WHAT is a credit hour?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotalDomination

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school didn't use credit hours...and I can't seem to figure out what a credit hour is or how many credit hours go into 1 full class....help please?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school didn't use credit hours...and I can't seem to figure out what a credit hour is or how many credit hours go into 1 full class....help please?

Just ask your registrar. They will have the answer for how to translate whatever system your school uses to the more 'standard' credit hours.

What school do you go to and how long have you been a student there?

My institution did the same thing. Most classes were 1 credit and some courses, like physics and chemistry, were 1.25 credits because the lab was really really time consuming.

You calculate GPA the same way you would with credits. If I got an A in chemistry and a B+ in history, my GPA would be calculated like this:

[1.25(4.00) + 1(3.33)] / [1.25+1]

Woot non-standard credit systems!

We have the 1-credit a class system, too. Labs are 0.5, taken completely separately from the lecture course. Registrar tells us to count each class as 4 credits, but that would mean I'm taking 24 credits this semester and that's outrageous...but it's definitely more work/time than 18 credits so I usually compromise and use 3.5-credit multiplier when people ask me how many "credits" I'm taking. To everyone else at school, I'm taking 6 credits this fall.

Ours doesn't even give extra for labs so I am hopeful that schools will not count me off for lack of required science classes. We generally take 4 classes a semester and have to get permission to go over 5.

WHAT... is the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

(couldn't help myself)