What is a comfortable amount of interviews for IM (or any specialty for that matter)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BITB11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many interviews I should aim to go on to feel comfortable about matching. Was invited to 4 thus far.

I am applying IM with below average board scores:
Comlex I: 475,
Comlex 2: 520,
Step 2: 233
Didn't take step 1 (I know, I shouldn't have listened to people who said you don't need it)

I have 4 publications in American journal of medicine, Journal of lipidology, journal of clinical endocrinology if that helps at all?

Rest of my application is average. Wasn't any outstanding volunteered or leader or win any sig awards/scholarships.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your in good shape. I would shoot for 10-12. Having 4 already means your definitely on pace IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school help you with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think you could take step 2 without having a passing score on step 1!!!

Hahahahaha hahahahaha

Haha, only asking because we have a few full-time employees who's sole job is to specifically help us navigate this stuff, including required meetings periodically to check up on us. I guess it's not like that everywhere.

Haha, only asking because we have a few full-time employees who's sole job is to specifically help us navigate this stuff, including required meetings periodically to check up on us. I guess it's not like that everywhere.
My school had something like this. She was the career counseler or something like that, and she always acted like she had extra information to help us and when I would ask her a specific question she would say to make an appointment. So I made an appointment and drove two hours back from my rotation site to see her thinking she would have specific information (like how many apps to send) in the specialty I am applying for. Of course she didn't. She tried to tell me the info was in charting outcomes (it wasn't) and basically she told me to have a backup, even tho she was saying I should only apply to 30 residencies in my primary. I was very mad that I wasted all that time going to see her, and she had much less info than I did. I should have known better by now.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally recommend going to as many interview as you can as long as it's financially and time wise viable.
You'd be surprised how many you thought you'd like but dont and vise versa.
That doesn't mean take out a loan or take a risk of failing a rotation.
Itll going to be a grueling and expensive process but what's another 1-2k in grand scheme of things... (yes, I do wish I had those ¹-2k back...)
That being said, people say 10-12 is the magic number. But honestly, there is on such a thing. You can always be the outlier bc there gotta be some.
You'd rather be in the shoes of picking which ones to rank rather than being scared you dont have many on your rank list.

Agreed with the homies above.

Once I get to 12-14 interviews, I’m dumping all the places I don’t want to go and will hold off for the actual programs I want to attend.

Rather end up in BFE rather than unmatched.

Most programs haven’t even started to hit us up being it isn’t October. Sooo if you got like 5-6 IIs... you’re good right now.

Reactions: 1 users