verification that your app was complete?

40. coop

Mar 4, 2001
    moo and scooby doo, I have a 3.8 from hopkins (oa and bcpm) and a 36. I guess I've just had a good couple of days, there must be many others out there with these invites (or at least there will be soon) since pitt and prit ;) want to start interviewing 9/10 and 9/4, respectively. I've heard of 3 now with pitt, anyone else get a pritzker invite? its a good sign (even if you don't have an invite yet) that the process is underway despite all the amcas crap. good luck to all

41. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    This process really worries me because now the date that you submitted does not matter at all! All that matters is who is on top of things by sending everything to the different schools. People who don't send their application to every school then will be left behind. I keep telling my one friend about this site to have him start getting going on his apps but he is waiting for paper copies or emails from every school.
    What percent of the applicants (who apply to a good deal of schools) do you guys think look at this site? maybe 1% or is it more like 10%??

42. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2001
    CA
    Hi emdee,

I wouldn't wait too long to schedule the interviews. You can definitely do NY and PA on the same trip. If you have to come back later, then so be it. Remember that if you interview early, you'll be one of the first applicants the Adcom sees AND you will receive a decision (interim or final) most likely within 1-3 months (varies widely depending on the school). So, the longer you wait, the longer you'll have to wait for a decision. Believe me, once you interview, you want to KNOW the decision. It can also help you decide whether to accept later interview offers from schools you might not be as interested in (i.e., if you've already been accepted somewhere you like). I am in CA and had 5 interviews in the East and one in the Midwest. I was lucky to schedule some of the interviews close together, but I had to make 2 trips to the East Coast and a separate one to the Midwest. It adds up, but if these are schools you like, it is worth it to interview earlier and make a return trip for other schools later. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

-- Becky

43. 6-8 Weeks

Jul 9, 2001
    CA
    I think more like 5% is a good number. Less than 1% participate though, others watch.

On a side note, I got the Pitt secondary today, no interview it seems.
    :( . My numbers aren't up to par probably, but heck, I will rock them in my essays and hopefully the interview. :D

44. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    hmm, I have pretty strong numbers (38, 4.0) and applied to both chicago and pitt. Mailed in the pitt secondary yesterday. Should I be worried that I haven't heard any clue of an interview invite? Also, anybody know what's up with Stanford and/or Michigan? I still haven't heard from either of them, though I know lots of you guys completed the secondaries and stuff via secure URLs. Am I the only one not getting this stuff?

45. MacGyver

MacGyver Banned Banned

Aug 8, 2001
    grasshopper, I have the same MCAT and a slightly lower GPA and havent gotten a secondary from Pitt, much less an interview.
    Of course, I only mailed the printed AMCAS to them about a week ago, so I guess it takes awhile for them to screen.

I didnt apply to Stanford, but have completed the Michigan secure online app. Michigan is using electronic transmission, so they wont get your AMCAS until your app has completed processing.

I wouldnt worry too much yet. Give it a couple of weeks and then i would be worried.

46. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think all you guys/gals with 36+ MCATS and 3.7+ GPAs should just chill out about the apps. Do not worry. This year's application process favors those with high numbers. Schools don't have time to look at everything closely so us lowly applicants with low scores and GPAs are the ones who are in trouble. I can't help but post this after reading all of your stats. Good luck to all.

47. prometheus

prometheus Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2001
    I agree. I was banking on my activities and personal statements to help me out but thanks to AMCAS, I'm pretty much sunk this year. Anyway, good luck everyone.

48. moo

Jul 4, 2000
    coop I've got similar stats to you. Did you send in or email your printed app to them? I'm guessing you must've but they only asked for it a few days ago. How can they make a decision so fast? Oh well, I'll be checking my mail in the next few days. Things take longer to get up here anyway.

49. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    I think the people who are most worried have the best chances on getting in b/c their stats are sooooo good!

50. Grasshopper, I think it's obvious that if you really wanted to go to med school you would've worked harder on keeping your grades up. Better luck next time around!
    Might wanna retake the mcat while you're at it.
    ;)

51. coop

Mar 4, 2001
    moo,
    yeah I got the email from them on 8/10 and sent off the html version of my amcas the next day. i think they must have recieved my full deal from amcas, but your guess is really as good as mine.